Where would a transistor be put??

Neutrideo

Please check the pic below and maybe tell me where a transistor would go, Thanks all, By

2x16-LCD-Control-with-Arduino-2.jpg

-moved to electronics-

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I googled this image and it appears it's a design for how to output text to that LCD display.  I also noticed that in none of the instructions did anyone mention a transistor anywhere, so I don't know where you've got the idea you need to add one.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Why would that project need a transistor?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I was trying the project and my it teacher suggested a transistor, but he didn't know where. Because the screen wouldn't power on.

It needs a transistor for the LCD to be backlit. You want to connect the "Base" to the Arduino PWM (#3), the "Collector" to the Arduino 5V, and the "Emitter" to the Arduino GRND. Kind of a BS schematic though, since it's missing resistors, diodes, etc. that are definitely needed for this type of circuit.

I know all of the basic stuff is confusing at first, but stick with it. Soon it will become exciting, and instead of doodling, or doing crossword puzzles, you'll be drawing out circuits you never intend to build. You'll do it just for the fun of it, and to create puzzles to solve. :D

P.S. You might want to throw an Attenuator in the mix to control the brightness of the LCD.

WUUPLTp.png

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

1 hour ago, MadModder said:

It needs a transistor for the LCD to be backlit. You want to connect the "Base" to the Arduino PWM (#3), the "Collector" to the Arduino 5V, and the "Emitter" to the Arduino GRND. Kind of a BS schematic though, since it's missing resistors, diodes, etc. that are definitely needed for this type of circuit.

I know all of the basic stuff is confusing at first, but stick with it. Soon it will become exciting, and instead of doodling, or doing crossword puzzles, you'll be drawing out circuits you never intend to build. You'll do it just for the fun of it, and to create puzzles to solve. :D

P.S. You might want to throw an Attenuator in the mix to control the brightness of the LCD.

4cgIA3J.png

I dont know how to read this :(

Well, your question was where a transistor would be connected. If you're just trying to connect an LCD to a Arduino, then this article might explain things to you. However, it's using an attenuator to control the LCD lighting.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Connecting-an-LCD-to-the-Arduino/

Best Excuses:

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

2 hours ago, Neutrideo said:

I was trying the project and my it teacher suggested a transistor, but he didn't know where. Because the screen wouldn't power on.

lol  sounds like they have no idea what they're doing.  Seriously, try to name any situation where it makes sense to say "I think you need <blank> but I have no idea where".  If you knew it was needed, you'd know where, and vice versa.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

lol  sounds like they have no idea what they're doing.  Seriously, try to name any situation where it makes sense to say "I think you need <blank> but I have no idea where".  If you knew it was needed, you'd know where, and vice versa.

he is quite stupid, but from my research it you do need it for the lcd to be backlit as the previous person said

1 minute ago, Neutrideo said:

he is quite stupid, but from my research it you do need it for the lcd to be backlit as the previous person said

I'll let you try to work it out with @MadModder then since I have no idea either tbh.  As far as I can tell from the quick search I did, this should function as shown.

Sheesh! O.o I thought he was throwing a problem at you, and making you find a solution. Not all LCD's need to be backlit, and some you don't want to be backlit. If this is not just on paper, what LCD are you trying to use? Manufacturer, and part/model # ? I've used/programmed a few different types, so if you can give me some info I can tell you how to proceed, and if you need a transistor, or not. I just assumed you were supposed to include a transistor. It could be as simple as not providing enough power for the LCD you're trying to use.

I'm off to try some new stuff just released on the PUBG beta server, but I'll check back later.

Best Excuses:

1 hour ago, MadModder said:

Sheesh! O.o I thought he was throwing a problem at you, and making you find a solution. Not all LCD's need to be backlit, and some you don't want to be backlit. If this is not just on paper, what LCD are you trying to use? Manufacturer, and part/model # ? I've used/programmed a few different types, so if you can give me some info I can tell you how to proceed, and if you need a transistor, or not. I just assumed you were supposed to include a transistor. It could be as simple as not providing enough power for the LCD you're trying to use.

I'm off to try some new stuff just released on the PUBG beta server, but I'll check back later.

i will check next lesson, thx!

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think you need RGB but I have no idea where. ('cause everything is already RGB!)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The Arduino can output reliably up to 40mA through most pins, and up to 200mA in total.

If the voltage is lower than 5v, then the current may be a bit lower.

The LCD display has a backlight, but the leds may use more than 40mA or quite close to 40mA so maybe you could just connect the backlight of your LCD display to one of your Arduino pins. By sending a digital 1 on that pin, you would send power to the leds and the backlight would be lit.

As an alternative, you can use a transistor as a on/off switch. When a bit of current goes in the base pin of a transistor, the transistor turns on and current flows between collector and emitter.  So using less than 1mA of current (from the Arduino pin into the transistor), you can have more than 40mA going into the LED backlight.

You can learn a lot about transistors watching this video ... for your needs, you can just replace the solenoid valve with the  led backlight (the + and - pins of the led backlight)

A more advanced application would be to use a transistor in its "between fully off and fully on" state to control the amount of current the backlight gets.  By replacing the resistor on the base pin of the transistor with a potentiometer, you would be able to control how much current goes in the base pin, which in turn will control how much current will flow between collector and emitter, so the led backlight will vary in brightness.

But this is really tricky and not recommended, because that range where the transistor is between fully off and fully on... that range is quite small in the first place but can narrow or enlarge depending on how warm the transistor is, and also varies from transistor to transistor even if it's the same model of transistor.

edit:

If you have RGB backlight, it's an even better case for using transistors (or mosfets) to control each color in the backlight. If each color uses 30-50mA, then when you want a white backlight on the lcd display, you'd send 90-150 mA to the led backlight through Arduino pins, which may be a bad idea or even impossible. Instead, you could use 3 transistors and the Arduino will use only a few mA of current and you power the led backlight directly from the power supply.