Dell Precision M4600 mod

Hello everyone, this is my first topic post, so I don't know if I'm doing this right, so just help me out here! :P

Ok, to the point, I recently purchased a Dell Precision M4600 (workstation laptop) for 90$ USD on eBay. I bought this so that I could have a cool looking PC, but that will require some modding. Anyways, I am going to use this laptop as a streaming PC, but the current specs are as follows: i5-2520M, 2x2GB DDR3 1333 (1 is 1600 downclocked to 1333), FirePro M5950 (overclocked to 900 MHz core/ 1000 MHz memory), 1 Hitachi 160GB HDD with a 120GB partition for OS, a Intel 7260 802.11ac wifi card, a 802.11n wifi card, a 802.11g wifi card (yes I have three wifi cards currently installed), and a 1366x768 display. I plan on upgrading the parts to as follows: i7-29x0XM, Patriot Viper 2x8GB 1600 MHz CAS 9, FirePro M5100, 1x Samsung 850 Evo 120GB mSATA SSD, 1x PNY CS2211 480GB 2.5" SSD, 1 Intel 7260 802.11ac wifi card (already acquired), 1 Intel 8260 802.11ac wifi card (not acquired), a 1920x1080 replacement monitor, a fingerprint reader, LED backlit keyboard if it is an option, and IC Diamond for the thermal compound. With those specs, I plan to add some see through panels on the back cover, so that it can look pretty cool (yes, it sounds dumb, but I have modded computers in the past, so I do have experience). I also plan to add RGB lighting so that it can be seen through the see-through panels. Would there be any reasons not to add those see-through panels or the RGB? If so, please let me know! Also, I plan on overclocking the 29x0XM to ~4 GHz if possible, and will swap the fans for more powerful fans if necessary. If by reading this, would you recommend me to use this laptop as a streaming PC? Please let me know! Thanks!

It's your baby, would say do whatever you think would be cool.  Depending on where the panels are, it may show nothing interesting.  Could make the panels opaque to just add diffuse color to the machine instead of illuminating components.

I'm guessing you would use this for streaming video?  Would probably not be the best at gaming while streaming.  Or would you use it as a secondary capture machine?  I would say it depends on what and the quality you want to stream.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:21 PM, haft2doit said:

It's your baby, would say do whatever you think would be cool.  Depending on where the panels are, it may show nothing interesting.  Could make the panels opaque to just add diffuse color to the machine instead of illuminating components.

I'm guessing you would use this for streaming video?  Would probably not be the best at gaming while streaming.  Or would you use it as a secondary capture machine?  I would say it depends on what and the quality you want to stream.

I have a laptop that I will be gaming on (ASUS G752VL w/ i7-6700HQ undervolted and GTX 965M unlocked and overclocked to 1253 MHz core/ 1425 MHz memory), and I plan on using the Dell as a capture machine. I plan on streaming at 1080p60, and I think I will get a capture card in the near future.

I don't have experience streaming, but if you were using it for streaming from another machine I don't see why it wouldn't be up to the task.  Assuming you can get all those upgrades working. :)  You could document the process and make a post if all goes well.

On 8/30/2017 at 0:31 AM, haft2doit said:

I don't have experience streaming, but if you were using it for streaming from another machine I don't see why it wouldn't be up to the task.  Assuming you can get all those upgrades working. :)  You could document the process and make a post if all goes well.

Ok, thanks! I think I will make a YT vid in the near future!