USB 3 transfer speed same as USB 2

VSTOLL

Hello guys,

I was transfering a 4GB file from my PC to my external USB3 HDD and I noticed that the speed was around 30~35mb/s. I changed the policy of the HDD under device manager and it starts and stays at 150mb/s for a few seconds (probably reading the file from the internal HD) and then it drops to 30~35mb/s again.

I tried transfering the same file from a cheap lenovo notebook and the speed was 42~50mb/s, both PCs are on the latest Windows upgrades. 

My specs are:

MSi B350M Mortar

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2667MHz

Ryzen 7 1700 @ Stock

Speeds are the same on rear and front USB 3 ports and on both rear USB 2 ports.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks!

EDIT:

This is showing under the Devices panel on Windows Settings

Capture.PNG.945005e226cacc7e03cd76287759ff86.PNG

So I guess that USB 3 is not working properly, am I right?

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

My guess would be the connector on the external hdd is screwed (contacts broken or shorting) or the cable is bad.

Either of these could make the external hdd fall back to usb 2.0 (which only requires 2 wires to transmit data instead of four)

Check the connector on your hdd with your eyes, make sure those contacts look right (not damaged, broken,bent, that they have some elasticity etc)

This sounds normal to me actually.

I have always noticed that speeds when transferring files are often ludicrous for a few seconds before slowing down to a more stable speed. Always thought it was a caching issue.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

On 04/09/2017 at 2:16 PM, VSTOLL said:

Hello guys,

I was transfering a 4GB file from my PC to my external USB3 HDD and I noticed that the speed was around 30~35mb/s. I changed the policy of the HDD under device manager and it starts and stays at 150mb/s for a few seconds (probably reading the file from the internal HD) and then it drops to 30~35mb/s again.

I tried transfering the same file from a cheap lenovo notebook and the speed was 42~50mb/s, both PCs are on the latest Windows upgrades. 

My specs are:

MSi B350M Mortar

16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 2667MHz

Ryzen 7 1700 @ Stock

Speeds are the same on rear and front USB 3 ports and on both rear USB 2 ports.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks!

EDIT:

This is showing under the Devices panel on Windows Settings

Capture.PNG.945005e226cacc7e03cd76287759ff86.PNG

So I guess that USB 3 is not working properly, am I right?

Please check your case and motherboard.

What you're looking for is to ensure that the Front USB 3.0 port is connected to a USB 3.0 header, not a USB 2.0 one. USB 2.0 headers are not physically compatible, but you can buy adapters, so I would just double check to make sure there aren't any adapters that are downconverting your USB 3.0 into 2.0.

Assuming that checks out, I would double check your USB 3.0 drivers. Check your motherboard website and see if there are updated drivers listed - if so, reinstall them.

Lastly I would check the USB 3.0 ports using a different USB 3.0 device. A USB 3.0 flash drive, for example, is a good choice (just make sure you're testing one that has decent read and write speeds).

It could be that your USB 3.0 enclosure is damaged and is falling back to USB 2.0 speeds. Or it could be something else entirely.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)