Radiator placement? (AIO cpu, lots of fans)

nothsa

I've just purchased a full tower (be quiet! Dark Base 900) which has plenty of space for fans and my AIO CPU cooler (Corsair h100i), so now I have radiator mounting options and would like to figure out the optimal placement for my AIO radiator.

Important to note: I have a 1070 and 1080ti that dump a bunch of hot air into my case. In my current mid-tower, my radiator is mounted at the top w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 fans pulling out of the case, which I think is negatively impacting CPU thermals as all of the hot GPU air is being pulled across the rad.

This is what I'm thinking:

- Mount the rad at the front instead of the top, pulling cooler air into the case

- Add 2/3 more fans (I have plenty to spare) to the top of the case to exhaust the hot air

I can see pros and cons to both mounting locations, but Ideally I don't want to spend hours testing out all the variables. Any thoughts?

Moving the rad to the front will definitely help your CPU temperatures, and stick exhaust fans on the back and top of the case.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Temp difference in rad placement is extremely minimal assuming you have a good, even flow pattern. Your suggestion sounds optimal.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Moving the rad to the front will definitely help your CPU temperatures, and stick exhaust fans on the back and top of the case.

+1 for this. Put the rad in the front as your intake and exhaust out the back and top. 

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

Should be good how you're planing on doing it. Make sure you get good static pressure fans to force air through the rad

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

Front mounting actually does usually help a little with cooling performance, although not a significant amount. When you have it mounted at the top, which is usually exhaust due to heat rising, you are pulling the warm air from your case through your radiator. When you have it mounted at the front with the front as an intake. You are pulling cool air from outside the case over the radiator . The downside to that, is you are in turn, pulling warm air into the case after it runs through the radiator. I prefer front mounting myself, and my graphics card has a waterblock built in so I don't have to worry about warm air having an adverse effect on my GPU temps.

Intel i7-7700k @ 5.1ghz | Asus ROG Maximus Hero IX | Asus ROG Poseidon Platinum 1080ti @ 2126mhz | 64gb Trident-Z DDR4 @ 3600mhz | Samsung 960 Pro 1tb @ 3500mbps/2500mbps | Crucial 240gb SSD | Toshiba 4tb 7200rpm HDD w/ Crucial 128gb SSD cache | Corsair Hx1000i PSU | EK 360mm Coolstream XE Radiator | EK-Supremacy Evo Waterblock | EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition Pump | EK-RES X3 150 RGB Reservoir | Primochill AdvancedLRT Clear Tubing | Primochill VUE UV Blue Coolant | Corsair 570x Crystal RGB Case | 4x 30cm CableMod UV/RGB Widebeam Hybrid Led Strip | 3x 120mm Corsair SP120 RGB Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC 3000rpm Fans | 3x Noctua NF-A12x15 Fan | CableMod ModFlex PSU & SATA Cables | Asus ROG Swift 27" 4k IPS w/G-Sync & LG UD68 27" 4k IPS w/Freesync |

23 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

23 hours ago, kagarium said:

+1 for this. Put the rad in the front as your intake and exhaust out the back and top. 

+3 

GPU runs hotter than CPU, so you want the CPU AIO running in front as intake to get the fresh cool air.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430