Delid+Liquid metal thermal paste (My success story results)

Over the course of the weekend i finally got to delid my CPU, put liquid metal thermal paste on it, relid it, liquid metal thermal paste on that and assemble my PC. These are the results.
Important parts of the system:

i7 4790k OCed to 4.8 GHz and 1.3V with 0.015offset voltage

EK Supremacy Evo acetal nickel waterblock

360mm +180mm radiators both with Push/Pull config (total off 8 fans) + 2 fans in the case

2x pump: main - Swiftech mcp655-B (set to maximum speed always, running smoothly for more than 2.5 years)

in case main fails: Alphacool eiswolf GPX PRO 1070 waterblock + pump (without the rad)

Destiled water with germ killer and anticorosive solution as coolant

Room temperature:27*C

Before delid:

IC DIamond 24 carat

Idle: 30-35*C

Aida64 stress test (CPU,FPU,cache and system memory): 75-80*C

After delid, relid:

Thermal grizzly conductonaut liquid metal thermal paste

Idle: 25-30*C

Aida64 stress test (CPU,FPU,cache and system memory): 50-60*C

Deltas:

Idle: 5-10*C

Under full load: 15-25*C

Both tests had same voltage, same overclocks, same duration(1H).

For delid i used Delid-Die-Mate 2 and relid also with UHU Hightemperature Silikon.

Better results than expected, i dont think i could have gotten better, extremely happy i did it :P Though working with liquid metal is A BI***. When

it gets a smooth surface getting it off is like trying to catch ball that is covered in oil. 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Dang those are good temps. What kind of temps do you get with something more intensive, like the x264 stresser?

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

31 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Dang those are good temps. What kind of temps do you get with something more intensive, like the x264 stresser?

havent yet heard about that one, any link where to get it/ how to do it? :) 

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

Not bad. Impressive deltas.

I might have to give this some serious consideration next time I'm shopping for a CPU.

---

Nice. Been thinking about doing the same, but not sure if there's any point since I have a AIO cooler.

Specs

i9 9900K 5.1GHz 0 AVX offset

ASUS MAXIMUS APEX XI

Custom watercooling (360mm, 60mm thicc)

EVGA GTX1080 FTW DT

EVGA T2 1000W Platinum PSU

3200MHz G.Skill RGB B-die

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

2 hours ago, Klovnious said:

Nice. Been thinking about doing the same, but not sure if there's any point since I have a AIO cooler.

The cooler you're using shouldn't significantly affect your success.

(Unless you're using a huge custom loop, which keeps the chip near ambient under load without a delid.)

The AIO takes the heat from the heatspreader on the chip.

The interface between the chip and the heatspreader is what's being changed here.

I.e. the heat transfer from the chip to your cooler would be significantly better.

2 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

The cooler you're using shouldn't significantly affect your success.

(Unless you're using a huge custom loop, which keeps the chip near ambient under load without a delid.)

The AIO takes the heat from the heatspreader on the chip.

The interface between the chip and the heatspreader is what's being changed here.

I.e. the heat transfer from the chip to your cooler would be significantly better.

agree 100% with what you said, only addition would be that i also put the liquid metal between the heatspreader and the block itself which also helps with the heattransfer since now its chip->liquidmetal->heatspreader->liquidmetal->block (METAL FTW :D )

3 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

And this is probably the only reason I haven't really considered a delid.

I've got an overkill loop with more rad space than the CPU and GPU ever need.

The temps are pretty cool and the 6700K was never known to run particularly hot.

And my overclocks never hit thermal limits anymore. Just limits on how fast silicon can switch at the voltages I'm willing to subject it to.

But still, these are still impressive results.

And they are something to think about should I find myself dealing with a hot CPU in the future.

---

4 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

1 hour ago, PrimeSonic said:

I would say that it's actually the opposite, the more advanced your cooling of the IHS is, you're likely to see the benefits of delidding the CPU. With lower end coolers you are "bottlenecked" by the crappy transfer between the IHS and the CPU cooler, but as you get better coolers with copper plates that are cooled by water, you are likely to notice the TIM/height gap "limiting" the thermals.

I was not thrilled by the performance of my H100iV2 prior to delidding my 7700K, and so when I decided to go custom loop, I made sure I delidded prior to doing it since I knew if I didn't, the temps were not likely to be so different from the H100i v2 alone.

43 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I was not thrilled by the performance of my H100iV2 prior to delidding my 7700K, and so when I decided to go custom loop, I made sure I delidded prior to doing it since I knew if I didn't, the temps were not likely to be so different from the H100i v2 alone.

Yeah, I also wasn't thrilled with the performance of my H110iV2 when under load. And this is a 6700K we're talking about.

We're talking load temps that could easily go over 80C if I let it.

But after the custom loop was done, all my temps were so much lower.

Might I delid myself someday? Maybe. But right now, getting even lower temps just won't do anything for me at this point beyond just seeing lower numbers.

---

10 hours ago, PrimeSonic said:

Yeah, I also wasn't thrilled with the performance of my H110iV2 when under load. And this is a 6700K we're talking about.

We're talking load temps that could easily go over 80C if I let it.

But after the custom loop was done, all my temps were so much lower.

Might I delid myself someday? Maybe. But right now, getting even lower temps just won't do anything for me at this point beyond just seeing lower numbers.

One thing is for you to feel safer with lower temps, that might be worth it is the lifespan of the cpu, but that is not aways true since they are designed to run anywhere from 20-80*C for long periods of time.