i3 with R9 270x = Bottleneck?

Go to solution Solved by TechFan@ic,

Get an FX 6300 or even an FX 8320 instead, they're much better options and are within your budget.
A good board to go with either is the Asus M5A97 R2.0 .

The FX 6300 at stock matches an i5 2500K in BF4 multiplayer and an FX 8320 matches an i5 4670K.
Any i3 will be a bottleneck in modern and future titles because of their high parallelism.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test
http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-4-test-gpu.html

So.. I plan on buying an i3-4330 pair with a AMD R9 270x. I'm only going to use it for games, now my question is: Is it going to bottleneck the GPU?

I know there are some myths when it comes to this "bottleneck" problem, but I've seen charts where it shows that an i3 can perform similarly to an i5 in some games.

PS: I'm on a budget.  <_<

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

No.

Also, there's no point getting the 270x over the 270 because you can they pretty much the same card at different clock speeds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you building a completely new PC? If you give us the budget we can surely make something a bit more balanced, that i3 will surely bottleneck in some multiplayer games.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

A system will always have a bottleneck

No it will not. However, you might want to get a Radeon 7870, for it is the same performance for much less. Even if there was a bottleneck, in a few weeks, it would be fixed with mantle anyway. 

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

Unless you#re playing heavily threaded games like bf4, bf3 or crysis 2,3 then no but at this price point I'd recommend a 4300 or 6300

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I would say that the CPU might be a little bottleneck in some games, but does it have to fit in a specific socket? If it doesn't then it might be better to go back one gen and get an i5-3xxx, and if you get the 7870 instead you could get a better CPU for the same money.

Get an FX 6300 or even an FX 8320 instead, they're much better options and are within your budget.
A good board to go with either is the Asus M5A97 R2.0 .

The FX 6300 at stock matches an i5 2500K in BF4 multiplayer and an FX 8320 matches an i5 4670K.
Any i3 will be a bottleneck in modern and future titles because of their high parallelism.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test
http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-4-test-gpu.html

Thanks guys. I go away to make a sandwich and already have like 7 answers. I will consider on buying either a non x 270 or a 7870.

I'm sorry not to give you guys my budget due to the fact that I do no live in NA, and things over here are pretty messy with currency conversion. But, then again, I much appreciate the feedback.

AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @ 3.8 GHz | Gigabyte 870A-USB3 | Kingston ValueRAM 2x2GB 1333 MHz | ASUS nVidia ENGTX460 1 GB | Corsair H60 

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced Edition | Toshiba 1 TB HDD | Logitech G300 | Cheapo Keyboard | Genius GX Gaming Lychas | SteelSeries Qck Mass Le White

No.

Also, there's no point getting the 270x over the 270 because you can they pretty much the same card at different clock speeds.

Could you flash a 270 to a 270x?

So.. I plan on buying an i3-4330 pair with a AMD R9 270x. I'm only going to use it for games, now my question is: Is it going to bottleneck the GPU?

I know there are some myths when it comes to this "bottleneck" problem, but I've seen charts where it shows that an i3 can perform similarly to an i5 in some games.

PS: I'm on a budget. <_<

No bottleneck,pretty good match tbh

Just wondering why not got for a fx-6300?

It seems to me that a FX-6300 is pretty good option. It's almost the same price and it has more cores. I have to build a new PC, so motherboard/socket and CPU compatibility is not an issue. 

It seems to me that a FX-6300 is pretty good option. It's almost the same price and it has more cores. I have to build a new PC, so motherboard/socket and CPU compatibility is not an issue.

FX-6300 is awesome too.

It's a really good budget CPU .

I'm personally gonna grab myself a 6300/270 combo to get best price to performance

AUD prices suckk

Well, after reading some reviews and looking at benchmarks, I'm going for the FX-6300/270x combo.

Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread.

i3 is more for office computers. You better get i5

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

The 270 is literally just a 270X with a lower clock speed. Just overclock the 270 and bam, instant 270X.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Thanks guys. I go away to make a sandwich and already have like 7 answers. I will consider on buying either a non x 270 or a 7870.

I'm sorry not to give you guys my budget due to the fact that I do no live in NA, and things over here are pretty messy with currency conversion. But, then again, I much appreciate the feedback.

We have people from all over the world. Don't be shy about giving us budgets with other currencies if that's what you're using. 

No point. It's pretty much the same card.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The 270 is literally just a 270X with a lower clock speed. Just overclock the 270 and bam, instant 270X.

No point. It's pretty much the same card.

The R9 270 is electrically limited to 150W by its 6-pin power connector, which is mandated by AMD, so a 270X can overclock significantly higher only because it can receive more power due to having two 6-pin connectors.

This is similar to the 7970 and 7970 Ghz edition, but the limitation imposed by AMD on the 270 is much more dramatic.

However would I recommend a 270X over a 270 ? no.

The R9 270 is electrically limited to 150W by its 6-pin power connector, which is mandated by AMD, so a 270X can overclock significantly higher only because it can receive more power due to having two 6-pin connectors.

This is similar to the 7970 and 7970 Ghz edition, but the limitation imposed by AMD on the 270 is much more dramatic.

However would I recommend a 270X over a 270 ? no.

I just meant it's pointless to flash the bios.