Can't copy a 32Gb zip file to a 58Gb Usb (formated NTFS)

Grx
Go to solution Solved by Valkyrie Lenneth,
6 minutes ago, Grx said:

Sure, give me a minute to get them.

I see... I'll try to format it to use 64k and see if it works.

it is probably smarter to change the zip into PARTS ( using winrar or so )

split the 32gb into 4gb files or w/e u desire. 32gb itself for one file is quite big tho :P

Hey, I'm trying to copy this 32Gb zip file to my 58Gb Usb (formated with NTFS), but it somehow doesn't fit, even if the drive is fully empty...

I tried re-formatting the drive, but it still happens.

Got any idea why this may be?

What is the exact error message you're getting? 

And would you mind posting a picture showing the size of the file and the capacity of the destination volume? (just as a dumb sanity check)

Oh, and is this a cheap $1 flash drive or is it from a reputable brand AND seller?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you are a “Standard User” by Microsoft’s definition, you should keep the default 4096 bytes. Basically, the allocation unit size is the block size on your hard drive when it formats NTFS. If you have lots of small files, then it’s a good idea to keep the allocation size small so your harddrive space won’t be wasted. If you have lots of large files, keeping it higher will increase the system performance by having less blocks to seek.

Compare 4K vs 64K average case waste (32K-2K = 30K), for 10,000 files that only comes out to 300,000KB or around 300MB.

Instead think about how the OS uses space. Let’s say you have a 3K file which needs to grow 2K. With a 4K AUS the data needs to be split over two blocks – and they may not be together so you get fragmentation. With a 64K AUS there are a lot fewer blocks to keep track of and less fragmentation. 16x the block size means 1/16th the number of blocks to keep track of.

For a media disk where you photos, music and videos are stored, every file is at least 1MB I use the biggest AUS. For a windows boot partition I use the Windows default (which is 4K for any NTFS drive smaller than 16TB).

^

are u sure u havent set ur allocation size wrong and that it uses way more space with bigger files, thus not beeing able to put on the file required?

(◑‿◐)

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What is the exact error message you're getting? 

And would you mind posting a picture showing the size of the file and the capacity of the destination volume? 

2 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

If you are a “Standard User” by Microsoft’s definition, you should keep the default 4096 bytes. Basically, the allocation unit size is the block size on your hard drive when it formats NTFS. If you have lots of small files, then it’s a good idea to keep the allocation size small so your harddrive space won’t be wasted. If you have lots of large files, keeping it higher will increase the system performance by having less blocks to seek.

Compare 4K vs 64K average case waste (32K-2K = 30K), for 10,000 files that only comes out to 300,000KB or around 300MB.

Instead think about how the OS uses space. Let’s say you have a 3K file which needs to grow 2K. With a 4K AUS the data needs to be split over two blocks – and they may not be together so you get fragmentation. With a 64K AUS there are a lot fewer blocks to keep track of and less fragmentation. 16x the block size means 1/16th the number of blocks to keep track of.

For a media disk where you photos, music and videos are stored, every file is at least 1MB I use the biggest AUS. For a windows boot partition I use the Windows default (which is 4K for any NTFS drive smaller than 16TB).

^

are u sure u havent set ur allocation size wrong and that it uses way more space with bigger files, thus not beeing able to put on the file required?

1 minute ago, Grx said:

And what was the answer to my last question -- Is the flash drive from a reputable brand and seller, or some cheap thing you got ebay/other sketchy seller?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

And what was the answer to my last question -- Is the flash drive from a reputable brand and seller, or some cheap thing you got ebay/other sketchy seller?

Sorry, didn't see it...

Yes, it's from Kingston (DTR 3.0 G2) and bought it from a good site from here.

6 minutes ago, Grx said:

split the 32gb into 4gb files or w/e u desire. 32gb itself for one file is quite big tho :P

(◑‿◐)

The error it gives me is that there is not enough space on the stick. It apparently needs 6Gb more... Also, as you can see in the picture below, within a couple of seconds it already filled to 26Gb (somehow), but when I refreshed the page it would go down by 0.1Gb until it would stop and then go back up...

Zip File To Usb Stick.png

7 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

Yea, I see your point =D

It's basically one huge archive with all of my important files. I'll split it into parts and see how it goes.

@Valkyrie Lenneth @djdwosk97

The new format with 64k worked!

I'll split the zip into multiple smaller ones so I can also store smaller files on the usb stick, but for now at least I have it on there.

Thanks for helping me!

1 minute ago, Grx said:

@Valkyrie Lenneth @djdwosk97

The new format with 64k worked!

I'll split the zip into multiple smaller ones so I can also store smaller files on the usb stick, but for now at least I have it on there.

Thanks for helping me!

ah so it was just a allocation issue there :) next time make sure to adjust this to the files used hehe :P

so ur stick is all fine :)

theres always 2 options > split the files or change allocation size :D

(◑‿◐)