Weird POSTing issue

edutechie

Hi all,

I'm a bit stuck - usually I don't have an issue but I thought it'd be worth asking the community for help on this one: I've just built a new machine and I've been having some crazy issues that I think are motherboard related. When seating all 4 sticks of RAM, the board just wouldn't turn on. I tried each stick individually as a single stick and later with two and they worked just fine - which makes me think the RAM isn't at fault. However, when all 4 sticks are in the board doesn't POST, and now it seems like a lottery of how successful the PC is to start, it successfully booted and ran for 3+ hours when I had 2 sticks in and I thought everything was fine, then I placed 4 in, noticed it wouldn't boot again so I pulled the 2 ones I had installed back out and the machine fails to boot again - no matter what stick I use even though they worked previously without any issue (however the board never booted with all 4 sticks in.)

Any idea before I shout at ASUS?

My component list is:

ASUS Prime B250-Plus ATX Motherboard
4 x 8GB DDR4-2133 G.Skill Flare X RAM

Intel Core i5-7500 CPU

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB GPU

deadish Seagate HDD 500GB

500W PSU

Thanks.

edutechie

If everything in an Active Directory is an object and women can be part of an Active Directory, does that mean women are objects?

26 minutes ago, edutechie said:

ASUS Prime B250-Plus ATX Motherboard
4 x 8GB DDR4-2133 G.Skill Flare X RAM

Intel Core i5-7500 CPU

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 4GB GPU

deadish Seagate HDD 500GB

500W PSU

First,
-4X8GB RAM is overkill
-FlareX RAM with a Intel CPU? (yes I know it's compatible but you had paid unnecessary money for that)
-Why not get a Ryzen CPU? 4c i5 without ht will struggle soon
-Just curious, what's the PSU model?

Back to topic, have you tried all RAM slots? Maybe one of the RAM slot is faulty.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

45 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

First,
-4X8GB RAM is overkill
-FlareX RAM with a Intel CPU? (yes I know it's compatible but you had paid unnecessary money for that)
-Why not get a Ryzen CPU? 4c i5 without ht will struggle soon
-Just curious, what's the PSU model?

Back to topic, have you tried all RAM slots? Maybe one of the RAM slot is faulty.

32GB isn't overkill for my workload...(hint: gaming isn't the priority for this machine)

Flare X was cheaper than the alternative for the same capacity ;p

Moving to i7 later on this year, CPU is just a stopgap

PSU is a Xigmatek Tauro 500W

I have tried all the slots, I am pretty sure they're faulty but wanted a second opinion on it, the weird part for me is the sporadic nature as some of them did work for a short amount of time before failing again.

edutechie

If everything in an Active Directory is an object and women can be part of an Active Directory, does that mean women are objects?

1 hour ago, edutechie said:

I have tried all the slots, I am pretty sure they're faulty but wanted a second opinion on it, the weird part for me is the sporadic nature as some of them did work for a short amount of time before failing again.

Then return the mobo if it's still under warranty

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128