Better value gaming CPU than $130 i3-7350K?

Just now, emosun said:

provided your app supports one core , so ms paint and calculator will get a performance boost

right, the 2670 is way better. Provided your app supports 8 cores. Unless the dude also streams or does VM's or whatever, the R3 is better.

Just now, Potato*Salad said:

Games don't use all those cores and threads, i live on a planet named Earth, perhaps you should take a look into doing that some day.

Even gta 5 , a 4 year old game will run on every available core regardless of count , I know this because I can literally see it using every core.

Just now, emosun said:

Even gta 5 , a 4 year old game will run on every available core regardless of count , I know this because I can literally see it using every core.

I gain FPS turning HT off on my six core, and that is at 4.57ghz, what chance does the measly 3.3ghz turbo 2670 have with 8 + HT ?

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Unless the dude also streams or does VM's or whatever, the R3 is better.

unless the dude has some sort of operating system that like , could use the extra cores , so that like......

.... the game would use different ones. what a strange concept

1 minute ago, Potato*Salad said:

I gain FPS turning HT off on my six core, and that is at 4.57ghz, what chance does the measly 3.3ghz turbo 2670 have with 8 + HT ?

well your might just be broke ht only should increase app speed , never seen that issue before. I run 12 and always see performance gain with it on.

Just now, emosun said:

unless the dude has some sort of operating system that like , could use the extra cores , so that like......

.... the game would use different ones. what a strange concept

Again, pointless unless OP is also streaming

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

what planet do you live on it has 8 cores lol , that 4 more for those that need help with their first grade math

Please dont offer advise when you dont know what your talking about, it can be harmful to the consumer. 

Games cantfully utilize all cored you have on a cpu, which means more cores isnt always better. most games still use 2-4 cores/threads. In fact, most of the time when you add more cores in, you lose single thread performance, which is the exact opposite of what you need. having 2-4 cores that are more efficient and can overclock is the better buy. If the OP was building a workstation for multithreaded tasks then a xeon would be a great option. Noone is saying that the xeon is a BAD cpu, its just not what he needs and you are pushing something that is very inaccurate. 

All of this info is as easy as a google search away, please stop arguing and just google the facts =/

Just now, Daniel Z. said:

Again, pointless unless OP is also streaming

or unless they have more that one program running at a time which , if you haven't noticed , is the norm today for any windows machine.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

well your might just be broke ht only should increase app speed , never seen that issue before. I run 12 and always see performance gain with it on.

"broken HT", this 4790K must be broken too.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Just now, Trulop said:

Games cantfully utilize all cored you have on a cpu

bad games*

1 minute ago, Trulop said:

it can be harmful to the consumer.

this coming from the people that want the consumer to buy a cpu thats half the speed and then buy ANOTHER cpu again.

52 minutes ago, Himommies said:

what are you looking at?Also stop comparing it the the 1300 because if you factor in the cost of a X79 mobo you can get a 1600

oh really , how about factoring in the two ryzens they need to buy before it's actually a competitive speed? lol. you need first the slow ryzen 3 just to get the machine working , then an upgrade in the future to match the 2670 so go ahead and factor in your double cpu purchase.

or unless they have more that one program running at a time which , if you haven't noticed , is the norm today for any windows machine.

i am done arguing with you. Is google blocked in your country?

bad games*

this coming from the people that want the consumer to buy a cpu thats half the speed and then buy ANOTHER cpu again.

Where do u get this "half" nonsense? Ryzen 3 has better percore performance. The raw performance of the 2670 is higher but much less than 100% better

Userbenchmark pits the Ryzen as +9% better than the 2670, plus the fact it can OC puts it even higher, only thing that Xeon wins in is multi core which matters sweet fuck all for gaming since IPC reigns king and this is where that Xeon falls short vs the Ryzen 3 CPU.

If the Xeon could OC, THEN and ONLY THEN would it compete and actually beat the little R3 CPU, but because it cannot, it simply cannot compete in GAMING.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

Where do u get this "half" nonsense? Ryzen 3 has better percore performance. The raw performance of the 2670 is higher but much less than 100% better

you're going to somehow convincne me a cpu that barely cracks 600 in cinebench is somehow good?

lol dream on , if you want to spend 2017 money on 2010 performance go right ahead have at it.

Just now, emosun said:

you're going to somehow convincne me a cpu that barely cracks 600 in cinebench is somehow good?

lol dream on , if you want to spend 2017 money on 2010 performance go right ahead have at it.

Might as well recommend the FX series CPUs - the FX 9590 beats the E5-2670 in Single Core (110 points) and is still much faster in Cinebench than the R3. Oh wait, nobody recommends the FX Series because it has really bad single core performance...

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, batnipples said:

Hey all, I'm running a really old CPU and looking to upgrade to a new CPU for something for around $130. Focus is on gaming performance. A lot of people were complaining about the i3-7350K when it came out because it was nearly as expensive as some of the i5's of the same gen. However, I can get the i3-7350K for $130 now. Assuming that I will overclock the CPU (using a 212 EVO for cooling with a well-ventilated case), is there another CPU that offers better gaming performance in that budget range? I was looking at the RYZEN 3 1300X, which is also $130 now, but apparently it is a worse performer for gaming (again, my priority is on gaming, not multitasking/video-editing/whatever). 
I like playing some CPU-intensive games like Total War and Planetside 2. Any advice will be much appreciated! 

