Dual CPU water cooling block : is it possible?

Go to solution Solved by Denned,

Like the Noctua you only have the base touch the CPU. And the base is what transfers the heat. But unlike aircooling it isn't cooled more by having more surface area (on the CPU block it self.) It's dissapating more heat, by having higher waterflow.

The two fin towers could only really be compared to having more or larger radiators.

Hi guys! I'm just curious about this. We know that manufacturers has developed air cooling solutions for CPUs using dual cooling fins which provide great cooling capacities but I wonder why there is no dual water cooling blocks?

Thanks for answering guys.

well you can always get two waterblocks and connected them

What do you mean with double cooling fins?

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

4 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

What do you mean with double cooling fins?

I mean a heatsink like the noctua nh-d15

11 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

well you can always get two waterblocks and connected them

How can i do that? 

2 minutes ago, Jerome0226 said:

How can i do that? 

Output of the first CPU block goes to the input of the second CPU block. Output either goes to your GPU if applicable and then back to your pump. Pretty easy stuff if you've done watercooling. I may not have but I've seen that done.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Output of the first CPU block goes to the input of the second CPU block. Output either goes to your GPU if applicable and then back to your pump. Pretty easy stuff if you've done watercooling. I may not have but I've seen that done.

I think I missed a little detail to my question..I mean dual water cooling blocks cooling only 1 processor/cpu 

I suspect that the OP isn't talking about dual CPUs, rather about how some air coolers have dual fin arrays to increase cooling capacity. 

noctua-nh-d14-withoutfan.jpg.22fe93028e2377060cce0b26792399f4.jpg

While I know the answer to that (the radiator being the part that actually cools the loop as opposed to the water block), I'm not sure how to begin explaining in English why that wouldn't work.

4 minutes ago, Jerome0226 said:

How can i do that? 

As a suggestion: Since there is one tube coming out of each waterblock, you could connect them together to another tube that provides water to both waterblocks that could go to your gpu and then back to the res.

the reason nobody is doing this is because it makes absolutely no sense.

as long as you have a good heat transfer in the block itself there is no benefit to adding more surface area.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I suspect that the OP isn't talking about dual CPUs, rather about how some air coolers have dual fin arrays to increase cooling capacity. 

While I know the answer to that, I'm not sure how to begin explaining in English why that wouldn't work

I think it will improve cooling the cpu, since the cooler is bigger and can dissipate more heat from the cpu. I dont think a dual waterblock would be possible because it wouldnt fit on the motherboard and it would most likely block your ram.

1 minute ago, Captain Chaos said:

While I know the answer to that, I'm not sure how to begin explaining in English why that wouldn't work

2 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

as long as you have a good heat transfer in the block itself there is no benefit to adding more surface area.

But more surface area can give better cooling while you are overclocking right? 

Like the Noctua you only have the base touch the CPU. And the base is what transfers the heat. But unlike aircooling it isn't cooled more by having more surface area (on the CPU block it self.) It's dissapating more heat, by having higher waterflow.

The two fin towers could only really be compared to having more or larger radiators.

It is actually a quite good idea. Have a air cooler setup but then run water through it so you have both.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

I think it will improve cooling the cpu, since the cooler is bigger and can dissipate more heat from the cpu. I dont think a dual waterblock would be possible because it wouldnt fit on the motherboard and it would most likely block your ram.

So it is possible? Just the physical size of it is the only limiting factor?

3 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

I agree, there is no benefit to adding more surface area because it wouldnt even fit on the motherboard and it could block other components such as your ram. Yes, it would provide better cooling and dissipate more heat from cpu, but the unnecessary surface area would just take up too much space on the mothermoard.

But more surface area can give better cooling while you are overclocking right? 

in theory yes but once there is enough surface area for good cooling you will have diminishing returns, the main factor for cooling once the surface area is big enough it the temperature difference of your cooling liquid vs the cooling block temperature.

the higher the difference the better the cooling so cooling down the liquid has a much greater effect then increasing the surface area even more.

So it is possible? Just the physical size of it is the only limiting factor?

If you had the time and effort to make modifications to your huge cpu cooler that takes up so much surface area.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

in theory yes but once there is enough surface area for good cooling you will have diminishing returns, the main factor for cooling once the surface area is big enough it the temperature difference of your cooling liquid vs the cooling block temperature.

the higher the difference the better the cooling so cooling down the liquid has a much greater effect then increasing the surface area even more.

So you mean to say if the surface area is more than enough then it will reach a point where the cooling liquid has higher temps than the cpu it cools? Am i getting this right?

3 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

If you had the time and effort to make modifications to your huge cpu cooler that takes up so much surface area.

I'll try it someday once my warranty for my heatsink expires haha 

Just now, Jerome0226 said:

I'll try it someday once my warranty for my heatsink expires haha 

You will certainly damage the motherboard by making modifications to fit the cooler anyway. Unless you use some kind of ziptie mechanism that pulls the heatsink onto the motherboard with a different bracket mount.

7 minutes ago, Jerome0226 said:

So you mean to say if the surface area is more than enough then it will reach a point where the cooling liquid has higher temps than the cpu it cools? Am i getting this right?

no, the maximum temperature of the cooling liquid is the temperature of the surface it is cooling.

heat transfer only works if there is a temperature difference between the heat source and the cooling liquid together with the surface area the heat is transferred on.

so now you have a surface area that already provides good heat transfer on normal temperatures but you want to get it even colder.

increasing surface area even more will make some difference but not by much, the thing that makes a much bigger difference is having a much cooler cooling liquid because then the temperature difference between the heat source and the liquid is bigger so the heat transfer is more efficient.

5 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

no, the maximum temperature of the cooling liquid is the temperature of the surface it is cooling.

heat transfer only works if there is a temperature difference between the heat source and the cooling liquid together with the surface area the heat is transferred on.

so now you have a surface area that already provides good heat transfer on normal temperatures but you want to get it even colder.

increasing surface area even more will make some difference but not by much, the thing that makes a much bigger difference is having a much cooler cooling liquid because then the temperature difference between the heat source and the liquid is bigger so the heat transfer is more efficient.

Oh i get it now. There is no need to develop such a thing because you can get the same result by installing a pump with more waterflow or a bigger radiator..thanks for answering :)

17 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

You will certainly damage the motherboard by making modifications to fit the cooler anyway. Unless you use some kind of ziptie mechanism that pulls the heatsink onto the motherboard with a different bracket mount.

Maybe i can do some 3d printing for the mounting mechanism hehe