I'm Considering Pulling the Trigger on a High-Endish S-VHS VCR

PlayStation 2

Well, yeah. Long story short I'm looking into getting a decent VCR that happens to have time-base correction among other features, and I found this one. I'm not 100% sure if I should use an eBay listing link for it but it's a JVC SR-V101US.

Here's a video that demonstrates how it cleans up a regular VHS tape.

But for $125, I genuinely don't know if it's worth that much even if I'd find great use for it.

Would it be worth paying that much? Should I try for something similar but cheaper? Would it be better just to get a better capture card for use on my VCR?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This should be placed in Hobby Electronics, I believe. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I forgot to ask what you need the VCR for.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personal use of copying tapes to my PC, hopefully in a high quality manner.

I would just try a capture card if you've got one laying around.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Quality looks nice enough.
Like previous comment said, capture card might be an easier route.

Gaming PCs:
Intel i7 4790k, EVGA GTX 980ti, NZXT H440
Intel i5 7600k, Asus GTX 970 DC Mini, Silverstone SG13B
HTPC: AMD Phenom II X6 1045t, EVGA GTX 770 FTW, Fractal Node 604

In the film industry I learned a term: Shit in, shit out.

But that said, it's important to know that SVHS and VHS are seperate formats.  Any commercially released home video tape is still only going to be VHS, so you have fairly limited benefits to gain.  Frankly, a VHS tape is inherently inferior to a composite video signal on it's own.  This is why LaserDisc was an improvement even if it was read only, laserdisc stores an optically encoded analog composite signal so it's 'as good' as a pure composite signal cause, well, that's what's on the disc.  The TBC feature to yield cleaner playback is one thing by the digital noise reduction is really just post processing and you can do lots of post processing once content has been ingested into a PC and make use of vastly improved techniques.  And frankly, post processing doesn't 'clean things' it 'changes things', weather that changes is 'better' is subjective to the viewer.

Not to mention any VHS tape of 24p content would be interlaced up to 60i using a 3:2 pulldown and no VHS deck is going to undo that.

19 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

In the film industry I learned a term: Shit in, shit out.

But that said, it's important to know that SVHS and VHS are seperate formats.  Any commercially released home video tape is still only going to be VHS, so you have fairly limited benefits to gain.  Frankly, a VHS tape is inherently inferior to a composite video signal on it's own.  This is why LaserDisc was an improvement even if it was read only, laserdisc stores an optically encoded analog composite signal so it's 'as good' as a pure composite signal cause, well, that's what's on the disc.  The TBC feature to yield cleaner playback is one thing by the digital noise reduction is really just post processing and you can do lots of post processing once content has been ingested into a PC and make use of vastly improved techniques.  And frankly, post processing doesn't 'clean things' it 'changes things', weather that changes is 'better' is subjective to the viewer.

Not to mention any VHS tape of 24p content would be interlaced up to 60i using a 3:2 pulldown and no VHS deck is going to undo that.

Most of the content I'll be dealing with is either going to come in at 480i60 if I end up with this.

With my current VCR (and if I bothered with an actual capture card instead of a shitty EasyCap) I could likely do 480p60 or 720p60 if I get really lazy.

If you're wondering why I can try for either, it's a story that can be shortened to a VHS/DVD combo recorder that has an HDMI port.

I guess I'm wondering if how the VCR does its own post-processing would be superior than what I could do with my current VCR. I'm just curious as to if it'd be worth the investment.

for 125$ it's not worth it. you can do far more post processing on your computer than the vcr will be capable of.

honestly your limitation here is the vhs format itself and not really the player. I have an older analog capture machine for composite signal I sometimes use , and anything that outputs a composite signal like an old games console always looks better than vhs tapes.

it just comes down to the vhs itself being inferior to what the signal is capable of.

Just now, emosun said:

for 125$ it's not worth it. you can do far more post processing on your computer than the vcr will be capable of.

honestly your limitation here is the vhs format itself and not really the player. I have an older analog capture machine for composite signal I sometimes use , and anything that outputs a composite signal like an old games console always looks better than vhs tapes.

it just comes down to the vhs itself being inferior to what the signal is capable of.

Alright, I'll see what my plan will end up being.

Just now, emosun said:

I've seen that video and I've seen a vwestlife video demonstrating how far VHS tapes can basically go when it comes to pre-recorded. I'll have to see what would be the best capture method for me.

Considering that my VCR has four outputs available (composite, S-video, component and HDMI) I'd just wonder what would be the best option.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Considering that my VCR has four outputs available (composite, S-video, component and HDMI) I'd just wonder what would be the best option.

well as he covers in the 8bit guy video , vhs is essentially worse than a raw composite signal.

So so long as you don't use a coax connection , then ANY signal will be superior to the vhs you're recording it from.

Just now, emosun said:

well as he covers in the 8bit guy video , vhs is essentially worse than a raw composite signal.

So so long as you don't use a coax connection , then ANY signal will be superior to the vhs you're recording it from.

I guess now I'll start searching for a decent capture card.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I guess now I'll start searching for a decent capture card.

well pretty much any composite capture card from the past 10 year will work. We pretty much mastered analog composite capture as you know it's only a 480i signal so most machine 10-15 years ago had enough power to capture the signal.

your easycap , is most likely doing the same as these legacy machine were even then. is the easycap simply not creating a 480i file?

Just now, emosun said:

well pretty much any composite capture card from the past 10 year will work. We pretty much mastered analog composite capture as you know it's only a 480i signal so most machine 10-15 years ago had enough power to capture the signal.

your easycap , is most likely doing the same as these legacy machine were even then. is the easycap simply not creating a 480i file?

It does. It just records stuff quite poorly from a VCR even though its composite. I might be expecting a little too much but it is quite suspectable to dropping frames if something like static happens and it just doesn't look that good even for a VHS tape. 

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

it is quite suspectable to dropping frames if something like static happens

that can be a problem that it won't simply stay recording regardless of whats happening. I use an old pinnacle card that has a few settings that prevent it from cutting capture when it detects scene changes or detects blank spots in the tape.

your easycap may be seeing the static as blank spots in the tape , or , the vcr sees it as blank spots in the tape and changes it's signal output based on that.