Core 2 Duo E7600, overclock for a noob

Go to solution Solved by Boomwebsearch,

I would make sure that the CPU that is unlocked (and able to be overclocked) and then I would slowly increase its clock speed to find a balance between overclocked performance and stability. I have included a helpful video (provided the link to it) that shows in specifics exactly how to overclock.

Link that shows how to overclock:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfXruwe8w4

Well, I was absent from this forum for quite a while, and while I was absent, I got a gaming PC (sort of, LOL). I have a C2D E7600, and here is the specs

Capture.PNG.78541612dd281ef0e996cb9dd297a88e.PNG

No HT, no more than 2 cores. I was wondering, how would I go to overclocking this. I have read a couple of online post, but I'm lost.

Cooling is not a problem. I will also upgrade to a C2Q soon. I really have never overclocked in my life.

My temps is around 48C on normal clocks for all cores after testing for 30min on Aida 64, so I can get a better cooler if I have to.

Thank you for your time.

I would make sure that the CPU that is unlocked (and able to be overclocked) and then I would slowly increase its clock speed to find a balance between overclocked performance and stability. I have included a helpful video (provided the link to it) that shows in specifics exactly how to overclock.

Link that shows how to overclock:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBfXruwe8w4

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

2 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Link that shows how to overclock:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a89kUVDpc

Thank you. I will check if the processor is unlocked, then I will check the video.

Once you've got the Q6600 in hand, use the tape mod on it. Most reliable, easiest OC ever.

You've got room to work with on thermals. As long as you're at or below 70C on a C2D (some would argue 75-80C is fine...I'm not one of them), you're good on temp. I don't remember voltage limits for the C2 series, probably because I've been using the tape mod for so long that it's all blended together for me by now.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

12 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Link that shows how to overclock:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a89kUVDpc

Only extreme Core2 CPUs had "unlocked" multipliers IIRC. For those older CPUs, you overclocked by increasing the FSB speeds, the modern equivalent is baseclock overclocking. the multipiers are mostly 6, 9 and 12, you're not gonna be able to change that. 

Yours faithfully

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2017 at 5:40 PM, aisle9 said:

Once you've got the Q6600 in hand, use the tape mod on it. Most reliable, easiest OC ever.

You've got room to work with on thermals. As long as you're at or below 70C on a C2D (some would argue 75-80C is fine...I'm not one of them), you're good on temp. I don't remember voltage limits for the C2 series, probably because I've been using the tape mod for so long that it's all blended together for me by now.

The thing is that my motherboard can't use the tape feature, because it uses CPUID to identify the CPU clock