Hard drive covers

fastcar123

Hello,

I have the Corsair Carbide air 540 case. I like the case because it looks very industrial.

What I don't like abou8t the case is the way they put the 3.5 hard mounts in. 

They are hot swappable bays with nothing over the top.

Generally hard drives aren't the most aesthetically pleasing parts ever and here I am looking at a white Seagate sticker all the time.

I want to put something over the hard drive to make it look nicer.

Keeping with the industrial style of the case and everything else, I was wanting to find some passive heat sinks that didn't look stupid. 

This was actually a surprisingly difficult endeavor 

They could be super tall if they need to be but I would prefer something low profile. 

Could I ask the community for assistance in finding something like this.

Alternatively if someone out there has any ideas (other than paint) to cover a hard drive, I'm open to suggestions 

Thanks in advance

I think it might be a bad idea.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

you could make a shroud out of plexi

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, fastcar123 said:

whys that?

Last time i checked my HDD has a huge hole with arrows pointing to it that say "do not cover"

IDK if modern ones still have them

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Last time i checked my HDD has a huge hole with arrows pointing to it that say "do not cover"

I believe my WD from 2014 has that. I think its due to thermals and unwanted materials used for the covers. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

2 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I believe my WD from 2014 has that. I think its due to thermals and unwanted materials used for the covers. 

they still do, its to equalize the pressure between the inside and the outside.

as long as you dont tape over it, or put something directly on it, he'll be fine.

so creating a shroud would work great, but covering it in electrical tape would be less than ideal

EDIT: i should also mention that it would probably be fine to cover it with tape too honestly.  operating the drive at a different altitude (thus different pressure) than what its sealed at can cause failure, but if you seal it, then never move to a different pressure zone or onto an airplane, its probably fine.

but, If the air pressure is too low, then there is not enough lift for the flying head, so the head gets too close to the disk, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

32 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

you could make a shroud out of plexi

Yea and I thought of doing that too. I did that on my graphics card and it works. Ill hold on to that

33 minutes ago, JDE said:

That's actually a good point that I didn't think about. However looking at my drive I don't actually see one of those holes. Now I realize that it looks weird without it. lol 

30 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I have seen these but these are active. I don't actually need the cooling as my drive never overheats. This is purely for aesthetic. 

31 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

they still do, its to equalize the pressure between the inside and the outside.

as long as you dont tape over it, or put something directly on it, he'll be fine.

so creating a shroud would work great, but covering it in electrical tape would be less than ideal

EDIT: i should also mention that it would probably be fine to cover it with tape too honestly.  operating the drive at a different altitude (thus different pressure) than what its sealed at can cause failure, but if you seal it, then never move to a different pressure zone or onto an airplane, its probably fine.

but, If the air pressure is too low, then there is not enough lift for the flying head, so the head gets too close to the disk, and there is a risk of head crashes and data loss.

I never actually knew what would happen if I covered that. Now I do. 

Either way I don't intend for a permeant fixture nor do I plan moving anywhere any time soon

31 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

I have seen these but these are active. I don't actually need the cooling as my drive never overheats. This is purely for aesthetic. 

buy a sheet of plastic/metal/wood. put it on top of drive with a spacer. The holes in the drive are just for pressure so you only need a 1mm gap between the cover and the drive. you can get foam double sided tape that is around 1-2mm thick that will do the job

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 hours ago, fastcar123 said:

Yea and I thought of doing that too. I did that on my graphics card and it works. Ill hold on to that

That's actually a good point that I didn't think about. However looking at my drive I don't actually see one of those holes. Now I realize that it looks weird without it. lol 

I never actually knew what would happen if I covered that. Now I do. 

Either way I don't intend for a permeant fixture nor do I plan moving anywhere any time soon

You can get HDD silencers basically a chunk of aluminum extrustion that goes over the drive. I've used these before to help keep the system aesthically pleasing when there is just a drive sitting in the floor.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-silentmaxx-hd-insulation-rev-2-0.html

7 hours ago, W-L said:

You can get HDD silencers basically a chunk of aluminum extrustion that goes over the drive. I've used these before to help keep the system aesthically pleasing when there is just a drive sitting in the floor.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/alphacool-silentmaxx-hd-insulation-rev-2-0.html

As cool as that looks, my drive likely woildnt fit into the bay anymore. Still though that matches the look that I'm trying to go for perfectly.

10 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

buy a sheet of plastic/metal/wood. put it on top of drive with a spacer. The holes in the drive are just for pressure so you only need a 1mm gap between the cover and the drive. you can get foam double sided tape that is around 1-2mm thick that will do the job

Tjis is probably what ill end so doing

6 hours ago, fastcar123 said:

As cool as that looks, my drive likely woildnt fit into the bay anymore. Still though that matches the look that I'm trying to go for perfectly.

Tjis is probably what ill end so doing

Yeah those covers only fit in the 5.25" bays, I personally just have it in the bottom of my case since I don't have 5.25" drive bays. You can always just put the drive in the rear portion of the case if you want to keep things as clean as possible. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Yeah those covers only fit in the 5.25" bays, I personally just have it in the bottom of my case since I don't have 5.25" drive bays. You can always just put the drive in the rear portion of the case if you want to keep things as clean as possible. 

That us true but the rear of the case has no 3.5 mounts anywhere

Jeff does some great custom covers!

Pretty easy to DIY if you want to have a go your self.

Parts Express has a decent selection of vinyl sheets from VViViD for $20.  These are peel and stick, trim to fit.

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/cabinet-covering/310?N=19864+4294967118+4294961668&Ne=10166&Nrs=collection()%2Frecord[endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_PortalID"%2C"1")+and+endeca%3Amatches(.%2C"P_Searchable"%2C"1")]&PortalID=1

Burlwood perhaps?

350-527_HR_0.jpg

And some pricey precut pieces from SlickWraps:

https://www.slickwraps.com/devices/cool-stuff/solid-state-drives/samsung-850-evo-2-5.html

samsung-850-pro-ssd_view2_carbon_silver_

On 09/16/2017 at 9:23 AM, Defyant said:

Jeff does some great custom covers!

Pretty easy to DIY if you want to have a go your self.

Yea I like that. But I dont have a laser cutter. I would probably just go without a design and have the leds coming out of the sides.

5 minutes ago, Marzen said:

What I think would look really cool is this kinda of vinyl on top of the rgb cover