Do docking stations/enclosures affect HDD performance

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm running out of space on my PC and I want to invest in storage. I currently have a 1TB HDD and 360GB of SSD storage, so I think it's enough. I want to store all the data I don't currently use (basically old projects/templates, games I no longer play but don't want to delete) on external hard drives, and also be able to do backups. Now I'm not sure if I should invest in a 2TB LaCie external hard drive (with an elegant aluminum design and good performance) or get a docking station, then buy as many hard drives as I want. The second option appears to be cheaper and relatively more convenient (though less elegant), but there is so much difference between the prices of the docking station that I'm not sure if I would have a similar performance as with an actual portable hard drive. I've also noticed that these external HDD from LaCie or WD are more expensive too.

So the question is : how much do docking station affect performance, do they have advantages I haven't mentioned, and how much should I invest (I see prices from $15 to $100)? Would a €17 dock like this one be okay? http://www.raidsonic.de/products/external_cases/hdd_ssd_docking/index_en.php?we_objectID=4469

Thanks

The only potential bottleneck of a docking station would be the interface it uses to connect to your PC. If it's USB 2.0, then yes, I can see it being slower. If it's USB 3.0 or newer I don't think it will be a problem at all (USB 3.0 is rated at 625 MB/s)

Quote me in replies so I see them.