Entry level server

Hello,

I'm looking into building a server in my bedroom. I'll answer the questions below and suggest a build:

1. Budget & Location

Approximately $1300ish. In US-West.

2. Aim

Will be a on 24/7 running a few web servers, a few databases, running an always on DVR (w/ transcoding on the fly + transcoding recordings and running post scripts such as commercial skipping), running a NAS, running pfSense, running a couple of minecraft servers, and sometimes number crunching if work clusters are all tied up (imagine F@H, AVX-512 would be super nice). Under a Proxmox LXC container and KVM VM (for pfSense and Windows, unfortunately Matlab/Simulink only runs on windows). Generally server stuff, no GPU.

3. Monitors

0, output via VNC/console only

4. Peripherals

Aforementioned PCIe TV tuner for the DVR.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I have a 9 year old Dell R710, it's loud and hot and power hungry.

Suggested build: (sorry no PCPartPicker, the parts don't show up on there)

CPU: Xeon Silver 4108 ($450)

Mobo: Supermicro X11DAi ($500), there's one that's cheaper for $400 but that only has 8 RAM slots instead of 16, is that worth the step down in cost?

RAM: Pulling a 16GB non-ECC stick from my gaming build (free)

PSU: B-Stock EVGA 850 BQ ($70), there's 2 EPS connectors just for future proofing

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ($100)

Drives: Cheap $20-30 SSD off eBay for the hypervisor (Proxmox), pulling my current array from the R710 (free)

Total: $1150 + tax

The reason I went with the newest architecture instead of Sandy Bridge (also the DP Mobo instead of a UP Mobo) is because this would allow me to drop in upgrade alot of things (RAM/CPU) I have alot of funding now, but maybe not a couple years from now when the upgrade would be more expensive, and I'd be essentially tossing the $500 Sandy Bridge gear (and i wont utilize 32 threads for now anyways). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

6 minutes ago, StackUnderflow said:

Hello,

I'm looking into building a server in my bedroom. I'll answer the questions below and suggest a build:

1. Budget & Location

Approximately $1300ish. In US-West.

2. Aim

Will be a on 24/7 running a few web servers, a few databases, running an always on DVR (w/ transcoding on the fly + transcoding recordings and running post scripts such as commercial skipping), running a NAS, running pfSense, running a couple of minecraft servers, and sometimes number crunching if work clusters are all tied up (imagine F@H, AVX-512 would be super nice). Under a Proxmox LXC container and KVM VM (for pfSense and Windows, unfortunately Matlab/Simulink only runs on windows). Generally server stuff, no GPU.

3. Monitors

0, output via VNC/console only

4. Peripherals

Aforementioned PCIe TV tuner for the DVR.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I have a 9 year old Dell R710, it's loud and hot and power hungry.

Suggested build: (sorry no PCPartPicker, the parts don't show up on there)

CPU: Xeon Silver 4108 ($450)

Mobo: Supermicro X11DAi ($500), there's one that's cheaper for $400 but that only has 8 RAM slots instead of 16, is that worth the step down in cost?

RAM: Pulling a 16GB non-ECC stick from my gaming build (free)

PSU: B-Stock EVGA 850 BQ ($70), there's 2 EPS connectors just for future proofing

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ($100)

Drives: Cheap $20-30 SSD off eBay for the hypervisor (Proxmox), pulling my current array from the R710 (free)

Total: $1150 + tax

The reason I went with the newest architecture instead of Sandy Bridge (also the DP Mobo instead of a UP Mobo) is because this would allow me to drop in upgrade alot of things (RAM/CPU) I have alot of funding now, but maybe not a couple years from now when the upgrade would be more expensive, and I'd be essentially tossing the $500 Sandy Bridge gear (and i wont utilize 32 threads for now anyways). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Are you using one or two processors? Do you intend on using all of the RAM slots? If you use two CPU's you need to use ECC memory.

7 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Are you using one or two processors? Do you intend on using all of the RAM slots? If you use two CPU's you need to use ECC memory.

I intend on only using 1 for now (for at least a year). Next year around this time, I'm anticipating another round of funds, when I can get 1 more CPU and more RAM and a storage upgrade.

Just now, StackUnderflow said:

I intend on only using 1 for now (for at least a year). Next year around this time, I'm anticipating another round of funds, when I can get 1 more CPU and more RAM and a storage upgrade.

It looks good. Just take into consideration that you will need ECC memory when you add the second CPU. 

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

It looks good. Just take into consideration that you will need ECC memory when you add the second CPU. 

OK thanks! I don't know if I'll use all 16 slots or just 8 because I don't know what DDR4 prices are going to be like next year around this time...

Just now, StackUnderflow said:

OK thanks! I don't know if I'll use all 16 slots or just 8 because I don't know what DDR4 prices are going to be like next year around this time...

DDR4 prices have already gone up quite a bit. One stick of 64 GB cost me 570 bucks!

1 minute ago, TheCherryKing said:

DDR4 prices have already gone up quite a bit. One stick of 64 GB cost me 570 bucks!

:o rip

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB