Liquid Metal Getting On PCB?

Would getting Liquid metal on the PCB damage anything? im talking about just the green board not the dots on it, like say when putting the IHS on some of it oozes off

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

4 minutes ago, xovague said:

Would getting Liquid metal on the PCB damage anything? im talking about just the green board not the dots on it, like say when putting the IHS on some of it oozes off

Don't get it on the PCB or anywhere you don't want it, the material is conductive and if it gets on the capacitors around the CPU it will short it out. It's not a bad idea to use kapton tape over the capacitors or to even coat them in nail polish which is common practice.

But what I'm asking will the liquid metal destroy the green part? Like corrod it or anything?

10900k 5.0ghz OC | ASUS Strix Z490 | NVIDIA 4090 FE | 4x16GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (3200MHz)

3 minutes ago, xovague said:

But what I'm asking will the liquid metal destroy the green part? Like corrod it or anything?

no... but it shouldn't reach/touch the green part!

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

9 minutes ago, xovague said:

No it won't but it shouldn't be on there in the first place, ideally if it's applied thin on both the CPU die and IHS it will not get on the PCB mask. 

Just now, W-L said:

No it won't but it shouldn't be on there in the first place, ideally if it's applied thin on both the CPU die and IHS it will not get on the PCB mask. 

9 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

no... but it shouldn't reach/touch the green part!

Think this is to much or should I be okay?

IMG_0664.JPG

Just now, xovague said:

Think this is to much or should I be okay?

That looks good make sure all surface are covered though I see some small bare spots. The liquid metal amalgam need to stick to all surfaces to be the most effective. 

57 minutes ago, W-L said:

That looks good make sure all surface are covered though I see some small bare spots. The liquid metal amalgam need to stick to all surfaces to be the most effective. 

I just now re-delided just as I suspected I put way to much on and when I removed the IHS it had oozed on the PCB

2 minutes ago, xovague said:

I just now re-delided just as I suspected I put way to much on and when I removed the IHS it had oozed on the PCB

How thick is it, it should just be a thin coat (almost like paint) enough to just cover the die and IHS

3 minutes ago, xovague said:

I also put what you said in consideration about the dead spots and yeah I definitely made all of it stick to the die, and used 2x less than before

1 minute ago, xovague said:

I also put what you said in consideration about the dead spots and yeah I definitely made all of it stick to the die, and used 2x less than before

As long as it's a very thin coating over the surfaces it will make good thermal contact and should be good.

Just now, W-L said:

As long as it's a very thin coating over the surfaces it will make good thermal contact and should be good.

Yeah the coat I laid down was pretty thin I used barely any liquid metal, and did the 4 corner dot method with some RTV gasket

3 hours ago, xovague said:

Liquid metal won't damage the substrate (the green part you are referring to) but do be sure to cover any gold contacts or capacitor banks with clear coat nail polish or liquid electrical tape to prevent the liquid metal from bonding with those and causing a short.

Looking at your pictures, I can say that you did a great job with the application. Especially on the IHS itself, very clean. Pretty hard to do, given how hard it is to spread on nickel plating. Did you use CLU or Conductonaut? CLU tends to be harder to spread, but has less leakage potential in my experience. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

14 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Liquid metal won't damage the substrate (the green part you are referring to) but do be sure to cover any gold contacts or capacitor banks with clear coat nail polish or liquid electrical tape to prevent the liquid metal from bonding with those and causing a short.

Looking at your pictures, I can say that you did a great job with the application. Especially on the IHS itself, very clean. Pretty hard to do, given how hard it is to spread on nickel plating. Did you use CLU or Conductonaut? CLU tends to be harder to spread, but has less leakage potential in my experience. 

I used conductonaut, and I applied such a small amount of liquid metal I doubt I'll have any leakage issues

4 hours ago, W-L said:

kapton tape

I see this recommended a lot. Just get liquid electrical tape, it's way cheaper and has many uses.

Just now, dexT said:

I see this recommended a lot. Just get liquid electrical tape, it's way cheaper and has many uses.

I got a huge roll for like $5, lol. Use it on a ton of things. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

What are those gold dots for on the substrate? 

Just now, MageTank said:

I wish I would have heard about it earlier I don't feel like re-delidding again fuck

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Nice. I use liquid etape for insulation against condensation so I have it on hand. 

6 minutes ago, xovague said:

What are those gold dots for on the substrate? 

I believe those are test points for manufacturing and QC testing, but yeah those would be areas you want to protect.