Keep my PC, or Gun + Xbone?

UnderADyingSun

So I have about 1400$ worth of parts on the way to me, and I just realize how stupidly expensive pc gaming is ESPECIALLY if you have nothing ( I realize you can budget further, who wants last gen tech though, not me ). No desk, no good peripherals etc...

I'm reconsidering my investment. I'm just not sure it'll be worth it, I mean...is it? Granted I am a bonafied gamer. I've played console since I was 9 starting with a sega genesis and eventually getting a ps one and the whole family of consoles that followed would be mine. My primary games, outside of achievement whoring for gamerscore, have always been CoD, Gears, and Battlefield and I should say I was content but growing bored and weary of these experiences ( I play alot of rpg's/platformers as well ). Thus, I viewed PC gaming to be a means of re invigorating my passion for gaming. Affording me better graphics, community and a wealth of other options. But somehow I just feel guilty about spending this money. Alternatively, I've had my sights on a new pistol ( cz75 sp01 ) and I feel as though the next generation of consoles might suite me better coupled with this purchase.

Idk, I'm equal parts excited and equal parts disgusted. Anyone care to elaborate on the awesomeness of using PC as a gaming platform? In my shoes, what would you do?

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

Maybe get a 700ish pc you'll still get great performance for half the price

Mind showing us a part list?

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Sure, in crude format ( sorry, cooking )

Fx8350, Asus Sabre 990fx, 1TB Drive w/ 120g SSD, R9 290, Carbide 500r case, 212 Evo for cpu, 1000w corsair psu, Blu Ray Asus, Mechanical Kb, M60 mouse, Windows 8.1 and ermm sorry probably forgetting one or two more trivial things.

Monitor I already have.

8320 @ 4.3ghz l Gigabyte 970a Ud3 l Hyper 212 Evo l R9 290 l 8gb RAM 1866 Vengeance l 1tb WD Black l 120gb Samsung Evo SSD l HX750 Gold PSU l 500d Arctic Case l Windows 8 OS l K65 and Blackwidow Keyboard l M65 and DeathAdder 2013 l Qck Steelseries l 24in Vizio Monitor 1080p

If you really are a bonafide gamer, and you've dedicated this much time and money into it, don't quit before you even experience the awesomeness of PC gaming. It's like buying a plane ticket to go to a city to run a marathon, and then, at the day of the marathon, you decide to go home instead.

I would keep on going with PC gaming, personally. Don't forget, with consoles, you have to go through paid subscriptions to even get online gaming up.

Also, it really depends if you have a stable income. If you're sacrificing one month's food for this, don't do it.

I don't want to force you to do anything. It's your choice, but this is what I would do.

Buy the xbone and the gun.

Shoot the xbone.

Cancel your order and order cheaper parts along with a desk and such from Ikea.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you really are a bonafide gamer, and you've dedicated this much time and money into it, don't quit before you even experience the awesomeness of PC gaming. It's like buying a plane ticket to go to a city to run a marathon. And then, at the day of the marathon, decide to go home instead.

I would keep on going with PC gaming, personally. Don't forget, with consoles, you have to go through paid subscriptions to even get online gaming up.

Also, it really depends if you have a stable income. If you're sacrificing one month's food for this, don't do it.

I don't want to force you to do anything. It's your choice, but this is what I would do.

The bittersweet voice of reason! Hi Targ, it wouldn't disrupt my income but I have a tendency to be very careful about bigger purchases. You bring up a good point about console investment. Infact it with those considerations that I decided for PC gaming not too long ago. Full price software, subscription service ( which I've all too complacently supported for 8 years oO ), controller replacements etc...

Hmm, I do feel better reviewing that. See, if newegg just had this stuff at my doorstep already I'd be situated and never looking back. This wait gives me way too much time to over think. BTW, what's your Origin/SteamID. Mind if I add you?

