How to control non pwm fans?

8-Bit Ninja

Attempting to quieten my media pc, and was wandering what method i could use to reduce the rpm of my case fans, the motherboard has pwm headers. 

What motherboard do you have and what fans are you trying to control?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard do you have and what fans are you trying to control?

motherboard is an asus a88xm-plus, as for the fans, 2 fractal design ones that came with the case 

2 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

motherboard is an asus a88xm-plus, as for the fans, 2 fractal design ones that came with the case 

Only the cpu_fan header supports 4pin pwm. You can use the cha_fan headers to control your case fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Only the cpu_fan header supports 4pin pwm. You can use the cha_fan headers to control your case fans.

I assumed if its a 4pin header its pwm?

3 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Yes, but 4-pin headers can also switch into DC mode (99% of the time it's supported) and not use the 4th pin

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

27 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Attempting to quieten my media pc, and was wandering what method i could use to reduce the rpm of my case fans, the motherboard has pwm headers. 

PWM fans are always the 4 pin, as it needs 1 pin for ground, 1 pin for the +12v, 1 pin for RPM reporting and the 4th pin for the PWM signal. 3 pin fans use the same except they omit the 4th PWM signal, instead they control their speed by reducing the +12v rail directly. It is not as accurate but really it does the same thing. A 4 pin header can controll both types and it's unusual to find a PWM fan that can't be controlled by voltage, you just need software to interface with the board. Use AI suite, I think version 3 will work for that board, and select from one of the 4 default profiles. 

Yours faithfully

24 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Not necessarily. Fan headers can be wired differently depending on the motherboard. This info can be found in the motherboard manual.