USB Keyboard and Mouse not working outside of Bios.

Go to solution Solved by ebolasupermonky,

I recently started having this issue as well. Keyboard won't work outside of BIOS, mouse stops working a few seconds after being plugged in. Not sure  if you're also getting a code 19 error when trying to update the driver, but it was telling me the driver was faulty. 

I got the mouse working by uninstalling everything under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and plugging in the mouse again, it reinstalled correctly and works fine.

Turns out Avast stuck something in the registry file, and after uninstalling Avast and removing the rouge file from the registry DM shows the keyboard as working properly, except it still doesn't work (the multimedia buttons work fine though, surprisingly). If anyone has any insight I'd be grateful.

I installed Avast antivirus on my Windows 10 pc. After the install, my usb keyboard wouldn't work. I tried plugging it into every one of my usb 3.0 ports and it didn't work in any of them. Tried it in the usb 1.0 ports and it still doesn't work. Windows Defender detected that there was a problem with the keyboard and prompted me to update the drivers. Drivers were updated. I read on a separate forum that Avast has a bug that renders usb keyboards useless. Well, I uninstalled Avast and now neither my keyboard or mouse will work outside of Bios. Can I do a system restore from Bios? Or am I just screwed?

If you have a ps2 keyboard and mouse or know someone who does that would let you borrow them you could always do that and reset windows the normal way.

5 minutes ago, giliagmon said:

If you have a ps2 keyboard and mouse or know someone who does that would let you borrow them you could always do that and reset windows the normal way.

I don't. Surprisingly my Wacom Intuos usb drawing tablet worked and I was able to reset windows by using it and the on screen keyboard. 

I recently started having this issue as well. Keyboard won't work outside of BIOS, mouse stops working a few seconds after being plugged in. Not sure  if you're also getting a code 19 error when trying to update the driver, but it was telling me the driver was faulty. 

I got the mouse working by uninstalling everything under Human Interface Devices in Device Manager and plugging in the mouse again, it reinstalled correctly and works fine.

Turns out Avast stuck something in the registry file, and after uninstalling Avast and removing the rouge file from the registry DM shows the keyboard as working properly, except it still doesn't work (the multimedia buttons work fine though, surprisingly). If anyone has any insight I'd be grateful.