EDIT- @ Wooden, I laughed haha would make a great youtube upload

Hmm, I do feel better reviewing that. See, if newegg just had this stuff at my doorstep already I'd be situated and never looking back. This wait gives me way too much time to over think. BTW, what's your Origin/SteamID. Mind if I add you?

Steam : target3218

Also, if you decide to mine litecoins for 8 hours a day, you're looking at around $110/month in 13.9 litecoins.

well i guess you could try to save some money by getting cheaper parts. for example, you don't need 1000w psu and a blu ray player (unless you own a large library of blu ray movies). My dad got a blu ray player for our htpc and we haven't used it even once.

Also, remember that with PC gaming games are way cheaper and like others said, you don't need to pay for Gold or Plus subscription.

Finally, why do you want/need a gun?

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I love the Cz75 its better than most American handguns imo and its a great investment but I would go PC gaming, I budgeted and instead of getting two 7970s crossfire i got a Mosin nagant and a thousand rounds. Try to work them both because why not play shooters in pc glory and real life.

Case: CM Storm Trooper I CPU: 4770k @4.5ghz I Cpu cooler: H110 I RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16gb 2400mhz I GPU: Sapphire 7970 OC I Mobo: Msi gd65 I PSU: Corsair rm 750w I KEYBOARD: Cm Storm Trigger cherry mx blue I MOUSE: Corsair m65 I MONITORS: ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz and Acer X223W 22" 60hz I AUDIO: Corsair vengeance 1500

Well out of those 3 things it seems you most want the PC and the gun, so keep the PC and in the not so distant future grab the weapon also, both are purchases that will provide years of enjoyment and usefulness.

Skip the Xbone, PC gaming and firearms are a manly brew, you will discover whole new genres of gaming without losing the ability to play the multi platform games you like!

As a bonus, PC games are cheaper, there are Steam sales (one on right now as a matter of fact) to get even cheaper games, there are no wailing children in the background while you are playing, you can choose to use an Xbox 360 controller to play games if you wish (it's natively supported in most new games that are also out on console) you can connect the PC to your HDTV and literally play it like a console if that's what you fancy that day, only with 1080p and 60fps in all your games.

Oh yeah online is free too, and google Steam Big Picture to see how you now have a nice UI for launching games that you can control with an Xbox controller from your couch.

I'm saving up for a 280x for £250.

That's a 1/4 of my wage or 2 food shops in my head, I'm going to feel disgusted and excited at the same time but I come to realise in life you need to have a hobby and you can get the gun at a later date.

Hook it up to a TV buy a controller, consoles have always lacked something for me which is why I'm going back to PC plus they say the XBO and PS4 will have a short lifecycle.

you're investing WAY too much on your motherboard.... and get the 8320 its just as good, pretty sure its just a lower binned chip.

1000w is WAY too much.

You can always go for the 280X and save another 100 dollars. 280X is still really powerful.

the Intel 530 240GB is really cheap right now, so get that over w/e you were getting before(i'm looking at amazon)

and get a cheaper case. maybe a fractal design core 3000? Antec 300?

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Idk think about this stuff be fore tou order it. All I know is idk where is be without a powerful pc and I dont game that much.

Stick with it man, grit your teeth and bear it once it gets here you will not be disappointed. Everyone needs a balling gaming rig at least one point in there life and it's inspiring that you did it for your first build haha. But don't fret about peripherals and a desk. Just find some old desk lying around your house or maybe at a goodwill or something or even a card board box it doesn't matter. And it doesnt matter if you are on a  CRT monitor and using a model M keyboard and a mouse with one button. YOU ARE NOW A MEMBER OF THE PC MASTER RACE!!!

Half of it is the hardware yes, but the other half is the experience and the freedom and nothing else can compare! And don't worry man you can get a nice monitor keyboard and mouse for 200$ or lower so you wont be lacking on quality peripherals for long. Just stick with it man.

I mean you are talking to people who started gaming on desktops with shitty low end intel integrated graphics back in the early 2000s but we stuck with it! You have the advantage of having a rig people dream of! So don't back down and stick with it! And the LTT community will be here for you every step of the way!!

