Recommendations wanted: New uATX Build

jam08060

I'm thinking about putting together a new uATX system and am looking for some feedback on the parts I have in mind so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2co5A

You may have already noticed that memory and a power supply are missing from the parts list I had in mind.

Any recommendations regarding filling these two missing slots?

• Memory (16 GB, 1600MHz 9CAS or better, preferrably matches color scheme of build.)
  • Power Supply (Silent, 750-850 Watts, ***NO COIL WHINE***, 80% Silver or better)

Also, I was wondering whether or not it would be better to go with something like a Fiio E10, or the soundcard I have listed, or both?

And finally, would it be better to wait for the 6GB version of the 780ti, an after-market version of the 780 ti, or just an aftermarket 780?

I am a developer and will be mainly using this rig for programming and gaming here and there.  I will be most likely gaming on a single 2560x1440 monitor with probably a single auxiliary monitor.

Any recommendations regarding any of the questions I have asked here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention that silence and reliability are the most important factors to me when building this rig.

The 780 Ti is a bad value. 

It'd be good to wait for aftermarket 290's or just get a 780 instead if possible. 

Are you planning to add a second gpu later down the line?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm thinking about putting together a new uATX system and am looking for some feedback on the parts I have in mind so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2co5A

You may have already noticed that memory and a power supply are missing from the parts list I had in mind.

Any recommendations regarding filling these two missing slots would be greatly appreciated:

• Memory (16 GB, 1600MHz 9CAS or better, preferrably matches color scheme of build.)
  • Power Supply (Silent, 750-850 Watts, ***NO COIL WHINE***, 80% Silver or better)

Also, I was wondering whether or not it would be better to go with something like a Fiio E10, or the soundcard I have listed, or both?

And finally, would it be better to wait for the 6GB version of the 780ti, an after-market version of the 780 ti, or just an aftermarket 780?

I am a developer and will be mainly using this rig for programming and gaming here and there.  I will be most likely gaming on a single 2560x1440 monitor with probably a single auxiliary monitor.

Any recommendations regarding any of the questions I have asked here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What are you going to be using this for?

It'd be good to wait for aftermarket 290's or just get a 780 instead if possible. 

I'm unsure right now, being that the largest restriction of this overall build is that it would be in a uATX form factor, then chances are probably not.  However, that also depends whether or not I decide to include an internal soundcard in the final build.

I had my eye on the ASUS DCU2 780 because of the shape of the air cooler on it... and had ideas of removing it and painting it to fit a different color scheme...

He could add a aftermarket cooler like a Artic Cooling one.

What are you going to be using this for?

Programming and some gaming.

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ NCIX US) 

CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 

Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($162.99 @ Amazon) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.99 @ B&H) 

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ NCIX US) 

Sound Card:  Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 

Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Microcenter) 

Case Fan:  Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ NCIX US) 

Power Supply:  Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Microcenter) 

Total: $1950.86

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 22:18 EST-0500)

Just answered what you wanted. Budget? OS? Peripherals? Location?

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

I lol'd @ ur avatar... thats fantastic

CPU:  Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler:  Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.99 @ NCIX US) 
Motherboard:  Asus GRYPHON Z87 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($162.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($149.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card  ($699.99 @ NCIX US) 
Sound Card:  Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Microcenter) 
Power Supply:  Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($109.99 @ Microcenter) 
Total: $1950.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 22:18 EST-0500)

Just answered what you wanted. Budget? OS? Peripherals? Location?

Budget probably would be under 2,000.

I will be using multiple operating systems most likely, unsure at this point which rout I want to go here.

I also am pretty set with peripherals right now, only really concerned with the tower.

Also, I'm in the USA.

I'm unsure right now, being that the largest restriction of this overall build is that it would be in a uATX form factor, then chances are probably not.  However, that also depends whether or not I decide to include an internal soundcard in the final build.

I had my eye on the ASUS DCU2 780 because of the shape of the air cooler on it... and had ideas of removing it and painting it to fit a different color scheme...

Is there a certain color scheme you're shooting for?

Or a Kraken G10. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is there a certain color scheme you're shooting for?

Or a Kraken G10. 

I was thinking that I'd like to stealth everything except for the noctua stuff so kinda black on black with noctua fans and a cpu cooler so they stand out pretty well.

I was thinking that I'd like to stealth everything except for the noctua stuff so kinda black on black with noctua fans and a cpu cooler so they stand out pretty well.

In that case, my recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cpzE

Remove the stock case fans. 120mm for rear exhaust. 140mm's for front intake.

In that case, my recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2cpzE

Remove the stock case fans. 120mm for rear exhaust. 140mm's for front intake.

Hmmm, I like the idea for the 140mm fans in the front, I completely forgot the 350D had support for them.  However, I was thinking about using pressure optimized fans to maintain positive air pressure inside the case.

Does noctua have 140mm pressure optimized fans? or does this not even matter to maintain positive air pressure?

Also, I am probably going to stick with the 4770K for multitasking performance and due to some of the programs I'll be dealing that do require a fair amount of client side computing and can many times be multi-threaded.

Hmmm, I like the idea for the 140mm fans in the front, I completely forgot the 350D had support for them.  However, I was thinking about using pressure optimized fans to maintain positive air pressure inside the case.

Also, I am probably going to stick with the 4770K for multitasking performance and due to some of the programs I'll be dealing that do require a fair amount of client side computing and can many times be multi-threaded.

Having 2 intakes and 1 rear exhaust will already do that. 

What programs do you use?

Having 2 intakes and 1 rear exhaust will already do that. 

What programs do you use?

I was referring to the ones I write myself.

I was referring to the ones I write myself.

Oh alright then. The 4770k sounds good.

Oh alright then. The 4770k sounds good.

Would it be a good idea to then cover up the mesh in the top of the case with sound dampening foam maybe?

I was on the edge with having fans up there anyway because I figured they would cause some turbulence.

Would it be a good idea to then cover up the mesh in the top of the case with sound dampening foam maybe?

I was on the edge with having fans up there anyway because I figured they would cause some turbulence.

You've got the right idea.