Which ryzen processor to get?

Go to solution Solved by Jon Jon,

I would suggest the R7 1700.

I can understand why people are recommending the R5 1600, but you want more cores for content creation, period.

You will have more longevity that way.

You can reference my build, as I can shred through handbrake workloads. I also stream and play modern PC games with no hiccups at all.

Also, most chips will get to 3.8ghz easily with a solid cooler.

As you will be doing CPU heavy tasks, you will want a good aftermarket cooler anyway.

Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask if an upgrade to ryzen would be a good idea? or would an intel cpu be better for my workload

My current system is-

CPU-Amd fx 8300 non overlocked

GPU-Amd radeon RX 480 1.2ghz 8gb GDDR5

Motherboard-a asus ATX motherboard that i cant find the model for the life of me.sorry

PSU-630 watt

RAM-8GB of ddr3 ram at 1966 mhz from kingston

The reason i want to upgrade is that i want to get into video editing as a job,and my current setup makes working with even 1080p footage extremly inefficient and unstable

The biggest problem is that i run a channel and want to record games for that channel of course,but my computer simply cannot smoothly run most modern games even at the lowest settings,recording them is preety much impossible and runs the risk of crashing the computer if done for to long.

i have seen people benchmark my cpu and gpu combo and get far better results,which is why im also thinking the computer is on its way out

So becouse of my lack of available money i saw ryzen as being the best thing i could get,i just dont understand which of the ryzen chips to get and if they would be a good bang for buck

Ryzen 7 1800z looks like the best deal,especialy since i dont plan on upgrading again for a couple of years,intels chips are so overpriced its insane

TLDR-i want to upgrade my system to get good performance for atleast 1080p video editing and rendering,to be able to run future games smoothly and be able to record them.

1600 or 1700. 1800X is not ideal from a value standpoint.

5 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

TLDR-i want to upgrade my system to get good performance for atleast 1080p video editing and rendering,to be able to run future games smoothly and be able to record them.

LTT did put out a video a few days ago which might be useful to you:

Ryzen 1600 so you can afford a good aio, 16gb of ram (hopefully) and a good overclockable motherboard to squeeze performance out of ryzen

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

I'd say the 1600 with a mild overclock is the sweet spot in therms of price/performance.

Paired with a 480 (essentially my main rig) it should be able to easily handle anything 1080p at max (or near max) settings.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Ryzen 1600 so you can afford a good aio, 16gb of ram (hopefully) and a good overclockable motherboard to squeeze performance out of ryzen

AIO?

i have heard ryzen chips are nicely overclockable but i would prefer to keep them stock,becouse if something fries i will never be able to replace it,so a chip that works well stock would be preferable

R7 1700 would be more than enough for you.

Invest the saved money into better mobo

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, Ubleron said:

With your current gpu 1300 would be enough not be a bottleneck.

For gaming, sure. But he/she is also wanting to stream and do video editing.

16 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

Hello everybody!

I wanted to ask if an upgrade to ryzen would be a good idea? or would an intel cpu be better for my workload

My current system is-

CPU-Amd fx 8300 non overlocked

GPU-Amd radeon RX 480 1.2ghz 8gb GDDR5

Motherboard-a asus ATX motherboard that i cant find the model for the life of me.sorry

PSU-630 watt

RAM-8GB of ddr3 ram at 1966 mhz from kingston

The reason i want to upgrade is that i want to get into video editing as a job,and my current setup makes working with even 1080p footage extremly inefficient and unstable

The biggest problem is that i run a channel and want to record games for that channel of course,but my computer simply cannot smoothly run most modern games even at the lowest settings,recording them is preety much impossible and runs the risk of crashing the computer if done for to long.

i have seen people benchmark my cpu and gpu combo and get far better results,which is why im also thinking the computer is on its way out

So becouse of my lack of available money i saw ryzen as being the best thing i could get,i just dont understand which of the ryzen chips to get and if they would be a good bang for buck

Ryzen 7 1800z looks like the best deal,especialy since i dont plan on upgrading again for a couple of years,intels chips are so overpriced its insane

Consider the Ryzen 5 1600, it has 6 cores and 12 threads that is unlocked which means it can be overclocked. When it comes to multithreaded performance, the R5 1600 should meet your requirements in terms of gaming and recording youtube videos at the same time as well as rendering shouldnt be a problem. With its 6 cores, there will be no limitations when multitasking and the R5 1600 is a cheaper alternative to its intel counterparts. Pair the R5 1600 with a decent B350 motherboard with some high speed memory (16GB 2666MHz or 2400MHz works well), and a good GPU, like the GTX 1060 6GB should be fine for 1080p gaming as well as working with 1080p footage. If you need the extra CPU horsepower, maybey get a ryzen 7 1700 as it has more cores and maybey invest in a different motherboard like X370.

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

For gaming, sure. But he/she is also wanting to stream and do video editing.

yes exactly,which is why i wanted to opt for 1800x since i want to do 4k video editing in the future

3 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

yes exactly,which is why i wanted to opt for 1800x since i want to do 4k video editing in the future

R7 1800X paired with an X370 motherboard and a better GPU like a GTX 1070/1080 8GB would be a good investement for 4K video video editing.

