Want to learn a new programming languge

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

Since I found it easy enough to set up something client-server related (which would help with the whole LAN thing), I'm going to suggest Node.JS full stack development since it uses JavaScript, which is already a client language. Then all you need with that is Express for a web server (it can be kept local) and Socket.IO or whatever websocket-like framework you want for real-time information passing.

It might be a little daunting at first though.

I'm an amateur programmer looking to broaden my knowledge of programming.

I'm fairly OK with HTML (not 5), CSS, VB for applications (especially in the excel environment), and started looking into JavaScript.

I want to learn something new, or improve the above-mentioned by writing a game.

The game: The Firefly board-game is huge and impossible to play on a small table, so I want to make it into a computer game. So no complicated graphics or physics. Just an easy UI, dynamic layout and moving graphics around. That said, being able to play over LAN would be great as well.

Final though: whichever language I'm gonna use, it should be one with lots of support available - I'm gonna need it.

JavaScript is probably your best option.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Some PHP/mysql and HTML5 should work, with the knowlage you already have. Created monopoly that way myself. (code has been lost)

Try JavaScript, it's fairly simple, or Python. After you're good with those, you might want to move onto some variant of C.

Since I found it easy enough to set up something client-server related (which would help with the whole LAN thing), I'm going to suggest Node.JS full stack development since it uses JavaScript, which is already a client language. Then all you need with that is Express for a web server (it can be kept local) and Socket.IO or whatever websocket-like framework you want for real-time information passing.

It might be a little daunting at first though.

Best be good with Python since its very basic and powerful and makes fundamentals to other languages (java, c++, c, c#....) very easy.

23 hours ago, Dat Guy said:

Nothing's easier to pick up than Common Lisp.

Did you just recommend NOT C?!?!?

Later, later!

I never claimed C would generally be "easy to pick up".

You can integrate C into Common Lisp (over FFI).

Write in C.

Thank you all. I think the best would be to first dive deeper in JS, then I'll have a look at Python and then maybe later C++/C#.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:26 AM, Spikkel said:

I'm an amateur programmer looking to broaden my knowledge of programming.

I'm fairly OK with HTML (not 5), CSS, VB for applications (especially in the excel environment), and started looking into JavaScript.

I want to learn something new, or improve the above-mentioned by writing a game.

The game: The Firefly board-game is huge and impossible to play on a small table, so I want to make it into a computer game. So no complicated graphics or physics. Just an easy UI, dynamic layout and moving graphics around. That said, being able to play over LAN would be great as well.

Final though: whichever language I'm gonna use, it should be one with lots of support available - I'm gonna need it.

If you're looking to write a game and don't mind doing it in pure JavaScript (No HTML or CSS required, believe it or not) I'd recommend checking out the Sphere game engine, it includes all API documentation and natively supports DirectX and OpenGL. It's also makes for a nice way to start learning graphical programming.

EDIT: forgot to post a link spheredev.org

Do note that I haven't been able to figure out the audio functionality on Minisphere so I would recommend using the original engine (v1.5) located in the downloads Folder link on the page.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:55 AM, Dat Guy said:

Later, later!

I never claimed C would generally be "easy to pick up".

You can integrate C into Common Lisp (over FFI).

It's just... I thought you were killed and now have a double or something.... it's your motto to recommend C no matter what. 

I didnt think lisp could work with C in that way. I'm glad you're back!! I should've known C was involved somehow.