Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF GPU HELP

SupamanLawson

Hey everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read and help. 

I am currently saving to build my 1st Gaming PC. Tired of the limitations of console. 

In the mean time. I have a Dell Optiplex 3010 SFF pc. 

i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz

16GB DDR3 1333

240 stock psu

unknown motherboard

I want to know what GPU i could get for this system. Ive researched alot and see a few thrown around. 1050ti, 750ti, amd 550. And all seems good.

Then  tried to research the max wattage for my pcie and according to dell its 50w. But i see alot of people saying 75w. So im not sure what to go off of.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. 

Also any recommendation for a build would be great. 

Not sure if i want intel or ryzen, but i know whoever replies is a lot more knowledgeable about this than I am. 

So I am open to any and all recommendations 

If the slot is only a 50-watt slot, get a GT 1030. If not, get a 1050 (1050ti if there is a low profile one that doesn't require external power).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

26 minutes ago, SupamanLawson said:

Hey everyone,

I am currently saving to build my 1st Gaming PC. Tired of the limitations of console. 

i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz

16GB DDR3 1333

240 stock psu

unknown motherboard

I want to know what GPU i could get for this system. Ive researched alot and see a few thrown around. 1050ti, 750ti, amd 550. And all seems good.

Then  tried to research the max wattage for my pcie and according to dell its 50w. But i see alot of people saying 75w. So im not sure what to go off of.

Using something like Belarc will tell you all about the stuff you have in your machine.  And it's FREE.

http://www.belarc.com/en/products_belarc_advisor

1 hour ago, SupamanLawson said:

Hey everyone,

i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz

16GB DDR3 1333

240 stock psu

unknown motherboard

i love these machines, got an optiplex 290 that i gave to my dad to use. I got a GT 710 in it (passively cooled so huge ass heat sink) still a pretty crappy card for gaming through. I don't believe that these machines provide pci power connectors as the PSU's are low wattage and energy efficient for the system anwyay

Laptop: Gigabyte AERO 15X - i7 8750h, gtx 1070, 16gb ddr4, 2TB Samsung NVME

Current Build:NZXT h440, Intel i7 5930k, Corsair H100i, Asus x99 deluxe, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz LPX, Evga 1080ti hybrid SLI, Evga supernova 1200w, Lg 34gk950f monitor, 2x Samsung 850 Pro in Raid 0 <p>

1 hour ago, SupamanLawson said:

I had a similar situation with a lp 750 ti in a Compaq pro.  It did just fine even with a supposed power delivery of 35w (iirc).  I think dell/hp tend to underrate the power that gets delivered (it may be a reference based on supported cards), but I can't say for sure.  It may lose a little performance under heavy load, but should work just fine.  

I can't say for sure about the optiplex, but my 750 ti didn't seem held back on the HP, so I think you would be just fine with a lp 1050ti.  If you wanted to play it super safe you could go for the gt 1030, which has the performance of a 750ti but consumes less power.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

You wont be able to fit a full height graphics card in that PC as it only has half height slots. meaning you're limited to some really low end graphics cards.

This is kinda the best you can get: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-1050-2GT-LP/dp/B01N6NI5X6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489508676&sr=8-1&keywords=gtx+1050+low+profile

Which might be enough for you, but you are paying  premium for the low height.

It is not possible for you to take that motherboard out and put it in a different, bigger case that supports full height graphics cards, as the motherboard uses a proprietary form factor and the mounting holes will not line up.

You should be fine with the cpu and ram you have got, and you dont need to upgrade. Something like a 1050ti would be perfect but you wouldn't be able to put it in your system.

Also your power supply might not have any PCIe Connectors so you would have to use Molex adaptors and then you should also check to see if your power supply can deliver enough power and it is all a mess.

You might be able to buy a new motherboard, Case and PSU and swap the parts over, but by the time you have done that you might aswell buy a whole new system, So that is what I would do in your situation, Buy a whole brand new system and use that pc as a second pc, or sell it or something.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at this card and it says it has a 75w draw. And according to Dell, im maxed at 50w.

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If the slot is only a 50-watt slot, get a GT 1030. If not, get a 1050 (1050ti if there is a low profile one that doesn't require external power).

Thanks for the reply and info. I was looking at the 1030 and the 1050 ti, but according to dell the max watt for my slot is apparently 50w. 

3 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

I had a similar situation with a lp 750 ti in a Compaq pro.  It did just fine even with a supposed power delivery of 35w (iirc).  I think dell/hp tend to underrate the power that gets delivered (it may be a reference based on supported cards), but I can't say for sure.  It may lose a little performance under heavy load, but should work just fine.  

I can't say for sure about the optiplex, but my 750 ti didn't seem held back on the HP, so I think you would be just fine with a lp 1050ti.  If you wanted to play it super safe you could go for the gt 1030, which has the performance of a 750ti but consumes less power.

Thanks for the info, I was looking at all 3 of the cards you listed. I just not informed about the watt issue for the PCIe. Im fairly new to the PC scene, so im pretty much a noob when it comes to stuff.

1 minute ago, SupamanLawson said:

Hey thanks for the link. I downloaded and ran it but it doesnt tell me anything about my PCIe watt limit. 

But it will tell you what make and model motherboard you have and with that information you can go to the motherboard makers website and you can view or download a copy of the manual for the motherboard.  The manuals are usually in PDF format so that should not be a problem.  Check the stats listed in the website or manual and see if the thing you are looking for is listed in there.

4 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

R7 240 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129298

R7 250 https://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Radeon-GDDR5-DVI-D-Graphics/dp/B00JXQ0K70

1050 Ti https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081

you have lots of option. just might have to put the low pro bracket on them if they don't come with them installed by default. I've got a SFF Dell set up for my grandad right now thats an r7 240 a Q9300 and 8 gb of ram. If you need anything let me know. I've done a few SFF Dells up :) 

Hey thanks for you reply, I didnt expect this much help. 

According to Dell's manual. There is a 50w limit but ive seen a Youtube video of someone putting in the 1050ti with low profile bracket but didnt mention anything about the watt limit. I just dont want to burn out a card if i can help it. 

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

But it will tell you what make and model motherboard you have and with that information you can go to the motherboard makers website and you can view or download a copy of the manual for the motherboard.  The manuals are usually in PDF format so that should not be a problem.  Check the stats listed in the website or manual and see if the thing you are looking for is listed in there.

Sorry I forgot to mention I did look up the motherboard. It got me to dells website and stated a 50w max limit. 

Then I see a youtuber put in a 1050ti in the very same SFF dell 3010. so im not at all sure what I can or cannot to. I definitely dont want to burn out a card or pc. I know a gt 1030 would be the safest pic. but after seeing the 1050ti go in that video, Im wondering if it would work. 

10 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I guess my next idea would be to ask if your system is under warranty?  If your machine is still under warranty, then putting in something at 75 watts in a slot rated for 50 watts will blow your warranty if something goes wrong and it ends up smoking the machine.  So, if your still under warranty then your options are limited even further.  If not, then feel free to proceed at your own risk.  Good Luck.

24 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

I guess my next idea would be to ask if your system is under warranty?  If your machine is still under warranty, then putting in something at 75 watts in a slot rated for 50 watts will blow your warranty if something goes wrong and it ends up smoking the machine.  So, if your still under warranty then your options are limited even further.  If not, then feel free to proceed at your own risk.  Good Luck.

Luckily its not under warranty. I got it for free so Im not too worried about it. But i definitely dont want to ruin a perfectly good system. So I might stay safe with the 1030 unless someone with the same system can make a safe claim for the 1050ti

6 hours ago, SupamanLawson said:

Thanks for the reply and info. I was looking at the 1030 and the 1050 ti, but according to dell the max watt for my slot is apparently 50w. 

Yeah, then get the 1030. It only has a TDP of 30 watts IIRC.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

The big 1050ti has a 75 watt tdp. I'd be surprised if the SFF ones also ate that much power. And really its probably just a limit to keep all the other PCIe slots powered. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but its your system.

As far as MSI LP 1050ti, They say it has 75w tdp. I was just hoping to get a little bit better than the 1030 to put into a new system eventually. If i do try the 1050ti, What would be the worst damage that could happen to the system?.

3 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah, then get the 1030. It only has a TDP of 30 watts IIRC.

Does look like I will have to go with the 1030 unless someone with the same exact system has a 1050ti that works fine. 

2 hours ago, Spenser1337 said:

You can put a 1050 In

I know I can put it in, just a matter of will it damage the system if i put it in. 

1 minute ago, SupamanLawson said:

I know I can put it in, just a matter of will it damage the system if i put it in. 

No

2 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

No

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Seems like its 50/50 on opinion.

3 minutes ago, SupamanLawson said:

Thanks, I appreciate your input. Seems like its 50/50 on opinion.

I have an optiplex 790, same psu as yours 

had to mod the case but the 1050 works to this day inside of it 

1 minute ago, Spenser1337 said:

I have an optiplex 790, same psu as yours 

had to mod the case but the 1050 works to this day inside of it 

Thats actually refreshing, looks like im leaning towards that 1050ti. But is your motherboard with the same tdp?