Lan wall outlet 100mbps max

KevinSpanish

After some trouble i managed to get a lan wall outlet working:

Since we're currently in a deathbattle with our isp for only giving us 80 down while we pay for 150 we're testing some stuff around the network and for some reason every wired device has a 1gbps connection to the modem but my computers, which run trough the outlet mentioned in the quoted post, only get 100mbps it is only when i run world's longest cable (10 meters) from my pc to the modem (or to a switch in the network) i get 1gbps.

Plugging world's longest cable in the outlet and my computer results in 100mbps.

All of our wires are cat5e.

this is the outlet in question: https://www.conrad.nl/nl/metz-connect-1307380001-i-netwerkdoos-opbouw-cat-6-2-poorten-parel-wit-995270.html

site is dutch, sorry

any idea how i can fix this?

Because our isp has agreed to send a new modem which should get us 150 down but if i can't get more than 100mbps i won't be able to make use of the extra speed.

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

try to see if all the pins are connected using a multimeter on the outlet and the cable in question 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Sounds like at least one pin or wire is damaged somewhere along the path from one end to the other on the outlets.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

does one cable in the wall provide 2 x RJ45 plugs?

to the best of my knowledge gigabit requires 8 connected pins while 100 mbit only require 4. <-- can be utterly wrong here since I don't do that stuff myself, I just tell the elektro-man what I want and he has to deal with it :-)

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

try to see if all the pins are connected using a multimeter on the outlet and the cable in question 

I don't own a multimeter...

5 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Sounds like at least one pin or wire is damaged somewhere along the path from one end to the other on the outlets.

How can i test if there's a flaw somewhere?

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

does one cable in the wall provide 2 x RJ45 plugs?

to the best of my knowledge gigabit requires 8 connected pins while 100 mbit only require 4. <-- can be utterly wrong here since I don't do that stuff myself, I just tell the elektro-man what I want and he has to deal with it :-)

You can look in my quoted topic, it takes two wires for both connections ; )

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

Just now, KevinSpanish said:

I don't own a multimeter...

this is highly stupid but you can try to see if you can run a circuit 

use pins 1/2 to see if you can power a led, then use pin 3/4, and so on

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

You can look in my quoted topic, it takes two wires for both connections ; )

didn't bother to check to be honest :-)

so you get gigabit when using the worlds longest cable but not when using the wires in the wall, obvious conclusion: the wall wires are done wrong. Whoever did that, let them come over again and fix their mess.

Just now, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

However did that, let them come over again and fix their mess.

I did that...

i blame myself

here, let me save you a click:

Inkedunnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f_LI.jpg.969885a64b75eb62126d3d065936c6a0.jpg.36372a84c1dd56b07b5a54a58b0fd8f2.jpg

this is the wire and outlet i'm talking about, only it's now wired up according to the circled b-spec

This is exactly how both of them are wired.

the wire running from the outlet to my computer is just your lazy 'same colors at both ends' kind of wire (and so is world's longest cable)

Comic sans is best font

Its very common for people use a single run and use 2 pair for one connection and 2 for another. Reason being is blue is usually POE and brown is gigabit. So depending on when the house was built 100mbps was over kill and POE is rarely used in residential so why not split it and get two jacks?

I hate it when this is the case but it can be easily fixed by getting a new jack and re-keying it. 

Edit: Just saw the pic. 

If that is the pic of the jack, its wired wrong. Look at the blue and green pairs.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Its very common for people use a single run and use 2 pair for one connection and 2 for another. Reason being is blue is usually POE and brown is gigabit. So depending on when the house was built 100mbps was over kill and POE is rarely used in residential so why not split it and get two jacks?

I hate it when this is the case but it can be easily fixed by getting a new jack and re-keying it. 

Edit: Just saw the pic. 

If that is the pick of the jack, its wired wrong.

how should i have wired that jack?

Comic sans is best font

10 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

I did that...

i blame myself

Inkedunnamed3.jpg.1120bc61b7c6ad0d81c9c89020fd1f4f_LI.jpg.969885a64b75eb62126d3d065936c6a0.jpg.36372a84c1dd56b07b5a54a58b0fd8f2.jpg

this is the wire and outlet i'm talking about, only it's now wired up according to the circled b-spec

the wire running from the outlet to my computer is just your lazy 'same colors at both ends' kind of wire (and so is world's longest cable)

from what I can tell that should work out - unless you mixed some of the wires. maybe that "Netwerkdoos" is faulty internally? Replace? Test with another?

replace the cable running to said "Netwerkdoos"?

replace the house around it as a last option....

