Rig for Computer Engineering

SpeedRicer
Go to solution Solved by brob,
58 minutes ago, SpeedRicer said:

I was considering a laptop, but I know I am going to be gaming a lot in college so Id rather have a PC to play on instead of dealing with a loud and hot laptop

Gaming a lot? You really think there is that much free time in college? xD

Hey Everyone!

I plan on majoring in Computer Engineering in college, and I want to build a small rig for the heavy loads of work, as well as gaming at 720p. My budget is around 500-700$ and I already have a monitor and peripherals. Thank you!

What is "heavy loads of work"?

Just asking... Because heavy load and 700$ might not go that well together depending on said load ... :-)

16 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

What is "heavy loads of work"?

Just asking... Because heavy load and 700$ might not go that well together depending on said load ... :-)

To be honest with you I am not sure, as of right now I am a senior in high school and I have been trying to look at which programs CE majors use, but I have yet to find a definite answer. I recently got a job and have been saving up so far. I plan on getting a Surface Pro for class, but I want to do most of the work on my rig. 

Sounds like 8 core ryzen 1700 will help greatly in your application. 

CPU: Ryzen 1700 ~270 bucks

MoBo: B350 something ~80 bucks

RAM: 16GB kit ~120 bucks

PSU: ~500W, ~30 bucks

GPU: GTX 1050/ rx560 ~100 bucks

Storage: 2TB HDD ~60 bucks, 128GB Boot drive ~50 bucks

Case: Whatever ~50 bucks

This would be about $750, but you can remove the SSD to get in down to 700 dollars.

Just now, whoisit1118 said:

Sounds like 8 core ryzen 1700 will help greatly in your application. 

CPU: Ryzen 1700 ~270 bucks

MoBo: B350 something ~80 bucks

RAM: 16GB kit ~120 bucks

PSU: ~500W, ~30 bucks

GPU: GTX 1050/ rx560 ~100 bucks

Storage: 2TB HDD ~60 bucks, 128GB Boot drive ~50 bucks

Case: Whatever ~50 bucks

This would be about $750, but you can remove the SSD to get in down to 700 dollars.

Honestly, Cheaper CPU like 1600 might be just fine in compiling.

8 hours ago, SpeedRicer said:

To be honest with you I am not sure, as of right now I am a senior in high school and I have been trying to look at which programs CE majors use, but I have yet to find a definite answer. I recently got a job and have been saving up so far. I plan on getting a Surface Pro for class, but I want to do most of the work on my rig. 

Student computing loads are not usually "heavy". Given the budget something like an i5 or r5 with 8GB of memory and an ssd should be fine. Toss in a GTX 1050 Ti for gaming and you should be good to go. 

Did you consider getting a decent laptop instead of a Surface Pro and desktop?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

CPU: Core I5-8400 ~$230 

MoBo: Z370 Anything ~$120

RAM: 16GB kit ~$120 

PSU: 500W~ $30 

GPU: GTX 1050ti ~$160 

Storage: 1TB HDD ~$50, 128GB SSD~ $70 

Case: Whatever ~$50 

Optical Drive: Any ~$20 

I personally wouldn't use Ryzen or AMD there not really made for anything besides gaming .

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

6 minutes ago, Douglas The Duck said:

CPU: Core I5-8400 ~$230 

MoBo: Z370 Anything ~$120

RAM: 16GB kit ~$120 

PSU: 500W~ $30 

GPU: GTX 1050ti ~$160 

Storage: 1TB HDD ~$50, 128GB SSD~ $70 

Case: Whatever ~$50 

Optical Drive: Any ~$20 

I personally wouldn't use Ryzen or AMD there not really made for anything besides gaming .

The 8400 has an MSRP of $182, you won't find a decent 500W PSU for $30, $70 for a 120GB SSD is way overpriced, and why would anyone need an ODD?

Ryzen is not made for gaming, and due to the higher thread count, it's often times better than their equivalent Intel counterparts in productivity. 

:)

8 hours ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Lol, that's like the exact opposite of what all the Intel fanboys have been saying.

If anything, Ryzen is made for not gamers.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Lol, that's like the exact opposite of what all the Intel fanboys have been saying.

If anything, Ryzen is made for not gamers.

Yeah, I goofed I was in between classes at the time, so I had to rush. lol 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

Perhaps like this with more cores

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pxF6JV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pxF6JV/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($195.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($124.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Toshiba - Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($51.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card  ($154.89 @ B&H) 
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($59.93 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($44.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $708.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-28 21:27 EDT-0400

10 hours ago, brob said:

Student computing loads are not usually "heavy". Given the budget something like an i5 or r5 with 8GB of memory and an ssd should be fine. Toss in a GTX 1050 Ti for gaming and you should be good to go. 

Did you consider getting a decent laptop instead of a Surface Pro and desktop?

I was considering a laptop, but I know I am going to be gaming a lot in college so Id rather have a PC to play on instead of dealing with a loud and hot laptop

58 minutes ago, SpeedRicer said:

Gaming a lot? You really think there is that much free time in college? xD

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I am a computer engineer. You will be using the school servers a lot as the software for a lot of this stuff is $$$. Also, generating bitstreams for fpgas is cpu bound. But, I only started using my own rig around my 3rd year when they let us each have fpgas. 

A good laptop that you can ssh with is all you need really