BIOS disobeys boot sequence

Go to solution Solved by MadOverclocker,

Ok I think I have a corrupt copy of Bandicoot I think... Everything Works except Bandicoot.

For people that need the solution is this:

Make sure you have USB Key in the Boot sequence. And Keyboardless operation for... Keyboardless operation. 

Hi all! So a few months ago I wanted to make an emulation machine for at least playing NES,SNES and maybe PS1 Games, So last month I remembered that I had a M58p that worked flawlessly. Then I dissasembled the PC, Got a dead Super Slim, Disassembled it, slammed the PC in, BOOM!, I just got my self a decent emulation machine. There was two problem, Cooling and Storage. I used my stock G3258 (Copper) Heatsink, Glued the Heatsink with B7000 glue and some good ol' MX-4.Then, at the back a laptop fan connected to USB (Full speed, It isn't that loud I think) and a Integrated Speaker. But an HDD or SSD would not be an option, I discovered Lakka then installed it on USB, Then running it fro live. The problem is that I have 2 USB, One for games (16GB PNY) and Lakka (8GB Udisk) but, when I exclude everything but the Lakka USB it boots fine the first time but at the second time it dosen't. The PNY USB switches with the Udisk or it says No operating system found. Press F1 to repeat boot sequence. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: System boots fine from boot menu.

Don't remove the USB Thumb drives, go into the Bios. Boot settings, and then make your OS Drive that Main Boot device, and move the game one way down.

If you need help on used parts, contact me. I'm an used enthusiast.

Open the spoiler to see some cool stuff!

Spoiler

My old/new tech Collection!

CPUs (11)

Intel Pentium III @ 733Mhz (Oldest of the Bunch)

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8Ghz (2002)

Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.0Ghz (2003)

AMD Sempron 64 2800+ @ 1.6Ghz (2004, Aug)

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2Ghz (2004, Jun)

2X Intel Xeon X5355 @ 2.66Ghz (2006, Q4)

Intel Pentium E2140 @ 1.6Ghz (2007, Q2)

Intel Xeon E5630 @ 2.53Ghz (2010, Q1)

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3Ghz (2008, Q1) (In use, @ 3.61Ghz)

Intel Pentium E6500 @ 2.93Ghz (2008, Q1)

GPUs (6)

Palit GeForce 6800 GS (Should be working, AGP 8X)

Club 3D GTS 450 (Working, PCI-e 16x)

Sapphire Radeon X800GTO (Working, PCI-e 16x)

Nvidia GeForce 4 (Last time worked, AGP 4X)

Nvidia GeForce FX (No idea, AGP 4X)

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 OC (Semi-dead, PCI-e 16x)

Ram (1)

No idea of the brand or Socket (Whopping 16 Mb memory)

Cables (1)

CrossFire X Cable

5 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Hi all! So a few months ago I wanted to make an emulation machine for at least playing NES,SNES and maybe PS1 Games, So last month I remembered that I had a M58p that worked flawlessly. Then I dissasembled the PC, Got a dead Super Slim, Disassembled it, slammed the PC in, BOOM!, I just got my self a decent emulation machine. There was two problem, Cooling and Storage. I used my stock G3258 (Copper) Heatsink, Glued the Heatsink with B7000 glue and some good ol' MX-4.Then, at the back a laptop fan connected to USB (Full speed, It isn't that loud I think) and a Integrated Speaker. But an HDD or SSD would not be an option, I discovered Lakka then installed it on USB, Then running it fro live. The problem is that I have 2 USB, One for games (16GB PNY) and Lakka (8GB Udisk) but, when I exclude everything but the Lakka USB it boots fine the first time but at the second time it dosen't. The PNY USB switches with the Udisk or it says No operating system found. Press F1 to repeat boot sequence. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: System boots fine from boot menu.

try getting a 32gb usb drive and partition it with lakka as bootable and another for storage.. that way there shouldn't be any booting conflicts..
also, your bios battery might be dead or very low.. i would check/replace that as well

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

Just now, Changis said:

try getting a 32gb usb drive and partition it with lakka as bootable and another for storage.. that way there shouldn't be any booting conflicts..
also, your bios battery might be dead or very low.. i would check/replace that as well

When I tried it with the 16GB drive, the system would not boot. The screen would stay black with that particular USB, Well I can try again to see if it works this time. Also when the lakka USB image is done it says there's another drive (Second partition) do I have to format it like windows says? Like the second partition?

