Computer unbearably slow for no obvious reason

Before I start, I know my computer isn't exactly new and supposed to be quick, but it should be way faster than it is now and it used to be fine. Specs:
Intel G41 Express chipset
Intel Pentium E5200 clocked at 2.5ghz
One stick of 2GB DDR2 RAM 400mHz
NVidia Geforce GT610
This was a prebuilt office lenovo computer, since I got it for free, I've added a gpu, and changed the hard drive as i thought it was the issue for the lag, which was not.
The computer actually runs gta iv even though its a crappily optimized game (the fps is stable but it stutters sometimes, cpu?) but when I'm web browsing or just doing non gaming stuff it freezes, lags, way more than it was before, and I have no idea what could be the reason. This started sometime after I added the new GPU and I thought the PSU was bottlenecking it all because of the additional components, but I was wrong, I found out it's not possible. Any help would be appreciated, by the way I'm 14 and not exactly flooded with money so I can't afford a whole new system I just want to optimize this one.

could be the extra stuff that installed with the nvidia drivers........ try uninstalling and doing a custom install and only install the graphics driver. nothing else.

you can open the device manager and look to see how many sound drivers you have installed and disable or uninstall what you are not using.

run malwarebytes. might have malware running.

run ccleaner. you might have an over abundance of cookies. this app will clean them out.

turn off windows auto updates and windows auto drive updates. ( two different things )

Ditch the GPU, install a lightweight linux distro like Lubuntu and use it as a web browsing machine or for word processing as that is all it will really be capable of. Try to upgrade to faster RAM if it's compatible, otherwise that is a huge factor in what's weighing your performance down.

9 minutes ago, LabRat said:

could be the extra stuff that installed with the nvidia drivers........ try uninstalling and doing a custom install and only install the graphics driver. nothing else.

you can open the device manager and look to see how many sound drivers you have installed and disable or uninstall what you are not using.

run malwarebytes. might have malware running.

run ccleaner. you might have an over abundance of cookies. this app will clean them out.

turn off windows auto updates and windows auto drive updates. ( two different things )

Since I've replaced the hard drive it's almost a fresh install of windows 7, I've checked the drivers and I only have one audio manager by realtek and the nvidia control panel is there (doesn't launch though for some reason) no apps running in the background. I think I will try upgrading the ram since i have space for one more stick.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Ditch the GPU, install a lightweight linux distro like Lubuntu and use it as a web browsing machine or for word processing as that is all it will really be capable of. Try to upgrade to faster RAM if it's compatible, otherwise that is a huge factor in what's weighing your performance down.

just curious, how can a gpu weigh down performance?

You said it seemed to start acting up after you added the graphics card. Logically, you would then remove that first and see how the performance is.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

You said it seemed to start acting up after you added the graphics card. Logically, you would then remove that first and see how the performance is.

I'll consider  trying that later, thanks

If you can add 2 gb ram of the same model, that'd help a lot. Assuming you are using chrome and some late Windows version(not XP)