A External graphics card dock on USB Type c

Bharaj

I have a laptop ASUS ROG GL522VW 

Specifications 

i7-6700HQ 

GTX 960M 

1TB hard disk

I was thinking about upgrade it a little bit if i can add external graphics card with it like gtx 1060 6GB 

but with an external gpu dock which max graphics card can i attach via usb type-c 

or 

we have another way by removing screws open laptop and remove wifi adapter external power supply mini pcie cable and a [Mini PCI-E Version] V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock 

what we can do with usb type c is it shit ?

Pretty sure you can't over USB type c, it has to be Thunderbolt.

And the other method is a bit janky, to say the least, not very convenient to use the laptop at that point. You'd need an external power supply to power the card, and also a monitor to have the output displayed on.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

And the other method is a bit janky, to say the least, not very convenient to use the laptop at that point. You'd need an external power supply to power the card, and also a monitor to have the output displayed on.

i am gonna use pcie slots to upgrade and gtx1060 6bs is enough with i7-6700hq with and 16 ram ?

You won't be able to do an external GPU solution with the USB-C ports on that laptop, as they are not also Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are required for those external GPU docks. Your second method would probably work if you set it up right, but it's going to be pretty strange, and will require that you play on separate display, as there isn't going to be any way for the external GPU to send the video signal back to the laptop's display.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

what about usb type c is it useless?

1 minute ago, TShirt_Ninja said:

You won't be able to do an external GPU solution with the USB-C ports on that laptop, as they are not also Thunderbolt 3 ports, which are required for those external GPU docks. Your second method would probably work if you set it up right, but it's going to be pretty strange, and will require that you play on separate display, as there isn't going to be any way for the external GPU to send the video signal back to the laptop's display.

you know gtx 960M in 2017 is like having a ps3 in 2017  so suggest some else if we can do 

1 minute ago, Bharaj said:

The usb type-c port must support thunderbolt-3 for any of the external gpu docks to function. Due to the bandwidth thunderbolt-3 provides.

(ノ≧∇≦)ノ ミ ┸━┸

2 minutes ago, Bharaj said:

Your type-c port will not work with external gpu's. It is just a faster usb port.

Your other method will likely work, but the experience will likely not be very good, because at that point your laptop is becoming more of a desktop. But yes, the specs you listed in the other post will power a 1060 just fine.

1 minute ago, Syn Messer said:

Your type-c port will not work with external gpu's. It is just a faster usb port.

Your other method will likely work, but the experience will likely not be very good, because at that point your laptop is becoming more of a desktop. But yes, the specs you listed in the other post will power a 1060 just fine.

1060 6 gb can easily run any game on FHD display ?

Just now, Bharaj said:

1060 6 gb can easily run any game on FHD display ?

As a former 1060 user, yes. It should run most games from medium to high settings at 1080p with 60+ FPS

It's unlikely your Type C port supports Thunderbolt, which is what's required to run an eGPU.  Any PCIe slots in the laptop are mini PCIe slots, which are only x1 slots. Meaning they won't drive a GPU very well at all.

Basically you can't use an eGPU to perform an upgrade.

Just now, Syn Messer said:

As a former 1060 user, yes. It should run most games from medium to high settings at 1080p with 60+ FPS

how about 1070 6GB ?

with a i7-6700 HQ 

will it bottle neck 

6 minutes ago, kingforge said:

The usb type-c port must support thunderbolt-3 for any of the external gpu docks to function. Due to the bandwidth thunderbolt-3 provides.

laptop upgrade is a mess : (:$

14 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

But doesn't USB C have thunderbolt capability?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Just now, King_of_Oz said:

It can do, however on that laptop, it doesn't.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, Bharaj said:

how about 1070 6GB ?

with a i7-6700 HQ 

will it bottle neck 

To the best of my knowledge it should be fine. If you are going with a 1070 (they make 6gb 1070's?) you might start seeing some minor bottle necking due to it being a mobile cpu. Though if you do start seeing a bottle neck I doubt it will be big enough to ruin the performance to unplayable. 

Although at this rate I would recommend either getting a desktop or new laptop. It would be simpler, but I don't know what prices are like in your part of the world so maybe this is the best alternative.

1 minute ago, King_of_Oz said:

A lot of modern ones do, but there are a lot that don't. There are plenty of reviews on laptop that have a type-c port but no thunderbolt. The type-c port is just a new for of usb otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Bharaj said:

how about 1070 6GB ?

with a i7-6700 HQ 

will it bottle neck 

1070 6gb doest exist.

BTW the cpu won't bottleneck but the connection for the gpu will.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

i do have a alienware 17 

but this asus laptop is also preety damn good just looking to upgrade to its limits

how about 32 gb ram and a ssd 500GB 

and it wil get a gtx 1060 or 1070  

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

To using the mini PCIe adapter to get an external GPU:

Mini PCIe slots are x1. They will severely bottleneck GPUs.

means i put my asus rog gl552 vw in bin ? 

because it has a gtx960M 

even a 1050 is better than it 

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're asking if there's any possibility of upgrading it to an appreciable degree, no, there is no possibility.

what you think i make a video to try what we can do with it max its limits?

The reason you're having difficulties is because laptops are not MEANT to be upgraded, safe for maybe the RAM on some models, but still. The GPU is literally soldered onto the board. I had exactly the same problem as you just a few weeks ago, and my only suggestion is to do what I did and sell the Laptop on ebay (I backed up all my files on my Server, but you can just use another laptop or an external USB HDD) and then use the money you get from that plus some extra (seeing that you're trying to add a GPU to your laptop and buy an expensive dock for it, I'd say you have enough) to buy a full PC. Use the money you were going to spend on the GPU and dock to buy a GPU and Monitor and the money you get from selling your laptop to buy the rest of the system.

22 minutes ago, TheGhastModding said:

The reason you're having difficulties is because laptops are not MEANT to be upgraded, safe for maybe the RAM on some models, but still. The GPU is literally soldered onto the board. I had exactly the same problem as you just a few weeks ago, and my only suggestion is to do what I did and sell the Laptop on ebay (I backed up all my files on my Server, but you can just use another laptop or an external USB HDD) and then use the money you get from that plus some extra (seeing that you're trying to add a GPU to your laptop and buy an expensive dock for it, I'd say you have enough) to buy a full PC. Use the money you were going to spend on the GPU and dock to buy a GPU and Monitor and the money you get from selling your laptop to buy the rest of the system.

i cant do the upgrade i am thinking ?