Just now, MadOverclocker said:

When I tried it with the 16GB drive, the system would not boot. The screen would stay black with that particular USB, Well I can try again to see if it works this time. Also when the lakka USB image is done it says there's another drive (Second partition) do I have to format it like windows says? Like the second partition?

i'm not that familliar with lakka, but when i installed retropie on microsd, the installer partitioned part of the card as the OS and the rest was unallcoated, then i could set up the drive in retropie setup..  i would guess this is something fairly standard for linux overall, so prepare the usb for use with lakka as normal and see if there is somewhere in setup to partition the rest of the drive as storage.

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

3 minutes ago, Changis said:

i'm not that familliar with lakka, but when i installed retropie on microsd, the installer partitioned part of the card as the OS and the rest was unallcoated, then i could set up the drive in retropie setup..  i would guess this is something fairly standard for linux overall, so prepare the usb for use with lakka as normal and see if there is somewhere in setup to partition the rest of the drive as storage.

Well Lakka dosen't have a setup for that nor the web page tells about but I will try with the 16GB drive and see if with the unallocated partition goes well, then I will allocate that 2nd partition If everything goes to plan.

15 minutes ago, Changis said:

It still happens (One USB Plugged in only). Maybe the unallocated partition is causing problems? This only affects on cold boot.

1 minute ago, MadOverclocker said:

It still happens (One USB Plugged in only). Maybe the unallocated partition is causing problems? This only affects on cold boot.

unallocated partitions is just unused space, it doesn't interfere with anything..

did you check the bios battery?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

unallocated partitions is just unused space, it doesn't interfere with anything..

Well, all settings are intact but let me change the battery.

10 minutes ago, Changis said:

So I replaced the Battery, now it is giving me a black screen. No options were changed in the BIOS, the PC was plugged in so that it didn't erased the settings. Boot menu won't work too now. What now?

19 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Well, all settings are intact but let me change the battery.

Ok, I replaced the battery, made things worse with a chocking black screen. Added USB KEY to boot menu and now it boots perfectly without use of boot menu. Right now I am going to allocate the second partition and see if it boots.

16 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

Ok, I replaced the battery, made things worse with a chocking black screen. Added USB KEY to boot menu and now it boots perfectly without use of boot menu. Right now I am going to allocate the second partition and see if it boots.

you replaced the battery when the computer was powered on or even just powered? you should always remove power sources before you work on something to avoid any shorts.

also, it could be some settings returned to default, like which gpu to boot etc

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

25 minutes ago, Changis said:

you replaced the battery when the computer was powered on or even just powered? you should always remove power sources before you work on something to avoid any shorts.

also, it could be some settings returned to default, like which gpu to boot etc

No what I meant was connected to power but off.

Now the PC says "Unauthorized CMOS change", then it says F1 Setup if I select nothing it automatically shuts down.

23 minutes ago, MadOverclocker said:

No what I meant was connected to power but off.

Now the PC says "Unauthorized CMOS change", then it says F1 Setup if I select nothing it automatically shuts down.

Ok, now it is fixed (The CMOS change).

Now the POST checks the whole 6GB of RAM that I have instead of skipping it. POST is at Quick and not in enhanced. 

Ok, it seems that I can't create a second partition, since trying to boot says: *** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount: UUID: A bunch of stuff **

1 minute ago, MadOverclocker said:

Ok, it seems that I can't create a second partition, since trying to boot says: *** Error in mount_storage: mount_common: Could not mount: UUID: A bunch of stuff **

Somehow I got to Lakka by tipping "Shutdown" but it is with a lot of black tiles and the controller dosen't work, only Keyboard.

Ok I used both USB's and no problems, seems it was the USB key missing there.

Now, I got Crash Bandicoot but when trying to boot it the Game will crash then send me to the menu. I have the BIOS and the game, Do I have to put he BIOS in the Folder alongside the game?

Ok I think I have a corrupt copy of Bandicoot I think... Everything Works except Bandicoot.

For people that need the solution is this:

Make sure you have USB Key in the Boot sequence. And Keyboardless operation for... Keyboardless operation.