Can anyone describe how ssd caching works?

330213759@qq.com
Go to solution Solved by amintha1992,

what is caching ???

SSD caching is like having a huge amount of RAM for your HDD. since HDD are slow at random reads and writes you can use a SSD which is much faster at random reads to act as a RAM or a buffer so anything that you use frequently can be stored there and be read quickly. (but SSD caching is not volatile like RAM, does not go away when power goes off)

this is all done automatically you dont have to manage any file or anything.

HOW ???

you can use software based caching solutions that can done on any combinations of HDD, SDD and Motherboard

or

use Intel's own technology (SRT = Smart Response Technology) that is implemented in certain motherboards (almost all resent ones) but this requires a specific motherboard and a SSD that is smaller than 32GB (i think, or it can be 64Gb). 

there also some SSD that is made for this specific task and those comes with a SSD caching software (again if i remember correctly) 

Other Solutions 

Get a bigger SSD and use it as a OS and program drive and a HDD to as storage 

get a Hybrid Drive such as Seagate momentus XT (less hassel but not as much storage as other options)

What is ssd caching or srt technology? I watched some videos and it says you can speed up your hdd with your ssd? Can anyone tell me what it is and how can i use it?

SSD caching is when you use your SSD to cache your HDD. Just felt like I would go ahead and give the "No Shit" answer :)

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Caching is when the most used files are stored on a flash memory to have faster and easier access later

SSD Caching is when the same principle of caching is applied to an SSD. The big benefit is the larger capacity and faster performance.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Caching is when the most used files are stored on a flash memory to have faster and easier access later

SSD Caching is when the same principle of caching is applied to an SSD. The big benefit is the larger capacity and faster performance.

Ok, so using part of the ssd to store frequently used files or applications on hdd and speed up. but is Intel ssd the only ssd that supports this technology?

SSD caching is when you use your SSD to cache your HDD. Just felt like I would go ahead and give the "No Shit" answer :)

do you have a youtube video link :) ?

Ok, so using part of the ssd to store frequently used files or applications on hdd and speed up. but is Intel ssd the only ssd that supports this technology?

No.

You can use any SSD with any HDD as long as you have the correct program (I think)

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

No.

You can use any SSD with any HDD as long as you have the correct program (I think)

You can with third party drives and their own proprietary software (i.e. Corsair accelerator, Sandisk Readycache) but they all suck compared to the Intel SRT cache (Intel based MB exclusive.) 

The cache will take some time to build and will vary on how much it benefits your usage.  

SSD cache isn't usually worth it. It's typically good for older machines or less technologically versed prebuilt users. It's not what you're looking for.

Error: 410

Think of it like RAM, but for your hard drive. That's what it is in a basic nutshell.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

SSD+HDD=more fasterness

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You can with third party drives and their own proprietary software (i.e. Corsair accelerator, Sandisk Readycache) but they all suck compared to the Intel SRT cache (Intel based MB exclusive.) 

The cache will take some time to build and will vary on how much it benefits your usage.  

SSD cache isn't usually worth it. It's typically good for older machines or less technologically versed prebuilt users. 

you know if samsung eve has such software?

you know if samsung eve has such software?

Evo drives uses RAM cache, so it's better to buy more RAM instead when using one of those drives. 

I do not believe Samsung has any specific SSD caches, and using an evo drive as a cache is a waste. 

Error: 410

what is caching ???

SSD caching is like having a huge amount of RAM for your HDD. since HDD are slow at random reads and writes you can use a SSD which is much faster at random reads to act as a RAM or a buffer so anything that you use frequently can be stored there and be read quickly. (but SSD caching is not volatile like RAM, does not go away when power goes off)

this is all done automatically you dont have to manage any file or anything.

HOW ???

you can use software based caching solutions that can done on any combinations of HDD, SDD and Motherboard

or

use Intel's own technology (SRT = Smart Response Technology) that is implemented in certain motherboards (almost all resent ones) but this requires a specific motherboard and a SSD that is smaller than 32GB (i think, or it can be 64Gb). 

there also some SSD that is made for this specific task and those comes with a SSD caching software (again if i remember correctly) 

Other Solutions 

Get a bigger SSD and use it as a OS and program drive and a HDD to as storage 

get a Hybrid Drive such as Seagate momentus XT (less hassel but not as much storage as other options)