Witcher series

VicRik

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, Witcher 3 is currently on sale and I have always been interested by it. I just want to know whether I should really play the other 2 games first? I know there are more threads like these on the internet but they all give different answers. I trust you guys' opinion so I would like to know what you guys think?

Thanks!

VicRik

The Witcher 3 can be played an understood on its own, but if you really want to get into the story and characters, it's best to play the previous games. 

I personally just like the amount of Slavic folklore in The Witcher 3 rather than the story and characters so I haven't gone back to play the previous ones, but I have friends who have played all of them. 

7 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

there are some references here and there that hint at the pervieous games but other than that no need

8 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

The Witcher 3 can be played an understood on its own, but if you really want to get into the story and characters, it's best to play the previous games. 

I personally just like the amount of Slavic folklore in The Witcher 3 rather than the story and characters so I haven't gone back to play the previous ones, but I have friends who have played all of them. 

16 minutes ago, Dryader said:

doesn't matter

I am going to buy it, should I also get the expansions or arent they that good?

1 hour ago, VicRik said:

the expansions are freaking amazing. just don't think about it - get them. tho preferable to buy the witcher 3 goty edition 

The game is worth it. But just know it's rather dark. Not many quests end well. None end happily. Some are quite touching.

I'll give you spoilers if you want to hear them. But it's a fun and involved game.

the first 2 games dont really hold up to todays standards in my opinion, they are fun, but the combat is a pain in the ass and they're difficult to get in to. i say skip them completely so you dont get put off and decide to to play the 3rd one. you dont need to play the other games to understand whats going on. a lot of it is actually explained in game.

i havent personally had a chance to play the expansions, but i do highly suggest getting them, so much content added its worth it.

if you really want the lore, and more in depth knowledge, read the books. they are amazing. and the pdf versions of them can be found online.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

YOu will understand the World and Characters way more´and you would feel like returning to this World. But its not 100% nessecary.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 hours ago, VicRik said:

The expansions are A MUST.

Hearts of stone is very good, and Blood and Wine is a full game in expansion disguise. A new map with 30 hours of gameplay, Just amazing.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Like others have said, knowing the lore and the story will make you enjoy the game much more, at least it did for me.

I didn't play the first two games though, I just watched a few videos on Youtube made by some great folks, in which they recapped the whole story of both first games. It helped me tremendously understanding the lore while playing the last title.

9 minutes ago, ToBeHiFi said:

Like others have said, knowing the lore and the story will make you enjoy the game much more, at least it did for me.

I didn't play the first two games though, I just watched a few videos on Youtube made by some great folks, in which they recapped the whole story of both first games. It helped me tremendously understanding the lore while playing the last title.

I have bought the GOTY version guys, thanks for your help!

ToBeHifi, could you link me those videos? ☺

That's a yes for Witcher 2 and a no for Witcher 1. As important as it was at it's time it's just sub par by comparison: game mechanics were far clunkier and the story was a rather weak re-telling of the same basic story from the books.

2 On the other hand is actually a really good game on it's own. It's just not as good as 3 cause it wasn't really open world and the story kind of ends on a cliffhanger. I'd consider a nice mix between intro and prequel to Witcher 3.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If you are really lost and care to learn the backstory, read the books or find a wiki on them.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I just read all about the 1 and 2 on the wikia, it was enough to understand what's going on in the third which is by all means one of my most favourite games of all time.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 hours ago, Taja said:

A new map with 30 hours of gameplay, Just amazing.

30 hours that can easily be doubled if you play it without a hurry, really explore every corner on maximum difficulty and all.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

30 hours that can easily be doubled if you play it without a hurry, really explore every corner on maximum difficulty and all.

Well, maybe for completionists. I did every quest available in max difficulty, and didnt take more than 35h IIRC. But is still more worth it than most games, I finished shadow of mordor in like 25h, and blood and wine is better in every way conceivable. Hearts of stone is like 8 hours maybe? but since it is on the main game, it gives more flavor to the base game in general (like the runewords and  points of interest)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

The game is worth it. But just know it's rather dark. Not many quests end well. None end happily. Some are quite touching.

I'll give you spoilers if you want to hear them. But it's a fun and involved game.

Witcher3 was my first jump into the open-world, RPG genre. It's the gold standard! @JohnT is right. It's dark as hell... and resolutions are VERY EASTERN EUROPEAN. Grimm Fairy Tale (like in the zee olde country).  The soundtrack & soundscape is immersive (especially while wearing headphones).  

The Blood & Wine DLC (costs $) has a very colourful palate (and indeed it's been compared to its own developed game).  I have all the paid DLC.  The developer also offers extra downloadable stuff INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL purchase price.  Yeah, I'm a convert. My only regret is that I'm now struggling with trying to find another game of the Witcher3's calibre.  Ah well. Enjoy the game, @VicRik

Witcher 3 Blood & Wine Review... from a year ago.

On 8/30/2017 at 7:26 PM, PrometheanCat2 said:

Witcher3 was my first jump into the open-world, RPG genre. It's the gold standard! @JohnT is right. It's dark as hell... and resolutions are VERY EASTERN EUROPEAN. Grimm Fairy Tale (like in the zee olde country).  The soundtrack & soundscape is immersive (especially while wearing headphones).  

The Blood & Wine DLC (costs $) has a very colourful palate (and indeed it's been compared to its own developed game).  I have all the paid DLC.  The developer also offers extra downloadable stuff INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL purchase price.  Yeah, I'm a convert. My only regret is that I'm now struggling with trying to find another game of the Witcher3's calibre.  Ah well. Enjoy the game, @VicRik

Witcher 3 Blood & Wine Review... from a year ago.

Just gotta wait for their new cyberpunk game dude

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530