Which display setup is best for a recording studio?

minervx

Recording studio display(s)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Your choice?

• 2x 1080p monitors
    • 1440p

Is more workspace always better in your experience, or are there limits to gains?

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

Is more workspace always better in your experience, or are there limits to gains?

will you edit on the monitor?

6 minutes ago, minervx said:

if yo ucant go 2x 1440p monitor then 2 monitor setup is always better than 1 monitor setup for any work :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Just now, bughtoo said:

if yo ucant go 2x 1440p monitor then 2 monitor setup is always better than 1 monitor setup for any work :) 

or even a 4k + 1080p for secondary

Just now, bughtoo said:

In the sense that I can use Pro Tools on monitor 1.  And web browse/office/other apps on the 2nd one (to be able to multitask without closing the DAW, yes).

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

or even a 4k + 1080p for secondary

This would be like dating a girl with a B-cup and an E-cup?

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

will you edit on the monitor?

Yes.  In that case, 4K provides a more continuous experience (plus allows great quality for streaming).

From your examples I'd choose the 2x 1080p. I have 3 and the extra monitors helps me more that wider pixel density does.

If you have recording software on one monitor and the game on the other it's absolutely fantastic, you can't do that with a single one.

Premiere is a breeze also, having some windows on a completely seperate screen is lovely to say the least!

52 minutes ago, minervx said:

This would be like dating a girl with a B-cup and an E-cup?

Well if your B-cup is your main girl and E-Cup is your side girl that you only look on when you are bored then yes :D:D:D:D 

Most people dont use both monitors the same amount, they usually have 1 main monitor that takes most of the time that they are on the PC and second monitor as a monitor to show documents, videos, etc. that you want to have open all the time but dont want to open just to read a few lines. So it makes perfect sense to have 1 main monitor with higher resultion and second monitor with lower. 

Though if you are bothered by small thing(like me), i would not survive having 2 monitors that arent the same resolution, it would just drive me crazy (especially when they are the same size and are next to each other)

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

1 hour ago, minervx said:

Yes.  In that case, 4K provides a more continuous experience (plus allows great quality for streaming).

ultrawide is a choice too

for a biggggg timeline

19 minutes ago, bughtoo said:

Well if your B-cup is your main girl and E-Cup is your side girl that you only look on when you are bored then yes :D:D:D:D 

Most people dont use both monitors the same amount, they usually have 1 main monitor that takes most of the time that they are on the PC and second monitor as a monitor to show documents, videos, etc. that you want to have open all the time but dont want to open just to read a few lines. So it makes perfect sense to have 1 main monitor with higher resultion and second monitor with lower. 

Though if you are bothered by small thing(like me), i would not survive having 2 monitors that arent the same resolution, it would just drive me crazy (especially when they are the same size and are next to each other)

1495488392654-830443696.thumb.jpg.339d8ae807409a5e2402db573df4063c.jpg

22 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

ultrawide is a choice too

for a biggggg timeline

Not very good for gaming though, there is a lot of games that doesnt support ultrawide, meaning the GUI is weirdly positioned/not visible at all. F.e. in cs:go with ultrawide you cannot change teams with mouse, or enter the game with mouse :D 

As a novice mixing engineer, I'm currently using two monitors, in which one is an ultrawide 2560x1080 and one is 1080p. I'm planning to upgrade to one of these options: ultrawide 3440x1440 for extra pixels and one 1440p monitor; or two ultrawide.

I love ultrawide because it make your timeline longer which is awesome IMO

It depends on your subjective opinion about ultrawide, however whatever the case (ultrawide or not), you need dual or triple monitors to maximize efficiency. You can have different DAWs or interfaces in different screens, or even within one DAW, there's a lot of plugins which have huge interfaces and will definitely take a lot of space within your screen. 1080p is fine as long as you have at least two monitors, after that you can upgrade later in time for extra pixels.

When recording I usually have the virtual mixer (since I don't have a physical one, I cannot afford them at the moment) on one screen and the timeline/tracks on the other. You can have your various visualizers on one screen for tracking your work conveniently ;) 

AMD Ryzen 1700 3.75ghz@1.3v

G.Skill TridentZ 2x16GB 2800mhz@1.375v

Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

ASUS X370 PRIME PRO

Samsung 960 EVO NVME 250GB

Andyson H6 800W 80Plus Gold