Do you already have a Z170/Z270 mobo?  The absolute cheapest ones I can find are Z170 boards in the $85-90 price range (which might not support Kaby lake out of the box) and Z270 boards starting at $95-100.  With the i3-7350K, I doubt you'd have to worry much/at all about power delivery for overclocking to the moon, but the motherboard quality is something to very much take into consideration as far as your upgrade path is concerned (i.e. grabbing a 7600k or 7700k next year when people are upgrading to CoffeeLake which is coming out in like a week, you might want to wait and see what's going on there).  Also keep in mind Z170/Z270 is basically dead with the CoffeeLake requiring the new chipset.  So we're looking at $215 (cheapest Z170) to $230 (cheapest Z270), with another $20-30 being spent on the mobo being a pretty solid idea.

I personally can't stand using a hyperthreaded dual core, it's WAY too easy to peg out the CPU and bring your system to its knees even doing office work.  i3's (and quad core i5's) look great when you can be damn sure that your game is the only thing running on your system, but most games can EASILY use 4 processing threads, so as soon as your system tries to do something in the background you'll probably see a performance hit.  Back in the day when dual cores were barely a thing it wasn't uncommon at all to go through task manager and kill a bunch of processes/services so your games would run more smoothly.

You can get a solidly non-shit B350 motherboard for $70-75 (Asus Prime B350M-A, Asrock AB350M Pro4, etc), and an R5 1400 costs $160.  It's overclockable to 3.8 to 4GHz like every Ryzen CPU is, has 4 cores and 8 threads.  It comes with a decent cooler (stock cooler might limit you to 3.7 - 3.8).  Yes, single-thread performance will lag behind a 5GHz i3, but Ryzen will still have no problem pushing frames for 100+Hz gaming.  For $230-$240, you're looking at locked i7 performance, and your computer basically won't give a damn if windows decides screw around with something in the background.  Also, AM4 is basically brand new, so if you want to talk about upgrade paths, AMD plans to continue using socket AM4 until 2020 when they anticipate a new platform utilizing DDR5.  So when the updated/refined Ryzen successor comes out, and it keeps the great things established with Ryzen while lifting that fairly hard 4GHz limit, all you'll have to do is update your BIOS, buy a brand new chip, drop it in, and go.

I'm completely ignoring the topic of DDR4 and how much it costs because OP is already looking to switch to skylake/kabylake and needs to buy it either way.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 hours ago, Potato*Salad said:

Userbenchmark

lol

lets ask "can you run it?" next huh?

the 2670 is 40% faster in actual benchmarks. like getting over 1000 in cinebench and over 12000 in passmark . but as i said above , if you want to spend 2017 money on 2010 performance go right ahead have at it.

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

3 hours ago, emosun said:

lol

lets ask "can you run it?" next huh?

the 2670 is 40% faster in actual benchmarks. like getting over 1000 in cinebench and over 12000 in passmark . but as i said above , if you want to spend 2017 money on 2010 performance go right ahead have at it.

Actual benchmarks which have nothing to do with "gaming" where R3 shits on the Xeon... oh well i tried.

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

Just now, Potato*Salad said:

"gaming"

i'm so glad you put that in quotes

Just now, emosun said:

i'm so glad you put that in quotes

Thread title.

Better value gaming CPU than $130 i3-7350K?

But ohh no it's faster in cinebench but loses in single core speed..

I rest my case son.

4 minutes ago, Potato*Salad said:

I rest my case son.

go ahead and recommend the core two extreme because of it's "gaming" performance over the q6600 , see how long that "less is more" theory lasts over the years lol.

if only games in the future supported quad core cpu's , said everyone in 2007.

Hi everyone, thanks for your input so far. A little more information might be helpful for you guys to decide which CPU is best to upgrade to: 
As many people have mentioned, the mobo for the i3 will be a lot more expensive than for the R3. I don't have a mobo that supports either, so I will be upgrading that as well. I didn't realize there was such a great price disparity in mobos for these cpus, thanks for helping me realize that.  

My understanding is that the i3 has better single thread performance than either R3 (assuming OCs on both cpus), but that better multi-core utilization support will be coming to games in the next few years (thus favoring the Ryzen which has better multicore performance). 

I upgrade my CPU very rarely, so that seems to suggest I should give more weight to a quad-core CPU than the dual core i3. 

However, I honestly don't really mutlitask when I game. I end pretty much every other process I can when I start gaming. I try my best to keep my background processes to a minimum. 

I'm not sure if any of that makes a difference, but maybe it's helpful. Thanks again for the help.

Oh I should also mention. I don't really play shooters or other games that need very high FPS to run (I mentioned Planetside 2 before, but I honestly don't really play it much anymore). I'm more interested in getting a consistent 60 fps in games that are very cpu intensive (Total War games, for example). I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but maybe it does? I don't know enough about the topic to tell. 

@batnipples What is your total budget for CPU/RAM/motherboard? 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

@Ground I think around $250 for the CPU, Mobo and 8gb of DDR4. I know I can get a Ryzen 3 1200 and mobo bundle for around $180, and then the 8gb of Crucial DDR4 for $60. That seems like the best deal I've found, but I'm not sure if there's something better out there?