USB REPAIRS "BREAKING DOWN" MY PC?

Deezeldee
Go to solution Solved by Billy_Mays,

Have you tried taping the wires off when they are twisted and if its done properly it should be fine

Hello guys,i have a question,well rather a concern and a question.I made some repairs to the xbox controller that i have (wired) , and changed the usb by simply cutting it out by the cable , then replacing it with another usb from a usb extension cord. I did isolate each of the wires (green,white,black and red) and the controller works fine.The question is , can it damage my pc?

P.S: i double checked each wire isolation and it's ok (not melted together,just a twist).

Thanks,

Peter.

Have you tried taping the wires off when they are twisted and if its done properly it should be fine

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

each wire , is taped on it's own , then i used tape to tape all together without them touching one another "naked".

1 minute ago, Deezeldee said:

each wire , is taped on it's own , then i used tape to tape all together without them touching one another "naked".

ok then it should be fine but use a USB tester to test it

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

ok then it should be fine but use a USB tester to test it

i do not own one,but plugin the controller to my pc worked just fine.

normally USB should protect itself before you can do damage, but dont tempt fate on purpose.

also, as long as you have ground and +5v right there's little that can go wrong, some device/host combo's even work with the data wires flipped.

It should be absolutely fine if you have done the job correctly but personally I value my PC more than an old xbox controller. I wouldn't risk it myself. I have heard of USB peripherals frying PCs (well macbooks specificially) but they were USB hubs so a different story.

Moral of the bumbling...  use a USB tester. If you don't have one is it worth the risk? A second hand controller would probably just knock you back a few £/$

2 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

It should be absolutely fine if you have done the job correctly but personally I value my PC more than an old xbox controller. I wouldn't risk it myself. I have heard of USB peripherals frying PCs (well macbooks specificially) but they were USB hubs so a different story.

Moral of the bumbling...  use a USB tester. If you don't have one is it worth the risk? A second hand controller would probably just knock you back a few £/$

you are absolutely right,but,what is the worst thing that can happen?judging that is just an usb port and a controller (front pannel usb,trough an extension cord,not plugged directly into my pc)

Just now, Deezeldee said:

you are absolutely right,but,what is the worst thing that can happen?judging that is just an usb port and a controller (front pannel usb,trough an extension cord,not plugged directly into my pc)

For sure but how much of an asshat would I feel if I saved £5 on a second hand controller but fried my motherboard? :) 

I've paid bigger prices for more calculated manoeuvres in my past lol 

For future reference, and for those customizing/repairing wiring, I strongly suggest using heat shrink tubing, unless your just making a temporary patch. It's super cheap, easy to use, and won't deteriorate like electrical tape does. You can also find it in colors to match your wiring scheme. You can find it just about anywhere, but here's an example for people who might not be familiar with it :

https://www.wirecare.com/category/heatshrink-tubing?redirected=true

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

37 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

I have heard of USB peripherals frying PCs (well macbooks specificially) but they were USB hubs so a different story.

that turned out to be just a glitch where keeping the USB bus 5 volt high in sleep mode locked up a chip, apoareantly fixable by disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. but its much more lucrative for apple to just say you need a new motherboard ;)