Planning to build a editing machine

Bjernhart

'Ello lads!

I'm in need of your expertise. In 3 months I will be moving into my new apartment, and I'm in need of an editing machine for some upcoming projects. I will focus a lot on video editing, and I've been hearing a lot of AMD's new line of CPUs Ryzen, and how they are aimed for people with content creation in mind.

The system I'm currently building will have an Intel CPU, since it will be a gaming machine.

But with this system I wanted to do something different.

How do you guys reason when it comes to AMD's Ryzen processor?

If you don't mind helping me out.

Could you give me a couple of builds, aimed for content creation. With of course an AMD Ryzen CPU.

Something that would be optimal for video editing.

As for budget, it will be difficult to say exactly. Since I'm already spending quite a lot on my current gaming build.

My plan is to buy and build this system sometime in the beginning of next year. But not to make it to hard on you guys, I'm ready to spend another 1300-1600$, I can go a bit over budget if neccessary. And I don't need a monitor, mouse or keyboard or an operating system. 

Honestly I can't say for certain what components you should get if you aren't building it for another 3 months. The market IS gonna change by then, especially with coffee lake coming soon.

However, I think that for your build an Intel based pc is probably going to be the best option. Specifically the upcoming i7 8700k, a 6c 12t CPU.

When OCed I would guess that an 8700k's multi core performance will come very close to that of a 4 ghz 1700 while having 25% better single threaded performance. Plus it probably won't be that much more expensive, the CPU itself would probably be $50 more and the mobo $20-$30 more.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Honestly I can't say for certain what components you should get if you aren't building it for another 3 months. The market IS gonna change by then, especially with coffee lake coming soon.

However, I think that for your build an Intel based pc is probably going to be the best option. Specifically the upcoming i7 8700k, a 6c 12t CPU.

When OCed I would guess that an 8700k's multi core performance will come very close to that of a 4 ghz 1700 while having 25% better single threaded performance. Plus it probably won't be that much more expensive, the CPU itself would probably be $50 more and the mobo $20-$30 more.

Ah, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of coffee lake, I was even surprised when they announced Kaby lake :), it just shows how out of the loop I've been in terms of CPUs. I'm afraid I have to wait at least 3 months before I can start ordering new components for my editing machine.

I guess I could do some minor editing on my gaming machine I'm currently building, but I'd like something that is specifically aimed for content creation.

3 minutes ago, Bjernhart said:

Ah, I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of coffee lake, I was even surprised when they announced Kaby lake :), it just shows how out of the loop I've been in terms of CPUs. I'm afraid I have to wait at least 3 months before I can start ordering new components for my editing machine.

I guess I could do some minor editing on my gaming machine I'm currently building, but I'd like something that is specifically aimed for content creation.

Wait... 

So this pc is ONLY for content creation?

Oops... my bad :P 

What software do you use for video editing?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Wait... 

So this pc is ONLY for content creation?

Oops... my bad :P 

What software do you use for video editing?

I was planning on using Vegas Pro 15, Premiere Elements 15, I will be editing movies in both 1080p but focus heavily on 4k as well.

EDIT - I forgot to mention Adobe Premiere Pro CC

21 minutes ago, Bjernhart said:

I was planning on using Vegas Pro 15, Premiere Elements 15, I will be editing movies in both 1080p but focus heavily on 4k as well.

EDIT - I forgot to mention Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Vegas likes more cores and amd GPUs, I don't know about premier elements, premier pro sometimes like cores and sometimes likes clock speed, and afaik as long as you have a gpu premier pro is happy.

So this is what I came up with.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($285.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.60 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1077.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 09:41 EDT-0400

Add another $400 or $500 for a Vega 56 or 64 (shouldn't matter that prices are high right now since you aren't building yet)

It is still worth mentioning though that the formerly mentioned 8700k may be worth going for, especially as certain parts of premier (warp stabilization for example) are very single threaded.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Vegas likes more cores and amd GPUs, I don't know about premier elements, premier pro sometimes like cores and sometimes likes clock speed, and afaik as long as you have a gpu premier pro is happy.

So this is what I came up with.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($285.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($117.60 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($66.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1077.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 09:41 EDT-0400

Add another $400 or $500 for a Vega 56 or 64 (shouldn't matter that prices are high right now since you aren't building yet)

It is still worth mentioning though that the formerly mentioned 8700k may be worth going for, especially as certain parts of premier (warp stabilization for example) are very single threaded.

Ah thank you. You mentioned the 8700k, I guess I'm going to wait and see if that one might be worth getting over Ryzen.

Let's hope the prices on both Vega 56 and 64 will be lower in a few months!

1 minute ago, Bjernhart said:

Let's hope the prices on both Vega 56 and 64 will be lower in a few months!

I sure hope so as I want a 56 :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bjernhart said:

If you have not bought the parts for your new gaming rig, you might want to hold off. Coffee Lake desktop cpu are supposed to include a six hyperthreaded core i7-8700K. It will likely be a good gamer.

Here is an outline of a content creation friendly build. It only has 1TB of storage. If NAS or server storage is not available, then more storage will likely be needed. If you intend to overclock, a Ryzen R7 1700 could be used instead of the 1800X. The psu is significantly over required capacity to allow for upgrades and overclocking.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($359.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card  ($799.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2479.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 12:03 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

13 hours ago, brob said:

If you have not bought the parts for your new gaming rig, you might want to hold off. Coffee Lake desktop cpu are supposed to include a six hyperthreaded core i7-8700K. It will likely be a good gamer.

Here is an outline of a content creation friendly build. It only has 1TB of storage. If NAS or server storage is not available, then more storage will likely be needed. If you intend to overclock, a Ryzen R7 1700 could be used instead of the 1800X. The psu is significantly over required capacity to allow for upgrades and overclocking.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($109.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($359.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card  ($799.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2479.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-07 12:03 EDT-0400

I have bought most of the parts for my gaming rig however I have not opened them. I could just return the CPU, and get my money back, and wait for the new coffee lake.

I've really been out of the loop when it comes to CPUs and so on, the current CPU I've planned to use on my gaming machine is an Intel Core i7 7700K. That I planned to do some overclocking on. However with the news you guys have provided, I'm almost positive that I'm going to wait for the new coffee lake.

I'll survive on what I got at the moment. :) 

8 hours ago, Bjernhart said:

I have bought most of the parts for my gaming rig however I have not opened them. I could just return the CPU, and get my money back, and wait for the new coffee lake.

I've really been out of the loop when it comes to CPUs and so on, the current CPU I've planned to use on my gaming machine is an Intel Core i7 7700K. That I planned to do some overclocking on. However with the news you guys have provided, I'm almost positive that I'm going to wait for the new coffee lake.

I'll survive on what I got at the moment. :) 

Launch date for Coffee Lake is still unknown. Also, the cpu are expected to require motherboards with a new chipset. So if you are returning the cpu, return the motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎08 at 3:59 PM, brob said:

Launch date for Coffee Lake is still unknown. Also, the cpu are expected to require motherboards with a new chipset. So if you are returning the cpu, return the motherboard.

Ah thanks for informing me!

No need for 2 systems. You can return the 7700k and mobo or use them for now and then get an 8700k in a month with a Z370 chipset motherboard, once theyve launched. 8700k will be perfect for gaming and video editing.

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |