Might AMD just be phasing out AM3+ in favor of FM2+?

So the thought just occurred to me that AMD may be shifting towards eliminating their AM series of processors and chipsets, instead favoring to streamline it all into a single socket. FM2+

I just purchased an Athlon II X4 760k, (thing performs amazingly, and overclocks well) and if you didn't already know, it's basically just an A10 without the iGPU. This got me thinking, that with the next series of APU's, should there not be another Athlon series?

What would keep AMD from developing 8-Core enthusiast CPUs for the FM2+ socket, other than the limitations of the current chipsets? It could be why we haven't seen any fresh information on an FX update, they may be hiding this from us until they are ready to announce such a thing.

(Also on another note, somewhat but not really related. The stock FM2 coolers are garbage, just a tiny aluminum heatsink and fan, I swapped mine for a stock AM3+ cooler a buddy had after he upgraded his cooling. I'm getting right up to 70c at 4.3GHz full load, (running Prime95 small FFT))

Any way I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this, and any explanation as to why this wouldn't be a viable option.

post-44192-0-74596800-1386141367.jpg

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

did u see their roadmap for the next few years? its quite clear they are focusing on APU's and not touching their fx lines

did u see their roadmap for the next few years? its quite clear they are focusing on APU's and not touching their fx lines

I was thinking of something completely new, that they are keeping hush hush. Not having a high end solution for 2 years is a pretty bold move and I believe they aren't giving the whole story. I didn't say that these new CPU's had to be FX series. This is all rampant speculation though. Long story short, top secret FM2+ CPU's with not iGPU w/ more cores and better performance.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

everyone already knows this -_- its in there road map also just because they are getting rid of there "enthusiast" platform doesnt mean fm2 or fm3 or whatever they decide to call it cant be there new enthusiast platform look at next gen consoles there using 8 core apus and the athlon x750k isnt an apu but works on fm3 look at intel there 1156 1155 1150 are all apus and they still perform extremely well this isnt the end of amd giving us enthusiast products this is amd moving forward making it some what simpler by it all being on the one socket. 

Not really a fan of the whole "giving up" FX series, I'm an Intel user, but a friend of mine that has a watercooled system with an X6 (don't know which model), he can achieve huge levels of OC with really good temps. And same goes for the FX-8350, another friend of mine has it and god, with a cheap as cooler he can OC like i've never seen before with a thing like that, and not only that, but the perfomance of this thing is insane for the price!

So is it a good idea for hardcore gamers and productivity (also OC'ers) to ditch the FX series ? Not in my opinion no, I just think that the FX series are great CPUs for the price and that APU are good, but seriously, a HARDCORE PC GAMER MASTER RACE, is just not going to use that weak thing called GPU in that APU.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

AMD is not going to give up the cpu race, they do need a secure hold on their investments and gain money so they can throw money at R&D said CPU's

its like people fail to understand how companies need to do things to stay afloat.

I was thinking of something completely new, that they are keeping hush hush. Not having a high end solution for 2 years is a pretty bold move and I believe they aren't giving the whole story. I didn't say that these new CPU's had to be FX series. This is all rampant speculation though. Long story short, top secret FM2+ CPU's with not iGPU w/ more cores and better performance.

ok well i meant there are no CPU's coming in the next couple of years unless they surprise us

only APU's with more cores better performnace less power and all that good stuff. are coming. go check their roadmap

AMD is not going to give up the cpu race, they do need a secure hold on their investments and gain money so they can throw money at R&D said CPU's

its like people fail to understand how companies need to do things to stay afloat.

they arent giving it up definitly but they are focusing on their APU's GPU's and mantle MUCH more than CPU's for the next couple of years

they arent giving it up definitly but they are focusing on their APU's GPU's and mantle MUCH more than CPU's for the next couple of years

Since APU's and server grade hardware is where the money is at i have no problems with this.

technically the fx line is an apu as amd class apu's as any cpu with onboard graphics so i think people are taking this wrong that they arent doing the high end when that would just be like rpging yourself in the foot 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

Since APU's and server grade hardware is where the money is at i have no problems with this.

yea its perfect they are going where their strengths are, its smart