A $400 Keyboard with NO ACTUAL Keys!

Buy OrbiTouch Keyboard on Amazon: http://geni.us/320gSN

Imagine a keyboard that doesn't have keys- that's the Orbitouch! But how does this weird keyboard work? And who would use it?!

I expected it to be a keyboard made out of an aluminium unibody enclosure with a touchscreen that displayed the keys, and you'd use the touch screen as a keyboard.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Saw it first on TechSmartt.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

The advantage keyboard has at least made sense (even tho I dislike its review because it looked like a cheap tv ad). 

"some keys like p and z [...] all the gestures are equally easy to perform" 
Do you mean equally hard?

PC:

• Ryzen 3 3100X @4.4GHz 1.275V
  • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT with Micron B-Die @3400 CL18-19-17-32 1.35V (I could fine tune it better but I am too lazy)
  • Fortis 3 HE1425 with a top plate painted by me
  • Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
  • Corsair MP600 1TB for Linux (main)
  • Toshiba Q Series Pro 256GB for windows
  • Asus X570 TUF Gaming Plus
  • Be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750W

Peripherials:

• IBM Model F AT
  • Logitech G603 which I currently broke (I need some super glue to fix it, lol) so I am using G402 as a cheapo replacement
  • Worn out Steelseries QCK+
  • Sennheiser HD600 for music
  • AKG K712 for gaming
  • Sony DHC-MD373
  • 2x Samsung Syncmaster 2243 + NEC EA244WMi

I can definitely understand the niche this is trying to fill: accessibility. A lot of the accessibility focus has been with accessibility technologies in software. Not much in hardware.

So it's nice to see someone actually trying to address that particular issue. For them to say it can be used for gaming, though, is definitely one hell of a stretch. It can't be used with FPS games, but there are likely some games where you can use it without much difficulty -- basically games that don't rely on the keyboard and mouse at the same time. And there are likely other products designed to make gaming easier for those with physical impairments.

The $400 price tag is hopefully just merely because this problem doesn't have many companies trying to tackle it. The focus on gesturing to type is quite interesting. And I think as long as they advertise this as something for people who, for whatever reason, aren't able to use a standard QWERTY or Dvorak keyboard, they might be on to something.

I can see this being used by experienced programmers with arthritis issues, though many IDE enhancements are with the purpose and effect of allowing you to write more code with fewer keystrokes -- e.g. auto-completion and snippets. This would just play on top of that. And given how much some programmers are willing to spend to get a decent keyboard -- I personally use a Das Keyboard -- this could be interesting. Given the issues with numeric entry, I don't see this as a viable option for data entry. But I can see it for people who do a lot of typing -- writers come to mind.

Like any new tech, there's definitely a learning curve here, especially given how everyone gets QWERTY hammered into their heads from an early age. But not everyone can use the standard keyboards, and using a type of gesturing to type is an interesting approach where the only other option seemed to be speech to text.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

The claims this product is useful for people with Autism Is complete BS for a couple of reasons;

One: Autistic people are generally rough with things (which can include throwing the item across a room), which means the Orbitouch would break extremely quickly due to its poor build quality.

Two: The Orbitouch does not have the direct feedback that a touch screen gives, which is why you see so many autistic people with Ipads’.

I think the autism angle suggested by the manufacture was done for financial reasons as they is generally more money in the special needs market.

10 hours ago, PCNoobie said:

Way........ inefficient

Well, it is probably quite efficient for those with a missing hand or two.

The autism angle is very overly broad however. I can name a couple off the top of my head that game on the PC, and so would probably not take kindly to using one of these.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I feel like I would have to be autistic to think requiring 2 actions to type a letter is a good idea...

And wow that thing really wants to jump off the table when you try to use it.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Linus reminds me of a goblin holding his treasure, in the thumbnail

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

I looked it up when it was first mentioned in the WAN show, it seems like they have focused on a bit to specific a need, with this product, sure I want it, but if I'm going to pay $400 I expect at least locale support and the possibility of doing enough special characters live with only using that, the need of someone with a disability is not only writing text.

I don't know why, but I just lost it at this image :D Max's facial expressions here are precious! xD

Max_Keyboard.png

• 2 weeks later...

Reading the YouTube comments on this one was dismaying. I've actually already known of a lot of these alternative keyboards that Linus has been showing off recently (including this one) due to an interest in novel and accessibility-focused HIDs, and pretty much all of the disparaging remarks people have made over this video come from not simply the standpoint of normal-functioning people, but often that of power-users or especially those only considering any gaming potential. That's not really the point of these devices.

Yes, spending $400 on a device like this is a waste of money when you can already use a normal keyboard just fine, but for people to whom that isn't an option, they need these kinds of alternatives. As someone who went through a few special-needs programs during my school days due to being on the autism spectrum, I consider myself fortunate that I was only moderately impacted in speed and coordination as far as motor skill is concerned; my ability with a pen or pencil may be abysmal, but I can still use any standard computer input method just fine (better than most normal users, in fact). But I was also exposed to kids who were far worse off than I was, and I feel you don't really gain an appreciation for the difficulty a disabled person (physically or mentally) can have with tasks you yourself might take for granted until you see that kind of thing first-hand, and learn how frustrating it can be for your own body to simply not respond to whatever you're trying to make it do. For someone out there who can only make coarse movements, I imagine this kind of thing is a godsend compared to trying to fumble your way through the fine motor control required of a standard keyboard.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

have you guys thought about the "datahand professional 2" by datahand systems?

THAT would be interesting :D
Anyway, have seen the video 4 times now and I still love it :D
Keep it up kids 
Bilderesultat for datahand professional 2

Where am i?

Datahand's a classic; it also comes in a one-handed variant. Another single-hander keyboard is the Frogpad.

Also, to reply to someone above, there's a purpose for the "chording" thing: speed. There are other keyboards that use the same concept but with actual keys, where multiple keys are hit simultaneously to type out whole syllables at once. Those aren't disability-focused, though; they're actually incredibly fast for transcribing spoken speech. They're what the people who do the closed captioning for live television broadcasts use, like for sports commentary and news anchors.

It's pretty fascinating to read up on all the alternative keyboard types that have popped up over the years.

OWNED CONSOLES [ INTV | NES | SNES | GG | N64 | GBCPS1 | GCN | GBA/GBA SPDC | PS2 | Wii | DS Lite/DSi | Wii U | 3DS/XL/nXL | Switch ] PLANNED ( XSX | Amico ) TV: E420VL + CT-26WX15N

GAMING PC/WORKSTATION [ Aether Case: FD Focus G Mini | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X (16c32t @3.5GHz) | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3600MHz | Mobo: Aorus X570 mITX | PSU: SSR-600TL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: WD SN750 1TB NVMe | HDD: 4TB WD Black | KB/M: Dell Multimedia USB Hub Keyboard (SK-8135) + Logitech G903 HERO | Display: ASUS VE248H + Dell E177FP | Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

HTPC/HOME SERVER [ Phazon Case: Antec 900 Two | CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black (4c4t @3.67GHz) | GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB | RAM: 12GB (2x4GB+2x2GB) DDR3 @1400MHz | Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 | PSU: SSR-450PL

OS: Win10 Pro | SSD: Crucial 240GB SATA | HDD: 8TB HGST Ultrastar + 750GB WD Caviar Green + 200 GB Seagate | KB/M: Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 7000

• 5 months later...

you should mod this so the right hand side can be used as a mouse and the other size the wasd etc for gamng