Just now, TheBeastPC said:

R7 1800X paired with an X370 motherboard and a better GPU like a GTX 1070/1080 8GB would be a good investement for 4K video video editing.

yes seems so but buying a gpu is way out of my budged right now,and looking at the pricing the 1800x is only 90 euros more then the 1700

would a 1800x and a RX 480 gpu be enough to do full 1080p recording of games and editing? and if so would be enough for atleast light 4k editing? not recording 4k just editing

5 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

The 1800X is a horrible deal.  Don't ever recommend it to anyone.  It's 200MHz faster (which could easily be accomplished with an overclock) for an additional $100.  The 1700 is a waaaaaaaaaaaay better deal

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

4 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

yes seems so but buying a gpu is way out of my budged right now,and looking at the pricing the 1800x is only 90 euros more then the 1700

would a 1800x and a RX 480 gpu be enough to do full 1080p recording of games and editing? and if so would be enough for atleast light 4k editing? not recording 4k just editing

The R7 1700 would be a cheaper alternative to the R7 1800X. The R7 1700 is more than capable of recording 1080p footage of games and when it comes to 1080p editing, it should be more than enough. The RX-480 can handle 1080p recording of games and in terms of editing, the RX 480 should be able to handle 1080p video editing but when it comes to "light" 4K video editing, upgrading to a better GPU is worth it and will handle it better.

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

The 1800X is a horrible deal.  Don't ever recommend it to anyone.  It's 200MHz faster (which could easily be accomplished with an overclock) for an additional $100.  The 1700 is a waaaaaaaaaaaay better deal

I guess your right, the extra 200MHz isnt worth paying for and the R7 1700 can be easily overclocked and is also cheaper.

The R7 1700 would be a cheaper alternative to the R7 1800X. The R7 1700 is more than capable of recording 1080p footage of games and when it comes to 1080p editing, it should be more than enough. The RX-480 can handle 1080p recording of games and in terms of editing, the RX 480 should be able to handle 1080p video editing but when it comes to "light" 4K video editing, upgrading to a better GPU is worth it and will handle it better.

so buying a 1700 would be a better choice and then using the saved money to get a new gpu later on?

there is one problem with that,since to get the same performance and prolong the usefullness of the 1700 you would need to overclock it

which voids the warranty and for somebody who has extremly limited money that would be a kick in the nads if the cpu burns itself alive,and you would need a good cooler to overclock it,which ads onto the price

29 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

so buying a 1700 would be a better choice and then using the saved money to get a new gpu later on?

there is one problem with that,since to get the same performance and prolong the usefullness of the 1700 you would need to overclock it

which voids the warranty and for somebody who has extremly limited money that would be a kick in the nads if the cpu burns itself alive,and you would need a good cooler to overclock it,which ads onto the price

Overclocking doesn't void the warranty, and 1700 comes with an okay cooler too.  Overclocking isn't nearly as risky as it used to be. CPU's have built in safety features now.  If the temperature gets too high, it automatically lowers the clock speed (or shuts down) to prevent any damage.  The only way you could damage it (aside from dropping it or something) is by putting way too much voltage into it.  Just keep it under 1.45V and you won't have any problems.  You could push it further, but if you're doing light overclocking then it's fine.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Overclocking doesn't void the warranty, and 1700 comes with an okay cooler too.  Overclocking isn't nearly as risky as it used to be. CPU's have built in safety features now.  If the temperature gets too high, it automatically lowers the clock speed (or shuts down) to prevent any damage.  The only way you could damage it (aside from dropping it or something) is by putting way too much voltage into it.  Just keep it under 1.4V and you won't have any problems.  You could push it further, but if you're doing light overclocking then it's fine.

Wait,overclocking doesnt void warranty,how? no seriusly how? since when?

oh and your right,ryzen cpus come with those wraith fans,as far as i know they are waaaay better then the FX lineup coolers

so overclocking to get those 200 mhz more would be risky at all? if thats the case the 1700 sounds realy good

i didnt want to buy it since i always think overclocking is a death sentence for your wallet

1 minute ago, Dragon-Guy said:

The 1700 would be a better choice and using the saved money to purchase a better GPU is worth it when it comes to 4K video editing. Yes, you would need to overclock the 1700 to get identical performance, and overclocking doesnt void the warranty. Since that the R7 1700 already comes with a decent cooler in the box, you can still achieve some decent overclocks. Like what @JoostinOnline pointed out, there are saftey features on the CPU that prevents any damage, like exceeding the temperature limit of the CPU of what it can handle. If you do exceed the max temperature that the CPU can handle, than the system will automatically shutdown.

18 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

oh and your right,ryzen cpus come with those wraith fans,as far as i know they are waaaay better then the FX lineup coolers

so overclocking to get those 200 mhz more would be risky at all? if thats the case the 1700 sounds realy good

i didnt want to buy it since i always think overclocking is a death sentence for your wallet

Overclocking doesnt void the warranty because CPU's have saftey features implemented into them that will avoid any damage which will cause the warranty to be voided.

Wraith coolers are way better than the FX coolers because those things sound like jet engines when under load. Gaining the extra 200MHz on the wraithe cooler isnt risky and temperatures on the R7 1700 when overclocked are below 80C, more in the 70C margin.

22 minutes ago, Dragon-Guy said:

Warranties have covered overclocking for a really long time.  I don't think there is a way for them to prove you did damage via overclocking anyway.  I recommend setting several hours aside for overclocking though.  It's a little tedious if you're trying to push it far, because you have to run stability tests between your changes.  Just get another device so you can watch something on Netflix between the tests.

You won't be able to get the full speed of an 1800X, but you'll save $200.  The 1700 is still definitely a good CPU.

Edit: By the way, as a first time overclocker, I don't recommend touching the base clock.  It just makes everything more complicated.

Edited by JoostinOnline

I would suggest the R7 1700.

I can understand why people are recommending the R5 1600, but you want more cores for content creation, period.

You will have more longevity that way.

You can reference my build, as I can shred through handbrake workloads. I also stream and play modern PC games with no hiccups at all.

Also, most chips will get to 3.8ghz easily with a solid cooler.

As you will be doing CPU heavy tasks, you will want a good aftermarket cooler anyway.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard