Is the Asus Hyper M.2 x16 Card Vaporware?

I've been debating if I am going to be upgrading to the x299 platform or not. One of the killer features that previously won me over is the prospect of running 6 NVMe drives in RAID 0 off CPU lanes. Currently I am running 3 32Gb Optane modules for my OS/Primary drive, and despite it being even more responsive than my previous 500Gb Evo x2 RAID 0 configuration I want moar! Faster YES! Current speed MEH! Since the announcement of x299 and Skylake-X at Computex earlier this year, I've been faithfully checking the usual sites (asus, newegg, amazon, and Google searches) everyday to see if it is available yet. To my dismay I've yet to find one for sale. Does anybody know if Asus actually plans on offering one for sale? I would love purchase a Rampage VI Apex to make my storage dreams come true. Is this just going to be another case of vaporware? It doesn't seem like this would be a product that Asus would have trouble manufacturing. 

Confidential Unleashed with the simple addition of an ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card, supporting up to four PCIe® 3.0 x4 M.2 driv...

raid 0 improves sustained speeds but normally it craps all over the response time... have to actually measured it or is this a placebo?

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

6 hours ago, CaliforniaF0g said:

I've been debating if I am going to be upgrading to the x299 platform or not. One of the killer features that previously won me over is the prospect of running 6 NVMe drives in RAID 0 off CPU lanes. Currently I am running 3 32Gb Optane modules for my OS/Primary drive, and despite it being even more responsive than my previous 500Gb Evo x2 RAID 0 configuration I want moar! Faster YES! Current speed MEH! Since the announcement of x299 and Skylake-X at Computex earlier this year, I've been faithfully checking the usual sites (asus, newegg, amazon, and Google searches) everyday to see if it is available yet. To my dismay I've yet to find one for sale. Does anybody know if Asus actually plans on offering one for sale? I would love purchase a Rampage VI Apex to make my storage dreams come true. Is this just going to be another case of vaporware? It doesn't seem like this would be a product that Asus would have trouble manufacturing. 

Confidential Unleashed with the simple addition of an ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card, supporting up to four PCIe® 3.0 x4 M.2 driv...

Why would you use optane a single nvme drive would shit all over it.

And what motherboard fits x3 optane drives anyway.

8 minutes ago, redtute said:

For write speeds maybe. For read speeds the 32GB Optane module crushes just about any other drive out there. Especially at low queue depths. It all depends on  what you need for your workload.

15 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

raid 0 improves sustained speeds but normally it craps all over the response time... have to actually measured it or is this a placebo?

I just ran CDM. 3x 32 Gb Optane modules in RAID 0, Samsung 500 Gb 960 Evo off my CPU lanes, and an Intel 600p off the PCH. Here are the results. So you tell me. It looks the Optane module RAID 0 is way more responsive than the other drives, just look at the low queue depths. 

Tweaktown had an interesting set of results with this setup, which is why I choose to run it for myself. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8234/intel-optane-raid-worlds-fastest-system-disk/index.html

9 hours ago, redtute said:

And what motherboard fits x3 optane drives anyway.

My results prove that the Optane RAID 0 array off the PCH on my Asrock Z270 Taichi keep up with the Sammy 960 evo running off my cpu lanes on on most metrics, and exceed it when it comes to 4k reads. Sure the write speed is meh, but that is why I run the Evo as my main storage drive, and it beats the shit out of the Intel 600p. Also note that the Sammy drive and the 600p are nearly empty, while the Optane array that is hosting my OS is 70% full, which puts the array at a disadvantage. 

9 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

For write speeds maybe. For read speeds the 32GB Optane module crushes just about any other drive out there. Especially at low queue depths. It all depends on  what you need for your workload.

This is mostly correct.

So now my real question, Is the Asus Hyper m.2 x16 card vaporware? 

nvmeoptanetests.jpg

39 minutes ago, CaliforniaF0g said:

I just ran CDM. 3x 32 Gb Optane modules in RAID 0, Samsung 500 Gb 960 Evo off my CPU lanes, and an Intel 600p off the PCH. Here are the results. So you tell me. It looks the Optane module RAID 0 is way more responsive than the other drives, just look at the low queue depths. 

Tweaktown had an interesting set of results with this setup, which is why I choose to run it for myself. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8234/intel-optane-raid-worlds-fastest-system-disk/index.html

like i said this is sustained speed. the reason the response time takes a hit is because of the software layer of the raid that takes some processing time. but anyway to answer your question it's probably not vaporware. though i don't think anybody that doesn't have it themselves can tell you what kind of problems it has or if it's just plug and play. are all drives detected automagicaly or will you need some driver which will make the card meaningless outside of OS (can't boot from it). it's just a big fast storage addon for cashing or something.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

like i said this is sustained speed. 

Did you even read the tweaktown link, or are you another dude on the Internet that just likes to parrot stuff he heard without testing the validity of it? 4K QD1 results speaks for themselves, and the tweaktown test setup literally set the world record for system responsiveness. 

2 minutes ago, CaliforniaF0g said:

Did you even read the tweaktown link, or are you another dude on the Internet that just likes to parrot stuff he heard without testing the validity of it? 4K QD1 results speaks for themselves, and the tweaktown test setup literally set the world record for system responsiveness. 

no no i couldn't read it cause i didn't want to bother removing adblocker.

also why i'm a flotplane pilot

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

5 hours ago, CaliforniaF0g said:

My results prove that the Optane RAID 0 array off the PCH on my Asrock Z270 Taichi keep up with the Sammy 960 evo running off my cpu lanes on on most metrics, and exceed it when it comes to 4k reads. Sure the write speed is meh, but that is why I run the Evo as my main storage drive, and it beats the shit out of the Intel 600p. Also note that the Sammy drive and the 600p are nearly empty, while the Optane array that is hosting my OS is 70% full, which puts the array at a disadvantage. 

This is mostly correct.

So now my real question, Is the Asus Hyper m.2 x16 card vaporware? 

nvmeoptanetests.jpg

Wow... I just read the article and realized how much work that is for how little real-world gain you'll actually see...

What workload are you doing that that kind of 4k performance isn't more than good enough for you? Even with the 960 Evo (or just two 960 evos in raid) o.O Especially when you're comparing single drive setups against a 3some of Optane modules >.>

14 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

What workload are you doing that that kind of 4k performance isn't more than good enough for you? E

Seriously does it matter what my workload is? Some of us have money, and like to spend it on building fast PC systems as a hobby. My first build was 486 DX 40, and since then I've enjoyed building computers that are faster than what most people have out of the sheer satisfaction of being able to do it. 

Edited by wkdpaul
cleaned up