Move to HDD or SSD

Ahhlong

I recently found out that my hard drive is loading into windows really slow and i am wondering if i bought a SSD will i be able to move all the windows files to the SSD or must i do a clean installl of windows

It's always better to suck it up and do a complete reinstall. Not fun, but a fresh copy of Windows is better than trying to clone.

i cant do a fresh install because i am using the hard drive originally from my dell machine so windows is already in it

depending on how large the ssd you purchase, what is the total drive capacity and the used space of your current hard drive?

Use the quote or multiquote, for faster responses \/ \/

You could always copy all of your personal files out to another drive if you have another. Then the drive cloning should work fine as long as your system files fit into the SSD.

i am planning to just copy the windows files into the SSD not my personal files

Your SSD may have software that migrates your os to your SSD (like Samsung Magician for Samsung SSDs).

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

but if i just buy a wd black will i be able to move windows and all the files into it ? 

but if i just buy a wd black will i be able to move windows and all the files into it ? 

As long as you use cloning software, ususally comes with the SSD, you can move it over to that drive. If you want to use a regular HDD I'm sure there's software for that as well, it's basically making a system backup. DO NOT JUST COPY YOUR WINDOWS FILES, that will not work.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.