I need some help with a Heating Element

Go to solution Solved by W-L,
32 minutes ago, Trentius_ said:

-SNIP-

Oh it's literally like a mini version of an electric kettle with a coil element, this from big clive may provide some more information on that type of heating unit. I still doubt it would get hot enough for aluminum, maybe casting pewter at most. 

Forgot to Link: 

So I found a SJH/SMT-80 SE-24 SE-17 120V 1460w Boiler in a Keurig coffee machine and need some help with its capabilities and use. How hot can this get if it runs at 1460 watts and is it AC or DC? I want to try to use it to melt some aluminum cans.

4 minutes ago, Trentius_ said:

So I found a SJH/SMT-80 SE-24 SE-17 120V 1460w Boiler in a Keurig coffee machine and need some help with its capabilities and use. How hot can this get if it runs at 1460 watts and is it AC or DC? I want to try to use it to melt some aluminum cans.

It will most likely not be able to get anywhere near the temperature required for melting aluminum as most household appliance heating elements have a thermal cutoff switches that will turn off the unit for safety reasons.  At 120V that is most commonly going to be AC unless there is a large AC to DC PSU inside the unit. 

there should be a sticker on it somewhere stating whether its using ac or dc, if its dc there should be some sort of a power supply somewhere internally or externally. the owners manual should state how hot it gets, or if you already have it disassembled you could look up the specific part number for the coil if there is a sticker on it somewhere.

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

It will most likely not be able to get anywhere near the temperature required for melting aluminum as most household appliance heating elements have a thermal cutoff switches that will turn off the unit for safety reasons.  At 120V that is most commonly going to be AC unless there is a large AC to DC PSU inside the unit. 

Alright so it is Ac and the cutoff switch is on the machines control board so if I plug it directly into wall socket (it has a 120v fuse) it should be a able to get to the max temperature right?

Also I should note I pulled this from the curb, the pump was dead.

And I am referring to the boiler itself with the controller removed just running it directly from a power supply/wall socket.

2 minutes ago, Trentius_ said:

Alright so it is Ac and the cutoff switch is on the machines control board so if I plug it directly into wall socket (it has a 120v fuse) it should be a able to get to the max temperature right?

It depends on the type of heating element, if it's PTC type heating element they are self regulating and will only reach a certain temp they are designed for. For restive type elements those depend since if you push it past their limits you risk melting the surrounding insulation. For melting metal though you may want to consider going with a small propane powered furnace, it will be more reliable and quick in the long run. 

It looks like a Restive type and the casing is stainless steel. 

1 hour ago, Trentius_ said:

It looks like a Restive type and the casing is stainless steel. 

You might be able to get it quite hot not sure if it will be enough for aluminum but make sure it has either a ceramic or fiberglass/phenolic type high temp insulation so it doesn't risk shorting itself out. 

Do you have a photo of it, my curiosity peaks me what it actually looks like inside. 

32 minutes ago, Trentius_ said:

-SNIP-

Oh it's literally like a mini version of an electric kettle with a coil element, this from big clive may provide some more information on that type of heating unit. I still doubt it would get hot enough for aluminum, maybe casting pewter at most. 

Forgot to Link: 

Edited by W-L

Well I plan on just throwing a can in it and see if it melts it, I don't care if it breaks. When I plug it in its going to be surrounded in cement walls in case it blows up xD 

21 hours ago, Trentius_ said:

Well I plan on just throwing a can in it and see if it melts it, I don't care if it breaks. When I plug it in its going to be surrounded in cement walls in case it blows up xD 

id say do a trial run outside with an extension cord and a fire extinguisher nearby

the biggest problem will probably be the high amps this thing will draw at your low voltages.

If this would be a 230V heater the chances would be much better to actually get this up to temperature