Thoughts on Digital Copy + UV

ionbasa

I myself have Netflix although the wait time for new movies can be quite annoying, especially when new movies are released on Blu ray, but I cant watch them. But aparently there is now a solution! I know this isn't new tech, but was wondering what the tech community though about it?

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Copy-DVD/b?ie=UTF8&node=721726011

and

http://www.uvvu.com/

What are your thoughts? Many digital movies on Amazon are selling for under $10 which would be a "deal" in my opinion given that you can share the movie with up to 5 devices all from the cloud, and you can download a hard copy to keep locally. My family has a media server and this would be particularly useful if the hard copy could be streamed local in our house to our htpc.

My main reason for making this thread is to see what people think about this degrading piracy, I know most people tend to be "hush hush" about this stuff but, what are your thoughts? Does it give less reason to pirate?

Also, mayI use your responses in a paper I have to write for my Computer Science class?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I myself have Netflix although the wait time for new movies can be quite annoying, especially when new movies are released on Blu ray, but I cant watch them. But aparently there is now a solution! I know this isn't new tech, but was wondering what the tech community though about it?

-snip-

What are your thoughts? Many digital movies on Amazon are selling for under $10 which would be a "deal" in my opinion given that you can share the movie with up to 5 devices all from the cloud, and you can download a hard copy to keep locally. My family has a media server and this would be particularly useful if the hard copy could be streamed local in our house to our htpc.

My main reason for making this thread is to see what people think about this degrading piracy, I know most people tend to be "hush hush" about this stuff but, what are your thoughts? Does it give less reason to pirate?

Also, mayI use your responses in a paper I have to write for my Computer Science class?

I doubt it. I'll always pirate movies games and music. Then support the ones I enjoy. That's how I and a lot of other people view it. Tons of people are trying to launch a cloud project, my perspective is, I never watch a movie more then twice at most three times, and it's not worth the hassle to bother setting it up. I'm a college student like you as you know, I don't find myself sitting around watching movies in my free time. I only game and study or watch anime. I think cloud storage will be bigger when their is more global wifi with stronger connection speeds. & Sure feel free to use my reply, i'm not sure if I cursed in it but you might wanna take it out if i did :)

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My answers;

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

You see, the problem with piracy is that;

1. Not everything is available to us 100% when we want it(different countries, policies, not just DRM issues). I want the ability to watch sports on my computer, will UltraViolet solve this? Nope. I doubt even someone from China that has restricted Internet because of their government would be able to use this.

2. People want offline media. If I go buy a movie, I shouldn't have to connect to the Internet to watch it. I want to be able to watch it on my smartphone, tablet, or TV just by saving it to the device(or USB). Using the cloud can make it more convenient, but even though I have a smartphone, I don't have a data plan, thus I do not have Internet when I'm outside my house, so UV is useless to me. Same goes for tablets. TV's are stationary, so this argument doesn't pertain to it.

3. Programs, movies, TV, games, etc. Are all expensive to some, and cheap to others. In the EU, games are anywhere from 1%-50% more expensive compared to U.S., same for South America.

I know that Amazon allows you to have a local copy, but if I buy something, I expect to be able to do whatever I want with it, no matter what, even if it's against the law. I should be able to create a HTPC and have the ability to rip all my DVD's and Blu-Rays without hassle and watch them. However, if I use a service like Netflix then I understand that I need to be connected to the "cloud"(hate this term). Overall, this won't solve piracy, it'll decrease it a small amount, but it won't solve it.

In the EU, games are anywhere from 1%-50% more expensive compared to U.S., same for South America.

Yeah...

Stop bloating nonsense, and reason to contribute in a constructive manner.

No NO and heck yeah I wanna be in that fancy school learning thing.

So basically the issue here is that people that pirate have NO money most of the time and just wanna play some games and or watch a few movies without paying for it as they are saving up for better equipment. So they get used to pirating and the next thing they know is that they have 0 games in their library with a company at the door demanding money. 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point