Should I Enable Or Disable "Green Mode"?

Go to solution Solved by ImNotThere,

i mean 25 dollars a year isnt that much for an average worker, i earn more than that in 3 hours so i guess it depends on your situation, if you wont miss out on food or something because you have an oc then keep it

I recently purchased a SMC1000C by APC & discovered a "green mode" that's supposed to save me ~$25.00 a year. Although like other efficiency modes I've heard of with other things, I'm concerned this might effect my PC negatively since it's Ryzen 5 1500X & 3GBG GTX 1060 are overclocked. I would've of asked on APC's forums but figured I'd get a more biased opinion there, so should I disable it or reap the savings?

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

i mean 25 dollars a year isnt that much for an average worker, i earn more than that in 3 hours so i guess it depends on your situation, if you wont miss out on food or something because you have an oc then keep it

21 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

I recently purchased a SMC1000C by APC & discovered a "green mode" that's supposed to save me ~$25.00 a year. Although like other efficiency modes I've heard of with other things, I'm concerned this might effect my PC negatively since it's Ryzen 5 1500X & 3GBG GTX 1060 are overclocked. I would've of asked on APC's forums but figured I'd get a more biased opinion there, so should I disable it or reap the savings?

...What EXACTLY do you fear it will do?  Provide your computer with 'slower electricity' and make it run slower as a result...?

3 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

25 is significant to me because I don't have regular work so I guess I'll leave it on because after doing further digging I can't find anything negative about.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

...What EXACTLY do you fear it will do?  Provide your computer with 'slower electricity' and make it run slower as a result...?

That's just it I didn't know exactly what it does, the user manual's description is pretty vague & even the FAQ on their site left me scratching my head a little. Although like I told the other I can't find anything negative about it so might as well leave on.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

Just now, Mike Soda said:

That's just it I didn't know exactly what it does, the user manual's description is pretty vague & even the FAQ on their site left me scratching my head a little. Although like I told the other I can't find anything negative about it so might as well leave on.

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-C-1000VA-LCD-120V/P-SMC1000

Green mode - Patent-pending operating mode that bypasses unused electrical components in good power conditions to achieve very high operating efficiency without sacrificing any protection.

This is actually a very straight forward explanation. o.O

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

http://www.apc.com/shop/us/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-C-1000VA-LCD-120V/P-SMC1000

This is actually a very straight forward explanation. o.O

When any company tells me their energy saving mode bypasses something for efficiency I think of a Prius or the new Ford Raptor saying "nope you can't go this fast, we're wiser than you". So from that I was assuming it might interfere with my Overclocks or hell even mess with my PSU's existing energy saving capabilities that are turned off.

Just now, Mike Soda said:

When any company tells me their energy saving mode bypasses something for efficiency I think of a Prius or the new Ford Raptor saying "nope you can't go this fast, we're wiser than you". So from that I was assuming it might interfere with my Overclocks or hell even mess with my PSU's existing energy saving capabilities that are turned off.

So, just to be clear, your understanding of electricity is so abysmal that you actually think it's plausible that your APC could provide 'slow power' and 'slow down your computer'...?

...Have you had your home checked for dihydrogen monoxide recently?

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

So, just to be clear, your understanding of electricity is so abysmal that you actually think it's plausible that your APC could provide 'slow power' and 'slow down your computer'...?

...Have you had your home checked for dihydrogen monoxide recently?

No, I think that some companies will nerf a consumers experience for stupid reasons. Hence why I keep the ECO mode on my EVGA G2 550W turned off, didn't hear good things about it regarding certain motherboards. So I wasn't sure if this green mode might try saving me power at the sake of performance all in the name of what might've been a crooked sense of protection. Now that I know that's not the case though it's not an issue.

• 3 years later...

Bottom line, no... don't enable it.  Unless. your UPS is just supplying power to a lamp or something basic... like Linus.   (burn).  files?p_Doc_Ref=SPD_NRAN-8CU665_EN