is it bad to touch a pcie slot?

this is a weird question but i opened my case and i touched my pcie slot because i was measuring to see if i would have enough room and the end of my measuring tape got stock on the slot for a sec and i slightly pushed the pcie slot and touched it and i am wondering if that is bad or is it fine and ok to install a new gpu

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

Did you physically break anything?

You're fine to install a GPU in it..

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

If you're not grounded, yes. Otherwise, why would it be?

i over think and worry about things to much sometimes, but thanks :)

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

its bad if the computer is on

otherwise its ok

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's incredibly hazardous to your health. PCIe slots are extremely carcinogenic since they are comprised of solid benzene, and contact with PCIe slots is a leading cause of cancer worldwide.

For more information on the hazards of PCIe slots, go to www.justincaseyouthinkimserious.imnot.com

It's incredibly hazardous to your health. PCIe slots are extremely carcinogenic since they are comprised of solid benzene, and contact with PCIe slots is a leading cause of cancer worldwide.

For more information on the hazards of PCIe slots, go to www.justincaseyouthinkimserious.imnot.com

Wow, then Linus must have loads of cancer from touching the gold contact points on GPU's all day!

its bad if the computer is on

otherwise its ok

it was on how bad is it

If you're not grounded, yes. Otherwise, why would it be?

my computer was on is it bad

it was on how bad is it

if any damage was done, you would notice a problem immediately, such as no image, or a BSOD

if you turn on your computer and nothing bad happens, it probably means its ok

so dont worry to much about it, because it either works, or it doesnt

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if any damage was done, you would notice a problem immediately, such as no image, or a BSOD

if you turn on your computer and nothing bad happens, it probably means its ok

so dont worry to much about it, because it either works, or it doesnt

Nothing bad happened my computer just lost connection to the internet I don't know what that has to do with anything but I restarted my computer and nothing is wrong and thanks :)

don't mind it if you are grounded :D

Even if the PC is on, it should still work fine because the contact pads are hidden inside and not exposed, unless you really sticked your finger in there, then that's another story ;)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

don't mind it if you are grounded :D

Even if the PC is on, it should still work fine because the contact pads are hidden inside and not exposed, unless you really sticked your finger in there, then that's another story ;)

i just touched it and pushed it down with very very little force, also define what you mean by that(meaning where are the contact pads in the pcie slot)

As long as the gpu that you put into that PCI-E slot is working and your NIC is still working, its fine.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

i just touched it and pushed it down with very very little force, also define what you mean by that(meaning where are the contact pads in the pcie slot)

you know that shiny gold plated metal pads on video cards that you put inside the slot? it contacts another set of those inside the pci-e slot which connects it and makes it work :D

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

why touch when you can lick :D 

Character artist in the Games industry.

you know that shiny gold plated metal pads on video cards that you put inside the slot? it contacts another set of those inside the pci-e slot which connects it and makes it work :D

oh ok thanks

why touch when you can lick :D

do you mean its safe enough to lick(im not going to)

yes it will definitly kill you

no but seriously if you are grounded nothing will happen