Laptop CPU Upgrade, HELP

tropicano

Hello,

I have a problem. I have a laptop Samsung Np300e5x-a02bg.

So I want to upgrade the stock cpu (B820) with a i3/i5 cpu with intel graphics 3000/4000. I bought an i5-3380M. But the laptop restarts after 30minute of work. Please help me, what cpu will work on my laptop?

5 minutes ago, tropicano said:

Hello,

I have a problem. I have a laptop Samsung Np300e5x-a02bg.

So I want to upgrade the stock cpu (B820) with a i3/i5 cpu with intel graphics 3000/4000. I bought an i5-3380M. But the laptop restarts after 30minute of work. Please help me, what cpu will work on my laptop?

first of all you cant just swap a cpu in laptop especially a Celeron to i3 or 15 they are a different architecture use a different chipset and the power draw, heat dissipation and most importantly different socket the fact is you can only swap it with the same cpu and you need special tools that board repairers use which cost 70 grand unless your using the same cpu and you have all the tools your better off buying a new laptop

Ok, I will be happy if someone tells me how can I find out the supported cpu's

4 minutes ago, ACEHACK said:

first of all you cant just swap a cpu in laptop especially a Celeron to i3 or 15 they are a different architecture use a different chipset and the power draw, heat dissipation and most importantly different socket the fact is you can only swap it with the same cpu and you need special tools that board repairers use which cost 70 grand unless your using the same cpu and you have all the tools your better off buying a new laptop

Nah, it's a socket CPU, not a soldered one. He can just replace it with a different CPU using the same socket, provided power consumption isn't beyond what the motherboard can handle. 

OP: since you wish replaced the CPU, there are two things that could have gone wrong: 1) you didn't place the heatsink back correctly, forgot to apply thermal paste, etc ; 2) the power draw of the new CPU is substantially higher than the previous one, and the laboro can't handle it at load. Bith things would trigger unexpected shutdowns like you are experiencing. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Nah, it's a socket CPU, not a soldered one. He can just replace it with a different CPU using the same socket, provided power consumption isn't beyond what the motherboard can handle. 

OP: since you wish replaced the CPU, there are two things that could have gone wrong: 1) you didn't place the heatsink back correctly, forgot to apply thermal paste, etc ; 2) the power draw of the new CPU is substantially higher than the previous one, and the laboro can't handle it at load. Bith things would trigger unexpected shutdowns like you are experiencing. 

It was a time ago, I think it was a chipset or bios incompatibility, everything was plunged well.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

you do understand that you replace it wont boot right i3 and i5 use different socket and chipset with way higher power draw and more heat decipation

1 minute ago, ACEHACK said:

you do understand that you replace it wont boot right i3 and i5 use different socket and chipset with way higher power draw and more heat decipation

the drawing power of the i5-3380M and the B980 (the CPU the laptop had at that time) was the same

1 minute ago, ACEHACK said:

First, if it uses a different socket, you simply can't physically place it. If you do the replacement, it's because it's the same socket. (I'm not talking about OP's specifically, since I don't now the models, nor have googled all possible cpus for his socketl. Second, chipsets don't determine which cpu you can use, but the BIOS wil, and many times the BIOS accompanying certain chipsets will impose additional restrictions beyond sicket compatibility (like x99 vs server chipsets, etc). 

None of that changes that laptops with socketed CPUs can be upgraded, peivided you use compatible (but not necessarily the same) parts.

(btw, OP stayed he did replace the CPU and the computer did boot, his problem were random shutdowns.)

2 minutes ago, tropicano said:

I don't have a clu which cpu will work, bios : P04RAJ

Your safest bet is to look for different versions of the same laptop that were available at the time. Most likely you can use the fastest CPU used for this lineup (but make sure it's the same "barebone"). 

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Your safest bet is to look for different versions of the same laptop that were available at the time. Most likely you can use the fastest CPU used for this lineup (but make sure it's the same "barebone"). 

you mean laptops with NP300e5x in their name? Are they using the same chipset socket etc.?

I've found evidence of successful upgrades to even the i7 3632qm for this model of laptop so I'd say the culprit isn't compatibility.

Most likely you're overheating. Run a program like HWinfo64 in the background while you're doing whatever and monitor temps for a bit. If it spikes up high quickly then your laptop cooling can't handle it or you simply need to replace the thermal paste.

That being said I have also seen cases where power draw exceeds the typical power brick for light duty laptops and draws directly from the battery even when plugged in. This could be happening as well. Maybe look into the possibility that they made more than one kind of power brick for your model of laptop with a higher output if overheating isn't the issue.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

2 hours ago, ApolloX75 said:

I've found evidence of successful upgrades to even the i7 3632qm for this model of laptop so I'd say the culprit isn't compatibility.

Most likely you're overheating. Run a program like HWinfo64 in the background while you're doing whatever and monitor temps for a bit. If it spikes up high quickly then your laptop cooling can't handle it or you simply need to replace the thermal paste.

That being said I have also seen cases where power draw exceeds the typical power brick for light duty laptops and draws directly from the battery even when plugged in. This could be happening as well. Maybe look into the possibility that they made more than one kind of power brick for your model of laptop with a higher output if overheating isn't the issue.

It wasn't an overheating problem, the temperatures were normal.

I found an laptop with the same series NP300E5X with an i3-3110M, do you think it will work on my laptop. I found a cheap i3-3110M for 17$.