What to use for a custom window

kelvinhall05

So, I want to make a custom side panel for my system, and I have everything sorted out except for where to get the acrylic or glass that I need. I'm in London, ON, and I need a piece of glass, but it would probably have to be custom made. Where would I get this? How much would it cost? Thanks!

Here's the shape I want to get, I have measurements but just imagine it on a side panel:

Untitled.png

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

So, I want to make a custom side panel for my system, and I have everything sorted out except for where to get the acrylic or glass that I need. I'm in London, ON, and I need a piece of glass, but it would probably have to be custom made. Where would I get this? How much would it cost? Thanks!

Here's the shape I want to get, I have measurements but just imagine it on a side panel:

Acrylic would be easiest to work with but if you want glass any local glass shop can cut you a regular piece of window glass for usually less than $25, if you want tempered glass though that is custom sized that will have to be special ordered since it must be cut and shaped before tempering. 

If you want some general info on installation or ideas on it I have a guide here that goes over most of the steps. 

Go for acrylic, it's cheaper, lighter, harder to break, less troublesome if you do break it, easier to work with, so on and so on. 

If you want a glass side panel, buy a tempered glass case rather than trying it yourself. IMO, if you need to ask for advice on it, you're not going to be able to get very good results. Acrylic is much easier to work with which is why it's used so often by modders. 

You can try to find a local handyman or glass maker. You can also try your hand at hand-cutting/molding glass (strongly recommending against the molding) yourself. 

Acrylic offers a high degree of leniency to mistakes for you and your wallet. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Go for acrylic, it's cheaper, lighter, harder to break, less troublesome if you do break it, easier to work with, so on and so on. 

If you want a glass side panel, buy a tempered glass case rather than trying it yourself. IMO, if you need to ask for advice on it, you're not going to be able to get very good results. Acrylic is much easier to work with which is why it's used so often by modders. 

Where would I get acrylic? Would it be something I could just get at Home Depot and cut myself or would I have to custom order it?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You can try to find a local handyman or glass maker. You can also try your hand at hand-cutting/molding glass (strongly recommending against the molding) yourself. 

Acrylic offers a high degree of leniency to mistakes for you and your wallet. 

I think I'll go for the acrylic, any suggestions on where to get it?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Your local hardware store should have some sheets. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Where would I get acrylic? Would it be something I could just get at Home Depot and cut myself or would I have to custom order it?

Look for a local plastics supplier if there is one nearby but Home depot and such does have acrylic, you can cut it the same as wood on the table saw to the size you require. 

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

You can get sheets of acrylic from DIY stores like Home Depot and smaller sheets from some crafts and hobby stores. Most will just be your standard clear acrylic, so if you're wanting a coloured, frosted or whatever type, you'll need to look online really. Online, you'll be able to get it cut to size fairly cheaply, but if you want it cut to an irregular shape, it's going to cost you quite a bit more and you may even find that places won't do it on a one-off order of a small quantity. 

When I got an acrylic mounting plate laser cut for my build, it took me quite a while to find somewhere that would do a one off order of a single piece for a reasonable price, and even then, they said they'd make an exception and normally I'd need a much larger order. 

You can also look for Perspex, Plexiglass and similar brands. They're all acrylic, but sometimes the brandnames are synonymous with the material.