random crashing when using pc

BadneckRedneck

Hello,

I'm having these weird crashes when I am using my pc for gaming or just using the internet.

My pc locks up and the audio starts spazzing like there is no tomorrow, and then it shuts itself off and restarts.

I have a motherboard beeper in my pc and it gives me just regular startup beep and in some cases a videocard error.

I tried reinstalling my drivers and I tested a another windows install on my backup disc and this didn't fix the error.

I also hear a weird click coming from my power supply when it restarts, so I am currently thinking that my old PSU is failing.

my specs:

CPU: amd fx 8350 with a Corsair h100i

RAM: 4*4gb ddr3

GPU: gigabyte geforce gtx 670 2gb

PSU: cooler master 750 watt 80 plus certified (I don't know the name of this unit, but it is the oldest part in my system)

Motherboard: gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3

Storage: 240gb OCZ SSD and a 2tb Toshiba 7.2K rpm HDD

I sexually identify as a Dell Optiplex 755

Do you have a bad overclock? 

Otherwise, sounds like a PSU issue like you thought.

Hope this helps!

Have you checked your event log, or ever get any BSODs?  So you've pretty much eliminated a software issue, and made the right move to suspect hardware.  But technically what your describing can be anything, but if a piece of hardware is making a noise that it shouldn't be, I'd start there first.  Grab a PSU from the store,  replace and test.  If it doesn't fix the problem,  return. and move on to GPU, HDD etc.

9 minutes ago, BadneckRedneck said:

I would guess PSU as well, do you have a spare unit you can try, maybe borrow as friends and run a stress test? 

1 minute ago, jaysangwan32 said:

Do you have a bad overclock? 

Otherwise, sounds like a PSU issue like you thought.

Hope this helps!

I haven't overclocked anything on this system, so that's not it

1 minute ago, Donny_Chen said:

Have you checked your event log, or ever get any BSODs?  So you've pretty much eliminated a software issue, and made the right move to suspect hardware.  But technically what your describing can be anything, but if a piece of hardware is making a noise that it shouldn't be, I'd start there first.  Grab a PSU from the store,  replace and test.  If it doesn't fix the problem,  return. and move on to GPU, HDD etc.

The strange thing that I forgot to mention was that I didn't get any crash dumps or BSOD's, but I will borrow my friend's 600W PSU to check if the problem is my PSU

I sexually identify as a Dell Optiplex 755