Better value gaming CPU than $130 i3-7350K?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

provided whatever board he uses bothers to release bios updates for those supposed cpu's.

Even the cheapest intel boards got a update for kaby lake so

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

becuase all the benchmarks i see show it as being much faster in almost every way.

what are you looking at?Also stop comparing it the the 1300 because if you factor in the cost of a X79 mobo you can get a 1600

My life

.... with a game that only runs on a single thread on one core maybe. what game are you referring to that ran better on ryzen 3 than the 2670 i'd like to see the benchmark results for it. I assuming it's either an indie title or a title that has known programming issues.

Most games only use up to 4 cores/threads still.

Now if the the Ryzen can beat the Xeon in single core, it means it'd also beats it in 4 core, yes? So that means in most games, it'd beat it

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

.... with a game that only runs on a single thread on one core maybe.

it's because of the 2670s lower clock speed

My life

1 minute ago, Himommies said:

it's because of the 2670s lower clock speed

i feel like i typed that it turbos to 3.3

i keep forgetting that it doesn't matter on this forum what the truth is because people care more about their pride than actually checking benchmarks. god forbid if you were proven wrong right?

forget i even asked , go ahead an buy the terrible ryzen you have my blessing.

The Ryzen also boosts clockspeed so.

But its funny cause you're the one thats wrong. For pure gaming, the r3 is the winner, just look at how they compare in single/quad core performance tests. 

I feel like we're all talking to a brick wall and can't get that through your thick skull, but whatever. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

40 minutes ago, batnipples said:

Hey all, I'm running a really old CPU and looking to upgrade to a new CPU for something for around $130. Focus is on gaming performance. A lot of people were complaining about the i3-7350K when it came out because it was nearly as expensive as some of the i5's of the same gen. However, I can get the i3-7350K for $130 now. Assuming that I will overclock the CPU (using a 212 EVO for cooling with a well-ventilated case), is there another CPU that offers better gaming performance in that budget range? I was looking at the RYZEN 3 1300X, which is also $130 now, but apparently it is a worse performer for gaming (again, my priority is on gaming, not multitasking/video-editing/whatever). 
I like playing some CPU-intensive games like Total War and Planetside 2. Any advice will be much appreciated! 

intel core i5 3570k

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

4 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I feel like we're all talking to a brick wall and can't get that through your thick skull, but whatever. 

It's like me and @Valkyrie Lenneth

My life

40 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Weird they're only £55 over here, wonder why its stupid high in the us.

37 minutes ago, Himommies said:

IMO Canada is second only to the US for PC part prices. Plus many people in Canada can pick up in US/drive to microcenter

11 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

For pure gaming, the r3 is the winner, just look at how they compare in single/quad core performance tests. 

ok show me

I would not buy a 2670 for gaming, only consider xeon if you can OC them since the low CPU price is well worth it, but factor in that X58, x79 boards are not usually cheap.

Ryzen R3 is a good buy.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

It's like me and @Valkyrie Lenneth

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

i keep forgetting that it doesn't matter on this forum what the truth is because people care more about their pride than actually checking benchmarks. god forbid if you were proven wrong right?

31 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

The motherboard's will cost more for that Xeon though.

And as he's only gaming, Ryzen has better single core performance, it'd beat the xeon for his uses.

And who's to say he wants to buy old used hardware?

I agree with @RKRiley and @Himommies. Not many games use 8 cores and the IPC should be similar considering Ryzen is slightly behind Haswell. For gaming the 2670 is horrible unless you specifically play games with 8 cores.

15 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

Yes, I agree

21 minutes ago, emosun said:

And where i bolded shows where you stand, don't have time for mindless and baseless bashing.

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

Just now, Potato*Salad said:

And where i bolded shows where you stand, don't have time for mindless and baseless bashing.

if it's the same price and slower than it's based on price , not baseless.

Just now, emosun said:

What? lemme repeat that. "If it's the same price and slower than its based on price" WTF does that even mean? You just said if it is the same price.

3 hours ago, emosun said:

A chip that requires an expensive x79 class motherboard which ARE NOT cheap.

Roughly 100 bucks for a superior IPC Ryzen R3 with board prices WAY below x79 on a newer manufacturing fab and even has an upgrade path if needed?

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up

Just now, emosun said:

if it's the same price

add in the price of the cheapest x70 board vs b350 then the 2670 is magically 100 dollars more expensive.

My life

Cheapest x79 board on the bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P9X79-MOTHERBOARD-LGA-2011-X79-I-O-SHIELD-ASUSTEK-/253185506166?epid=114478781&hash=item3af3083b76:g:H9IAAOSwJ59Z0TJS

And that is the CHEAPEST branded one, unless you want some chinese knock off that will implode after 2 hours usage?

oh and btw gentlemen seeing as NONE of you bothered to look it up

The ryzen 3 1200 gets a 158 in single core cinebench provided it's being overclocked. The e5-2670 gets 100 at stock speed in single core

Thats a measly 58% speed increase provided you only run tasks that support a single core.

In multicore performance (because it's 2017 not 2007) the ryzen 3 1200 hits 589 provided it's overclocked . The e5-2670 averages just over 1000.

Sacrificing half the cpu's performance just because a smattering of games might not support multiple cpus is a joke. It's the same people who thought the q6600 had too many cores. same old tune , nothings changed. the only difference is the people who had a q6600 got to enjoy them for years to come while the e8400 people learned their lesson the hard way.

you my friends are what i call , the "e8400" crowd. man , what a retro problem you guys have.

Just now, emosun said:

The ryzen 3 1200 gets a 158 in single core cinebench provided it's being overclocked. The e5-2670 gets 100 at stock speed in single core

Thats a measly 58% speed increase provided you only run tasks that support a single core.

In multicore performance (because it's 2017 not 2007) the ryzen 3 1200 hits 589 provided it's overclocked . The e5-2670 averages just over 1000.

Sacrificing half the cpu's performance just because a smattering of games might not support multiple cpus is a joke. It's the same people who thought the q6600 had too many cores. same old tune , nothings changed. the only difference is the people who had a q6600 got to enjoy them for years to come while the e8400 people learned their lesson the hard way.

you my friends are what i call , the "e8400" crowd. man , what a retro problem you guys have.

right, measly 58%. If my family got a 58% wage bump we would be top 1 percent in some states.

3 minutes ago, Potato*Salad said:

Cheapest x79 board on the bay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-P9X79-MOTHERBOARD-LGA-2011-X79-I-O-SHIELD-ASUSTEK-/253185506166?epid=114478781&hash=item3af3083b76:g:H9IAAOSwJ59Z0TJS

And that is the CHEAPEST branded one, unless you want some chinese knock off that will implode after 2 hours usage?

Chinese don't explode, just horrible parts and BIOS.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well you just clearly proved you lost this argument which we never needed proof for anyway.

Single core performance means all cores, since there is more than 1 on that CPU, get it now?

Even my x58 chips surpasses the 2670 for gaming but that's due to the OC on it, it's not news..

Ryzen 3 is a better purchase all around vs that xeon.

1 minute ago, Potato*Salad said:

Single core performance means all cores, since there is more than 1 on that CPU, get it now?

what planet do you live on it has 8 cores lol , that 4 more for those that need help with their first grade math

Just now, emosun said:

what planet do you live on it has 8 cores lol , that 4 more for those that need help with their first grade math

Games don't use all those cores and threads, i live on a planet named Earth, perhaps you should take a look into doing that some day.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

right, measly 58%

provided your app supports one core , so ms paint and calculator will get a performance boost