Just now, KevinSpanish said:

how should i have wired that jack?

If you look at your bottom circle in that pic you use the colors labeled B and follow that diagram. Just match the colors and you will be in business 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

If you look at your bottom circle in that pic you use the colors labeled B and follow that diagram. Just match the colors and you will be in business 

10 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

only it's now wired up according to the circled b-spec

The jacks are wired up as shown in the picture, the outlet is now wired up according tho the b-spec labeled on the outlet,

the picture was taken before someone said i needed tho follow the b-spec

Comic sans is best font

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

according to this the 2 blue wires are mixed up - blue&white is where blue should be as far as my old eyes can tell ...

3 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

according to this the 2 blue wires are mixed up - blue&white is where blue should be as far as my old eyes can tell ...

jack 1-8: orange-white orange geen-white blue blue-white green brown-white brown

outlet 1-8: orange-white orange blue blue-white green-white geen brown-white brown

the jack shown in the picture is on the other end of the cable that's connected to the outlet

Comic sans is best font

23 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

I did that...

i blame myself

uhm the diagram says ow, o, b, bw, gw, g , bw, b BUT it is wired ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b which do not match. I would wire it correctly.

ow, o, b, bw, gw, g , bw, b

ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b

EDIT: NVM it looks to be wired the same at both ends. (its better to keep it to a standard.

I would re do the wiring with a fresh cable.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

uhm the diagram says ow, o, b, bw, gw, g , bw, b BUT it is wired ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b which do not match. I would wire it correctly.

ow, o, b, bw, gw, g , bw, b

ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b

I am aware of that,

the picture was taken form when i was troubleshooting the outlet not working and was made before it was working.

After the picture was made i wired it according to the B-layout shown on the outlet

Comic sans is best font

1 minute ago, KevinSpanish said:

I am aware of that,

the picture was taken form when i was troubleshooting the outlet not working and was made before it was working.

After the picture was made i wired it according to the B-layout shown on the outlet

is the RJ45 plug in the picture the other end because it is wired ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b too.

I would undo it all and start over with a new piece of wire.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

is the RJ45 plug in the picture the other end because it is wired ow, o, gw, b, bw, g, bw, b too.

I would undo it all and start over with a new piece of wire.

the jack shown in the picture is at the other end of the outlet.

I could rewire it, that's not necessarily a problem

How should i wire up the jack and the outlet?

Comic sans is best font

9 minutes ago, KevinSpanish said:

the jack shown in the picture is at the other end of the outlet.

I could rewire it, that's not necessarily a problem

How should i wire up the jack and the outlet?

I use this. a cable tester helps find broken connections or when 2 connections are swapped. I recommend getting one (a cheap $10 is fine)

Now that I am thinking you may have done the cable reversed on the wall side.

ethcable568b.gif

here is one from the site you linked

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/intellinet-netwerktester-geschikt-voor-cat-3-cat-4-cat-5-cat-5e-cat-6-cat-6a-cat-7-1307982.html

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I use this. a cable tester helps find broken connections or when 2 connections are swapped. I recommend getting one (a cheap $10 is fine)

Now that I am thinking you may have done the cable reversed on the wall side.

ethcable568b.gif

That is exactly how it's wired up in the picture, before it was working...

Comic sans is best font

That is exactly how it's wired up in the picture, before it was working...

your issue is that one or more of the wires is not connected or having a poor connection.

so starting over a re wire it, making sure it is done correctly, and see if it works. if it doesn't get a wire tester and see if it shows anything or return it and get a new one.

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

your issue is that one or more of the wires is not connected or having a poor connection.

so starting over a re wire it, making sure it is done correctly, and see if it works. if it doesn't get a wire tester and see if it shows anything or return it and get a new one.

11 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

ethcable568b.gif

So i should wire up both ends again following this schematic?

Comic sans is best font

So i should wire up both ends again following this schematic?

That the most used standard. so I would go with that. basically you need pin 1 to be the same on each end and so on.

20 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That the most used standard. so I would go with that. basically you need pin 1 to be the same on each end and so on.

Wired both ends according to the schematic, only 100mbps

I'm starting to think the outlet can't do more than 100mbps, even though the store website says it can do 10 gigabit.

Comic sans is best font