Supply power to an old motherboard

erzz

Hey, I have a HP Compaq 8000 elite sff motherboard that I collected for a tiny socket 775 test bench, but the motherboard has custom power plugs, is there any power converters on the market?

hp-compaq-socket-775-motherboard-elite-8000-sff-ecom4u-1610-29-ecom4u@2.jpg.6d31d4fee341ab97f506345dad09747a.jpg

This is the motherboard, to the left of the ram slots are the power plugs, the pci-e looking one, the 6 pins and the 4 pin.

Considering it's a custom power connector, it's very unlikely you'll find converts from ATX to it. Especially considering that according to page 76 on http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01960471 there's two power connectors, and I already see one incompatible pin: 12V_SB. There is no +12V_SB in ATX. It's +5V_SB (though the _SB pins aren't really necessary, it just won't let some facilities of the PC when it's in standby or off to work). In any case, you can make your own connector with an ATX power supply, but I don't think anyone sells a converter specifically for this board.

At this point, it might better to find a smaller ATX compliant board than try to get this puppy powered up.

The only way to power this might be to find a power supply off of a HP Compaq 8000 elite to use. These OEM custom motherboards used some strange connectors and are often completely incompatible with any standard.

that's not "old" as much as it is proprietary.

HP still makes matching power supplies, and they are actually surprisingly high quality.

13 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's not "old" as much as it is proprietary.

HP still makes matching power supplies, and they are actually surprisingly high quality.

In europe they're very rare, on amazon they cost around 100eur.

43 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Considering it's a custom power connector, it's very unlikely you'll find converts from ATX to it. Especially considering that according to page 76 on http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01960471 there's two power connectors, and I already see one incompatible pin: 12V_SB. There is no +12V_SB in ATX. It's +5V_SB (though the _SB pins aren't really necessary, it just won't let some facilities of the PC when it's in standby or off to work). In any case, you can make your own connector with an ATX power supply, but I don't think anyone sells a converter specifically for this board.

At this point, it might better to find a smaller ATX compliant board than try to get this puppy powered up.

Thanks for the reply, do you have any idea what I wont be able to do with +12V_SB?

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Whatever +5V_SB on ATX does, most likely.

I'm guessing its for standby and sleep.

47 minutes ago, erzz said:

In europe they're very rare, on amazon they cost around 100eur.

as in, you as average joe can order them from HP directly.

and i never said they're cheap, quality power supplies arent cheap ;)

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Manpreet said:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32458527208.html

Check out the link

This is exactly what u r looking for.

Was going to say, it can easily be adapted.  Heck, Ive built an adapter to make something like this work before.  You just need a 5v -> 12v step up voltage regulator, which looks to be integrated into that pre-fab adapter.