Best Way of Extending USB Cable By ~20 Meters

hihihi8

Hi guys, i know this topic has been covered quite a lot, and i'm sorry for making yet another post, but a lot of the posts just don't seem to lead to anything conclusive. I would like to use an HDMI/DP extension along with USB extension for my Logitech G27 steering wheel set so that I can practice driving on my large screen TV (Which happens to be downstairs). My only PC capable of running the games/apps at good ssettings is upstairs, and is watercooled (the one in my signature), and thus can't be moved (weighs at least 30kg). I've read of various ways of extending USB reach, but haven't found anything conclusive on the best way to do so. I'm looking for a solution thats simple, and doesn't introduce much lag/latency.

So far, I've seen these methods:

1. Daisy Chained USB Hubs with phantom power (ish)

2. USB Extension Cables with Inbuilt Repeaters

3. USB to Ethernet Converters (One on each end)

4. Optical Fibre USB solutions (Super Costly)

5. Raw USB extension chord (no repeater)

Which of these solutions would be most suitable for my needs? Optic-Fibre is a definite no-no, 200 USD for a usb cable? nay. How much latency would the USB-with-Repeater solution add? And how much would that be in comparison with, say, the USB-Ethernet solution? I've read in other posts that the daisy chained USB hubs sometimes lead to bugs, such as timing errors and device reconnects, etc. 

Some input would be nice, thanks. (EDIT: Lol, no pun intended)

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

Try something like this, minimal quality of signal loss because only one extension. It's also 2.0 which will have enough bandwidth and power pass-through for your usage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-USB-2-0-5M-10M-15M-20M-USB-Extension-Cable-Male-To-Female-Extension-Line/32767458325.html

EDIT: lol nevermind, sorry

1 minute ago, Tartanskittles said:

The maximum USB 2 length is 5m.

Just now, Xdrone said:

Try something like this, minimal quality of signal loss because only one extension. It's also 2.0 which will have enough bandwidth and power pass-through for your usage.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-USB-2-0-5M-10M-15M-20M-USB-Extension-Cable-Male-To-Female-Extension-Line/32767458325.html

The maximum USB 2 length is 5m.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.7GHz - GPU: Asus 1080 Ti STRIX - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz - MB: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 2x140mm AIO - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - Case: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass - Monitor: LG - 34UM88C 34.0" 3440x1440 KEYBOARD: Leopold FC660M ISO (MX blues) & Tai Hao Cement/Lavender keycaps

16 minutes ago, hihihi8 said:

Hi guys, i know this topic has been covered quite a lot, and i'm sorry for making yet another post, but a lot of the posts just don't seem to lead to anything conclusive. I would like to use an HDMI/DP extension along with USB extension for my Logitech G27 steering wheel set so that I can practice driving on my large screen TV (Which happens to be downstairs). My only PC capable of running the games/apps at good ssettings is upstairs, and is watercooled (the one in my signature), and thus can't be moved (weighs at least 30kg). I've read of various ways of extending USB reach, but haven't found anything conclusive on the best way to do so. I'm looking for a solution thats simple, and doesn't introduce much lag/latency.

So far, I've seen these methods:

1. Daisy Chained USB Hubs with phantom power (ish)

2. USB Extension Cables with Inbuilt Repeaters

3. USB to Ethernet Converters (One on each end)

4. Optical Fibre USB solutions (Super Costly)

5. Raw USB extension chord (no repeater)

Which of these solutions would be most suitable for my needs? Optic-Fibre is a definite no-no, 200 USD for a usb cable? nay. How much latency would the USB-with-Repeater solution add? And how much would that be in comparison with, say, the USB-Ethernet solution? I've read in other posts that the daisy chained USB hubs sometimes lead to bugs, such as timing errors and device reconnects, etc. 

Some input would be nice, thanks.

1. Daisy Chained USB Hubs with phantom power (ish) (Not familiar with this one)

2. USB Extension Cables with Inbuilt Repeaters (I got it this way, I don't notice any latency)

3. USB to Ethernet Converters (One on each end) (Not familiar with this one)

4. Optical Fibre USB solutions (Super Costly) (Your choice, very expensive)

5. Raw USB extension chord (no repeater) (does this work with 3.0)

25 minutes ago, AntonDVries said:

5. Raw USB extension chord (no repeater) (does this work with 3.0)

No, USB3 is only really supported for lengths up to 3m. 

There's ways to get around those limitations though, and the OP will need to resort to those.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

The big question will be the added latency indeed.  I'm afraid I can't answer that. 

36 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

No, USB3 is only really supported for lengths up to 3m. 

There's ways to get around those limitations though, and the OP will need to resort to those.

http://www.yourcablestore.com/USB-Cable-Length-Limitations-And-How-To-Break-Them_ep_42-1.html

The big question will be the added latency indeed.  I'm afraid I can't answer that. 

I got myself a extension cord USB3.0 about 10 meters (30ft) and I cant see any latency

thanks for the input peeps, I think i'll give options 2 and 3 a try, since they're the most readily available. If there are issues with these methods, i'll let you guys (and whoever else that has the same needs) know.

Cheers,

Sam

PC 0: Pinky 2.0

Ryzen 9 5950x — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 5 @3600Mhz CL14-13-13-28-288 — ROG Crosshair 8 Dark Hero — RX 6900 XT — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2TB — Samsung PM961 1TB  WD Blue 4TB HDD — Corsair AX1500i — Thermaltake Core P5 

PC 1: Pinky (Yes that is her name) Here's the build

Xeon E5-1680V3 — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Samsung 950Pro 512GB — Seagate 2TB HDD — Corsair RM1000 — Thermaltake Core P5

PC 1.1: Pinky (Mom Edition) Here's the build

i7-5960X — 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 @2400Mhz — MSi X99A Godlike Gaming — GTX 980Ti SLI (2-WAY) — Hardline Loop — Sabrent Rocket 3 1TB — Samsung Q 870 Evo 4TB — Corsair HX850i — InWin S-Frame #190

PC 2: Red Box/Scarlet Overkill (Dual Xeon)

Xeon E5-2687W x2 — 96GB Kingston DDR3 ECC REG @1333Mhz — EVGA Classified SR-X Dual CPU — GTX 1070 SLI (2-WAY) —Hardline Loop — Samsung 750 EVO 256GB — Seagate 2TB 2.5" HDD x3 — Self-Built Case

• 4 years later...
On 8/26/2017 at 3:23 AM, hihihi8 said:

thanks for the input peeps, I think i'll give options 2 and 3 a try, since they're the most readily available. If there are issues with these methods, i'll let you guys (and whoever else that has the same needs) know.

Cheers,

Sam

what options worked for you? im trying to get my logitech steering wheel g920 to work on a monitor across the room about 20ft or so. What is the best option that provides little to no latency at all and works ? ive been searching everywhere and related to your post a lot, let me know whats best, thanks!