Should we be recommending 2GB cards to people anymore?

S1lentThund3r

So at the moment, its pretty hard to max a graphics card's VRAM when it has 2GB or greater. But is it time that we actually stop telling people to buy 2GB cards in the higher end of the market? Games like Crysis 3 can max out 2GB of VRAM when settings are turned up sufficiently. 

Obviously its only a real bottleneck for cards that can handle the high settings to begin with (the 770/680 for example) but still use this size of VRAM.

Is this bottleneck at the "standard" gaming resolution enough of a reason that we should recommend people purchase a 3GB or greater card when possible to prevent a bottleneck occurring with just about every AAA release from now on?

So at the moment, its pretty hard to max a graphics card's VRAM when it has 2GB or greater. But is it time that we actually stop telling people to buy 2GB cards in the higher end of the market? Games like Crysis 3 can max out 2GB of VRAM when settings are turned up sufficiently. 

Obviously its only a real bottleneck for cards that can handle the high settings to begin with (the 770/680 for example) but still use this size of VRAM.

Is this bottleneck at the "standard" gaming resolution enough of a reason that we should recommend people purchase a 3GB or greater card when possible to prevent a bottleneck occurring with just about every AAA release from now on?

My card with 1GB lags bad when I have a game and CS6 open sometimes depending on optimizations. I don't see why not. Better to have more vram than you need then not enough.

i would say so..

i try not to recommend anybody anything under the 7950 series.. even then i would only just recommend a 760 for 1080p single monitor..

this seems to be the price point for performance 

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

On the high end, No.

1080p gaming at ultra should really be asking for 3Gb, I've had Crysis 3 asking for 2940 odd mb of vram at 1080p.

For mid end cards that aren't going to max games out anyway then 2Gb is fine

OKay but thats crysis 3, not all games are crysis 3. I think 2gb is fine for 1080p, much more than that then no but for 1080p its fine. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

OKay but thats crysis 3, not all games are crysis 3. I think 2gb is fine for 1080p, much more than that then no but for 1080p its fine. 

We're using it as an example of something that can easily do it. I'm more thinking of the future here, the fact that more games will come out with Crysis 3 level of requirements. 

I think 2GB is fine for mid-range cards. 2GB should really be the minimum anyone ones gets for a video card, we should be stopping people from getting 1GB cards.

Yeah granted, But it's not going to be long at all until cards games are using over 2gb of frame buffer if some games are already doing so. Keep in mind some modded games like skyrim and gta iv can ask for a huge amount of vram once you install texture mods.

Oh, i know that all to well. I thought we were talking for right now, for the future i agree.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

2gb for 1080p, 3 or 4gb for over that. The main thing is that half the cards people ask if they should get the 4gb variant for will become the bottleneck before the vram is. 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

honestly i dont think anyone should be buying 2gig cards anymore for high end gaming. Vram is really starting to use 2gb on modern games even at 1080p. thats actually the deciding factor on my choice between the 280x vs the 770.