Laptop compatible with nvme?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Point the M.2 slot with the mounting standoff facing down and look for the notch in the slot. If you have a notch to the left or two notches, it's SATA only. If you have only a notch on the right, it's NVMe compatible.

Hello all, Someone is offering me me a Asus GL502vs laptop for 1150 bucks... Just curious before hand if it is compatible with m.2 nvme ssd's. Such as the 960 evo, Currently have one in my desktop I would move over if it supports it.

Exact model is: gl502vs-ws71

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Usually laptops use m.2 drives, and space is usually kinda tight inside of laptops, but if you squeeze real hard, you might get one in ;)

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Get a pc xD 

... Useful information. In my post It says I have a desktop. Good one too, Just getting a laptop for travel purposes.

7 minutes ago, Atreyix said:

Hello all, Someone is offering me me a Asus GL502vs laptop for 1150 bucks... Just curious before hand if it is compatible with m.2 nvme ssd's. Such as the 960 evo, Currently have one in my desktop I would move over if it supports it.

Exact model is: gl502vs-ws71

Any help would be great. Thanks!

you could also have an external drive bay, connected via a adapter :D

It does not list M.2 NVMe socket compatibility in the specs, which is something they would want to brag about. Only a variety of SSD options.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

Just now, Atreyix said:

... Useful information. In my post It says I have a desktop. Good one too, Just getting a laptop for travel purposes.

Mhmm, You don't really need a laptop with a 1070 (what google came up with) for "travel purposes" but whatever. You should look for measurements or do some google searches since most laptops are different in the space they offer for SSD's But i think that you'll be ok. Maybe look up the size of the one already in there and compare it to yours.

17 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Point the M.2 slot with the mounting standoff facing down and look for the notch in the slot. If you have a notch to the left or two notches, it's SATA only. If you have only a notch on the right, it's NVMe compatible.

Thank you, I have had some laptops come my way saying there is a nvme ssd inside, but it only goes at sata speeds. This helps a ton. Thank you.

Just now, Atreyix said:

Thank you, I have had some laptops come my way saying there is a nvme ssd inside, but it only goes at sata speeds. This helps a ton. Thank you.

I should probably back up a bit. Like any other interface the supports a dozen things optionally, the manufacturer may just go "lol nope" and not actually support it since most SATA M.2 drives have two notches and can fit in a slot that can take an NVMe drive.

Just something to keep aware of.

Well If it supports it, it supports it. I'll find out when I get the laptop, Was just wondering ahead of time. Thanks a ton for the info. :)