TL:DR Shine on you glorious bastard... shine on!!1

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Games are cheaper to so in the long run that might be a trade off.

You could do what I do and if a game is cheaper than the console version say £10 that £10 goes to my bank for savings or in your case a gun :-S

Sure, in crude format ( sorry, cooking )

Fx8350, Asus Sabre 990fx, 1TB Drive w/ 120g SSD, R9 290, Carbide 500r case, 212 Evo for cpu, 1000w corsair psu, Blu Ray Asus, Mechanical Kb, M60 mouse, Windows 8.1 and ermm sorry probably forgetting one or two more trivial things.

Monitor I already have.

well, you should probably go for Windows 7 instead, and also go for an 750W PSU.

Hello. Here are some words.

FX-8150, GTX 670, ASRock 990Fx Extreme4, 8Gb Patriot RAM, 1TB boot and Storage, Windows 7 64Bit

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.146.76:3062/

well, you should probably go for Windows 7 instead, and also go for an 750W PSU.

No stick with windows 8.1, its not as bad as people say it is

Thanks for all the activity all ^^

My parcel is arriving today, and I'm pretty sure I exist at the ass end of the fed ex route so some hours to go! I've tested my resolve, and am happy to say at this point all I care about is gettin' dem der shiny parts and enjoying my newfound gaming experience!

Just want to make a strong cup of joe and get started already :/ I had this notion that all parts would have arrived early am so as to coincide with a delicious breakfast and a sugar rush but w/e

No stick with windows 8.1, its not as bad as people say it is

For Windows 8 to be decent you need to install classic shell.

Windows 7 is still the superior OS.

FX-8150, GTX 670, ASRock 990Fx Extreme4, 8Gb Patriot RAM, 1TB boot and Storage, Windows 7 64Bit

For Windows 8 to be decent you need to install classic shell.

Windows 7 is still the superior OS.

get off the bandwagon. Windows 8 is the superior OS. Its faster, uses less resources, and has better multithread support. Its far better than windows 7 for gaming and professional work. There is absolutley nothing about windows 7 that would make it better than windows 8. not a single thing. "it doesn't have windows shell" oh boohoo, theres like 50 million options out there that are even better than microsoft's windows shell.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

get off the bandwagon. Windows 8 is the superior OS. Its faster, uses less resources, and has better multithread support. Its far better than windows 7 for gaming and professional work. There is absolutley nothing about windows 7 that would make it better than windows 8. not a single thing. "it doesn't have windows shell" oh boohoo, theres like 50 million options out there that are even better than microsoft's windows shell.

You make it sound like its impossible for me to forge my own opinion without jumping on a "bandwagon".

You make it sound like its impossible for me to forge my own opinion without jumping on a "bandwagon".

It's not an opinion. Windows 8 as a fact is a better OS. Your opinion may be "I like windows 7 better, I find it easier to use." That's fine, if you like Windows 7, go use windows 7. But at the end of the day, windows 8 is still a superior OS. There is a difference between what you prefer, and what is a "better" product. And in this case, you like windows 7, fine, I don't care, but don't add false information like "windows 7 is better" when windows 8 is much better.

It's not an opinion. Windows 8 as a fact is a better OS. Your opinion may be "I like windows 7 better, I find it easier to use." That's fine, if you like Windows 7, go use windows 7. But at the end of the day, windows 8 is still a superior OS. There is a difference between what you prefer, and what is a "better" product. And in this case, you like windows 7, fine, I don't care, but don't add false information like "windows 7 is better" when windows 8 is much better.

I meant it was better IN THIS SITUATION. He's looking to cut down in price so Windows 7 is the better choice in this situation.

I meant it was better IN THIS SITUATION. He's looking to cut down in price so Windows 7 is the better choice in this situation.

You said "superior" not "better choice" And windows 8 is the same price as windows 7 on amazon. And it's cheaper if you get a full retail copy on ebay.

PC ALL THE WAY!

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|