Router

Zerosane

I just got 75mbps internet and i need a router. Which one should i get that's good but is not expensive 

Budget?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

6 hours ago, Zerosane said:

I just got 75mbps internet and i need a router. Which one should i get that's good but is not expensive 

many people use the term router for different things so could you please say what you want to use it for?

For connecting with my modem to provide internet, gaming, and dowloading to me and my wife as well as friends when they are over. Basically as little latency and lag i can get. And yes on a budget.

1 hour ago, Zerosane said:

For connecting with my modem to provide internet, gaming, and dowloading to me and my wife as well as friends when they are over. Basically as little latency and lag i can get. And yes on a budget.

everything will be wired? In that case you not just take a switch they are way more cheaper, and in your home network you probably don't need different vlans so you could even take an unmanaged switch. You don't work with different subnets etc so I asume you don't need routing. The only reason I see you would need a router is if your modem doesn't support NAT and/or dhcp and therefore you want a router to take these functions. But most modems provided by ISP's are also routers and support all these functions.

Do you know what you have now (the type of device and or serial nummer or something like that)?

Also are there any more requirements? Would you for example need wireless access as well? Or are you planning on having certain devices in your network you want to virtually/physicly seperate from each other so they can't communicate in the network?

for low latency i suggest getting a mikrotik routerboard with CPU connected ports, those really do offer lower latency. They've also talked about moving their entire OS onto the CPU cache on x86 for CPUs with big enough cache (it can run on 16MB of ram on mips as a bridge/AP). They also have very good configurability and price but you might lack the knowledge and skills needed to configure one.

In your case i suggest sticking with a router that is as minimalistic as possible when it comes to hardware features. start by picking a router with a good SoC combined with wifi chips, then pick the brand that has such a model with the firmware features + firmware compatibility you like.

get a Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N3150 mini PC with 2 LAN ports, and buy a network switch, install pfsense, and use your own WiFi AP

Do you have equipment provided by your ISP? Does it provide WiFi? If so you got a modem/router combo. Connecting a router to that can cause issues. If you just have a standard modem then any router should work. When I think budget, I think TP Link. Though you never said how much. Your looking at at least $80 or over for a decent router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.